Next Manager

BuckoBeast

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rowett's Birmingham reminds me of Derby under Paul Clement, but with less talented players.

I should add there are key differences in terms of possession. But I mean Birmingham like to get men behind the ball and in shape, line up with a lone forward in Donaldson and creative wide players off him, and they look to counterattack.

Rowett's done a solid job there considering the mess he took over. But I don't find them particularly exciting to watch.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

So was Paul Clement (although I realise he was a coach by trade).

Just don't think the football any of Rowetts teams have played is what MM was looking for.

Of course Rowett could say he has only been able to work with what he had and given financial support would play a completely different brand of football.

who would you suggest then?

Well if we're looking at somebody still employed, I think we could do better than Rowett. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the bloke but if we are going to go down the caretaker route until the summer we could keep tabs on Wagner at Huddersfield or Johnson at Bristol City or even Neill at Norwich. 

Let's take our time and get it right this time after all, many people were going to be happy with a season of transition under the class act.

Can't be ar**ed to read all 24 pages so don't know if anyone else has mentioned him, but I reckon that Lee Johnson, at Bristol City, is one to watch. He likes fast, on-the-ground football. He's still only about 34 and worked wonders at Barnsley last year, only to be poached by BC.

He'd probably fit the 'Derby way', and I believe he's an ex-Ram, but it would probably cost an arm and a leg to prise him away. I gather BC are not short of the folding stuff.

Just now, Phoenix said:

Can't be ar**ed to read all 24 pages so don't know if anyone else has mentioned him, but I reckon that Lee Johnson, at Bristol City, is one to watch. He likes fast, on-the-ground football. He's still only about 34 and worked wonders at Barnsley last year, only to be poached by BC.

He'd probably fit the 'Derby way', and I believe he's an ex-Ram, but it would probably cost an arm and a leg to prise him away. I gather BC are not short of the folding stuff.

That's not a bad shout. My only worry would be convincing him to leave mid-season.

5 minutes ago, robglosta said:

Going for Wagner would be the managerial equivalent of the Blackman signing. Need some experience of this league and would probably have to be *gulp* Bruce out of the current crop. 

I suggested keeping tabs on Wagner and Johnson for the remainder of the season mainly to see if they showed genuine managerial nous and were not a flash in the pan. :thumbsup:

16 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Time for Simo Valakari. His club has turned down offers from Scottish PL, but I think they'd allow him to move to us.

He has done marvellous job last couple of seasons, developing players and even winning the league (which is quite an achievement when you don't manage HJK).

When I was 8 years old I was a mascot against Rushden and Diamonds in a pre-season friendly, and Simo Valakari told me I was good at football.

I don't trust his judgement.

5 minutes ago, 86 points said:

who would you suggest then?

It's not as easy as suggesting a manager in my eyes.

Any manager that is going to guarantee you good football is already at another club better than Derby!

Unless you have sat there and listened to a potential manager ideas it really is pointless speculating whether they would be good or not (and yes I understand I have probably some the same with Rowett).

For me the important traits I would want are attractive football and an emphasis on developing our own youth. I would also want a manager that would work on a budget much lower than the sums thrown around in the last few seasons.

The ideal manager for me would be a Nigel Clough type manager but one with the conviction to stick to playing football rather than abandon at the first sign of adversity.

8 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Barnsley were 14th in League One when he joined Brizzle.

Id like to see us make a run at Wagner. Don't agree he is any more of a gamble than anyone else. You can never be sure how anyone will setlle at a club. We just hired someone who was as proven as they come at this level, however it coudlnt have been a worse fit. We have a team of footballers who need a manager who will play football to get the best out of them. Wagner and Johnson both fit the mould for me, however I think Wagner stands out based on what he is doing at Huddersfield. He signed a lot of players to play his system, however didnt spend a ridiculous amount in compairson to others in the division. His team is great to watch and fits The Derby Way.

For anyone who believes he wouldnt leave Huddersfield, I disagree. We are Derby County and are backed my a very wealthy owner.

a Clough & McClaren team, Clough buying, picking and managing the team, with McClaren coaching them and keeping them fit, positive and happy, COULD have been the ticket.

I think Sam has burnt bridges with Clough and Mel has burnt bridges with McClaren, so it won't happen! lol

5 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

All this Wagner talk ! Why ? Because Huddersfield are top of the league (for now) and it's in fashion to be like ked with Jurgen Klopp! No thanks another flash in the pan . Let's stick with one of our own please! 

Exactly I don't get the hype of him.. 

Archived