Wolves vs Derby County - matchday thread.

Rev

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SkeggyRam said:

Keogh and Russell not good enough, both massive liabilities! 

I'm not a big fan of Russell - don't really know why. But today in the first half he was superb. Good running, but more importantly excellent use of the ball. 

Bent rolling back the years with that finish. What a goal. If we can focus on the first half performance, which in all honesty we could have gone in 5-0 at half time, we will be good.

4 points off the playoffs.........

We rode our luck a little in the 2nd half.

But the most important thing about this new McLaren era, is that we've started creating our own luck too. 

Thats the thing that's so reminiscent of his first spell in charge.

We can beat ourselves up about the 2nd half performance (and it was a bit squeaky bum stuff). But we would've given several limbs to have had a first half performance like that when Pearson was here.

Thats progress!

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

On chances it was a lot closer than it should have been. How Derby didn't score at least six is beyond me.

That Vydra miss was terrible, he had the whole goal to aim at and tried to go back across the goalkeeper yet hit it straight at him. Not sure why he didn't just place it in the other wide open corner.

Still convinced their first goal was offside, but the commentators made nothing of it.

Jeez you really hate Vydra don't you mate? How about the misses from our other players in the first half?

5 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Agreed. He's not a right back. Looked out of his depth. Much more freedom for Cavaleiro with Hanson as they didn't have to worry about a double attacking threat down the right hand side. Christie is underrated to be honest when you look at the alternatives. We've got three very good left backs for this division when all fit, right back we have nobody after Christie.

I said at the start of the season we needed another player to compete with christie. Hanson not only struggled against Cavaleiro he was unable to deal with basic clearances. Hopefully Christie isn't badly injured and SM deals with this issue in the transfer window.

Chris Solly would be my choice.  

Away wins at Wolves are not to be sniffed at. We don't often win there. sounds like we were magnificent first half. Macs work is beginning to have an effect that's for sure. The players still have lots of mental scars and once we leak a goal we still collapse like a pack of cards without Thorne to steady the ship. Like in the past, Bent and Ince were back to their old tricks and we outscored the opposition. Grinding out the result, even though it wasn't pretty to watch, was an important bit of progress. Both Hughes and Keogh cleared off the line for us. 

If Maclaren and Chrissy Powell can find a way to get more defensive solidity will make a huge difference for the team to really make something of this season. 

Get in  the Rams won again. 

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

On chances it was a lot closer than it should have been. How Derby didn't score at least six is beyond me.

That Vydra miss was terrible, he had the whole goal to aim at and tried to go back across the goalkeeper yet hit it straight at him. Not sure why he didn't just place it in the other wide open corner.

Still convinced their first goal was offside, but the commentators made nothing of it.

Yes, I thought their guy in the middle never came back on side. Vydra's miss was awful.

Great win but a couple of niggles;

Butterfield trying to take on a couple of players and losing the ball instead of taking a simple pass on a few occasions.

Losing Christie was massive, shows how important he is.

Panic stations from everyone for the last twenty minutes.

Other than that a great win and its nice to be entertained. Ince, Bent and Hughes were excellent.

When you look at the game as a whole we were good. It was a great away win. You take the first half on its own and we were fantastic. We tore them to shreds.

We like making things hard for ourselves but we're getting there. Mac said the focus of this weeks training was intensity and it showed. Keep that up, take a couple more chances and don't invite so much pressure. That's the next steps for us. If we achieve that then we'll be up there in no time at all.

Hearts beating a little faster than it should be but I'm happy with what I saw today. Onwards and upwards.

5 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Agreed. He's not a right back. Looked out of his depth. Much more freedom for Cavaleiro with Hanson as they didn't have to worry about a double attacking threat down the right hand side. Christie is underrated to be honest when you look at the alternatives. We've got three very good left backs for this division when all fit, right back we have nobody after Christie.

Christie had Cavaliero in his back pocket tbh in the first half. Christie had the pace and strength to compete with him but Hanson quite simply couldn't live with his pace. Easy for me to say in hindsight but I would have brought Anya on for Christie because at least he wouldn't have been beat for pace.

for the wolves penalty claim, it's the way their guy swings his legs about that makes it obvious - his going down not looking like the contact caused.

Think it was a bit kind the one we got, watching it i assumed it'd be waved away.

Vydra is real quality - just needs to do the simple thing sometimes, but his effort saved was not a bad effort at all, their keeper got just enough contact with his leg to get it on the post - moved well, looks sharp, the one he hooked across ended up well wide but I think it was the right thing to try as he didn't have close support.

Surprised Anya didn't come on for Russell, in fact, if it hadn't been for Christie getting injured I'm sure he would have.

Archived