Beer Thread

Cisse

It's strange how beer can taste different depending where you are. I've made about 25 trips to Anglophone west Africa and drank bottles and bottles of Star beer which is the best selling beer in Sierra Leone, Ghana and Nigeria. Over there it tastes great- cold and tasty and 5%. I've found somewhere near me that sells it so bought a couple and settled down to savour it. In the cool and cloudy UK it tasted like otter piss. Even in the recent hot weather it was no better. Ah well back to Marston's Old Empire. 

50 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

It's strange how beer can taste different depending where you are. I've made about 25 trips to Anglophone west Africa and drank bottles and bottles of Star beer which is the best selling beer in Sierra Leone, Ghana and Nigeria. Over there it tastes great- cold and tasty and 5%. I've found somewhere near me that sells it so bought a couple and settled down to savour it. In the cool and cloudy UK it tasted like otter piss. Even in the recent hot weather it was no better. Ah well back to Marston's Old Empire. 

Possible a case of there being such a lack of choice that you subconsciously convince yourself that you're drinking something good.

Perhaps it's brewed slightly differently for export, or worse, contract brewed by some terrible UK brewery and dressed up as the authentic product? I can't see evidence of that online though.

Or it could just be poo? It is brewed by Heineken after all.

Personally I don't touch anything by 'Martons' tbh. Marstons haven't existed since about 1998 after a hostile takeover by Wolverhampton & Dudley who've slowly, slowly reduced the quality of every beer they brew (along with those from smaller breweries they've bought out along the way such as Wychwood, Ringwood and many more). Their beers are soon to be brewed by Carlsberg so may even take a further downturn in quality.

Edited by Coconut

1 hour ago, Turk Thrust said:

I always though Guinness was the big selling drink in Nigeria?

14 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I always though Guinness was the big selling drink in Nigeria?

Lager beers are the really big sellers. In Ghana for instance there are Club, Gulder and Star. Nigeria has loads of breweries. Guinness Foreign Extra is a big seller in all the old colonial countries around the world sometimes brewed under licence or as in Ghana brewed by Guinness Ghana. It's 7.5% (except in Malaysia where it's 8%) but very expensive. Lovely drink with none of the bitterness of the stout. Available in UK as well. 

19 hours ago, Coconut said:

Possible a case of there being such a lack of choice that you subconsciously convince yourself that you're drinking something good.

Perhaps it's brewed slightly differently for export, or worse, contract brewed by some terrible UK brewery and dressed up as the authentic product? I can't see evidence of that online though.

Or it could just be poo? It is brewed by Heineken after all.

Personally I don't touch anything by 'Martons' tbh. Marstons haven't existed since about 1998 after a hostile takeover by Wolverhampton & Dudley who've slowly, slowly reduced the quality of every beer they brew (along with those from smaller breweries they've bought out along the way such as Wychwood, Ringwood and many more). Their beers are soon to be brewed by Carlsberg so may even take a further downturn in quality.

Think you're overthinking it. More likely to be the same as a holiday romance.   It feels different when you're back home. Oddly enough Nigerian beers all have sorghum added which supposedly alters the taste but I've never noticed. 

And not really worried about who owns Marston's - I think the Old Empire IPA at 5.7 is great!

Samichlaus Classic for me today, had it once before in 2016, Eddie's posts reminded me it existed but also informed me there was more than one version. 

Could only get hold of the classic, £5.95 from suds and soda which isn't too far over the odds tbf.

Yep, a lovely sweet, sticky, boozy doppelbock worth savouring.

Edited by Coconut

15 hours ago, Coconut said:

Samichlaus Classic for me today, had it once before in 2016, Eddie's posts reminded me it existed but also informed me there was more than one version. 

Could only get hold of the classic, £5.95 from suds and soda which isn't too far over the odds tbf.

Yep, a lovely sweet, sticky, boozy doppelbock worth savouring.

Try the Samichlaus Schwarzes.

I picked 3 up from BeersOfEurope the other day, but be warned. They seem to disappear very quickly. Two appear to have evaporated already.1176705490_samichlausschwarzes.thumb.jpg.bd5318cc32155623b5cffc81dc8de07a.jpg

20 hours ago, froggg said:

Nice hoppy hazy beer at three quid a pop from Tesco.

937A3A3F-46EE-4577-B2A3-7873D98163A5.jpeg

North are nearly the perfect brewery, the Herzog and Sputnick are two of my favourites.  They have some really good small bars in and around the Leeds-Bradford area that are worth a visit, especially the one at Otley.

7 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

North are nearly the perfect brewery, the Herzog and Sputnick are two of my favourites.  They have some really good small bars in and around the Leeds-Bradford area that are worth a visit, especially the one at Otley.

Nothing and I mean absolutely nothing is worth visiting the Leeds-Bradford area for...

On 26/06/2020 at 13:13, Eddie said:
  • Chimay Cinq Cents 1 x 75 cl
  • Lupulus Organicus 1 x 75 cl
  • St Bernardus Tripel 1 x 75 cl
  • Westmalle Tripel 1 x 75 cl
  • Gouden Carolus Classic 1 x 75 cl
  • Gulden Draak 1 x 75 cl
  • La Trappe Quad 1 x 75 cl
  • St Barnardus Abt 12 1 x 75 cl
  • Straffe Hendrik Quad 1 x 75 cl
  • Straffe Hendrik Tripel 3 x 75 cl
  • Karmeleit Tripel 3 x 75 cl
  • LeFort Tripel 3 x 75 cl

Just arrived - now in quarantine until Sunday.

It was ordered a couple of days before Tesco started selling Tripel Karmeleit - that's the best part of a month ago. I think Kurt needs to employ another couple of packers.

Today's order, just put in to web-bier.de:

• Erdinger Pikantus - 6
  • Weltenburger Kloster Asam Bock - 4
  • Paulaner Salvator - 4
  • Hacker Pschorr Munchner Kellerbier Anno 1417 - 4
  • Augustiner Beer Munich Edelstoff - 4
  • Tegernseer Spezial Lager Beer - 2

£53 the lot, including P&P

First beers in a pub yesterday. Went to two local places. Everyone was well behaved and the atmosphere was chilled. 

Beers consumed -

Huyghe Bavo Pils 4.2%

Kona Big Wave Golden ale 4.4%

Oakham Inferno 4.0%

Erdinger Weissbier 5.3%

Not the most imaginative selection but nice to have them in a pub rather than at home.