Derby v Liverpool (Leicester v Dortmund)

B4ev6is

26 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Mark Wright (on Liverpool TV) sees us as a total pushover tonight: "Derby aren't playing well. They've lost their confidence from last season. Not achieving anything to date. "

He sees Liverpool being "successful"

Amazes me how pundits and ex pro's at that always fall into this trap. Out of the blue comes a humdinger and off form inferior side knocks out superior side firing on all cylinders. Not saying this is what will happen tonight and just taking Ninos word for it that somewhere along the line Mark Wright has said he predicts an easy win for Liverpool. The above statements are correct but underestimate Derby if you want Mr Wright. I hope their players do too.

If Bradford can reach a cup final whilst in the lower reaches of English football and then beat Chelsea 4-2 away then Derby knocking out Liverpool tonight isn't really that difficult to foresee. Unlikely but it wouldn't be a shock.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

This is an interesting point and one which as I'm interested in psychology is something I've still not worked out.

Many times I've seen players at league 2 play cup games against teams from leagues higher and not looked anywhere short of being at a higher level themselves yet the next game when its Fleetwood away the old player returns.

They've proved they can do it against higher opposition so why can't they put in the same level of performance against lower opposition a week later?

Weird

Yes the psychology plays a big part but there is also something in an individuals genetic make up when it comes to athletes. You could take two people of identical physique / fitness,  but one can run 100m in under ten seconds the other struggle to do in under 15 seconds.

50 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Mark Wright (on Liverpool TV) sees us as a total pushover tonight: "Derby aren't playing well. They've lost their confidence from last season. Not achieving anything to date. "

He sees Liverpool being "successful"

That's because we're rubbish, this game will suit us more but I can't see us doing more than booting the ball upfrield ala Leicester with Vardy, as you'd expect I can't see Vydra getting the same results.

Easy Liverpool win, terrible draw for us sadly.

51 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Thankfully, this game is the main game on beinsports channel, which means it is on almost everywhere over here, I'm in Crete in case you are wondering :) 

Good to know for anyone on here with a web browser and a searchbar who is "also in Crete".

(To look up the location of beach-side bars that are legally allowed to show the game, obviously).

1 minute ago, europia said:

Yes the psychology plays a big part but there is also something in an individuals genetic make up when it comes to athletes. You could take two people of identical physique / fitness,  but one can run 100m in under ten seconds the other struggle to do in under 15 seconds.

See what you're saying but I was more thinking about footballers in general europia. If for example Wrexham play Forest in a cup tie and play out of their skin they they'll probably still end up losing but match them for long periods. If Wrexham played out of their skin the following week against Barrow in the same manner then in all likelihood it's 3 points in the bag.

In actual fact if I was a manager and I didn't get the same levels of application in the subsequent league games that I got against the big side a week earlier then i'd be asking questions. If they can do it against the likes of Forest for example then they can do it against the likes of Barrow.

3 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Just seen the clubs usual pre match email they sent me. Tonight's charity collection is to raise some money to send a 35 year old mum of 4 for alternative cancer treatment as most doctors have diagnosed it as untreatable. I don't know the lady in question but her story brought a tear and just want to urge anyone to please leave something in the buckets if you possibly can. Obviously we all have charities close to out hearts, some people will give to the homeless whilst others won't and prefer to give to animal charities or whatever. I think though in this case it's a mum of four kiddies who needs help and surely everyone can empathise with this?

Not even sure if encouraging fans to donate is allowed on here so apologies but just found the story so touching that thought i'd do the only things I can to help which is mention it on here and leave a donation myself tonight and wish them all the best wishes and hope in the world.

Her name is Hayley and you can donate as well here: https://www.gofundme.com/hayleyscancerfight

she also has a FB group if anyone is interested called "Hayley's Cancer Fight" where you can follow her story and send her messages/brown envelopes of support. 

She used to work at DCFC along with her husband, who now works at Sheff Wed. I believe Forestieri recently donated a substantial amount towards her cause. 

Anyway, there's the link if anyone would like to help. 

12 minutes ago, Alex W said:

That's because we're rubbish, this game will suit us more but I can't see us doing more than booting the ball upfrield ala Leicester with Vardy, as you'd expect I can't see Vydra getting the same results.

Easy Liverpool win, terrible draw for us sadly.

Will be hard for him to do anything from the stands :p

14 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

We're not great at cup upsets are we?

Stoke away 2008 League Cup quarter-final? Well I enjoyed it!

We are impressively consistent at being the victims of a cup upset though.  How many times have we been beaten by lower league teams in the last 20-30 years? 

2 hours ago, cosmic said:

Her name is Hayley and you can donate as well here: https://www.gofundme.com/hayleyscancerfight

she also has a FB group if anyone is interested called "Hayley's Cancer Fight" where you can follow her story and send her messages/brown envelopes of support. 

She used to work at DCFC along with her husband, who now works at Sheff Wed. I believe Forestieri recently donated a substantial amount towards her cause. 

Anyway, there's the link if anyone would like to help. 

Her husband is  lad called 'Kall' quite a few people in the 30 to 40 year age that have played local football (both Saturdays and Sundays) will know him, he's a top bloke and great company on a night out.

Very sad news with Hayley, an FF donated £10k if I have remembered correctly.

2 minutes ago, BranstonRam said:

Is Carson injured. At least " keep it real Chris Weale" is on the bench. Baird as well!?!? Madness

Liverpool will run rings around Baird. Surprised it is Pearce again as well and not Shackell. (not complaining though)

Both teams started strong first XI's. Coutinho and Firmino are both class. Glad to see Sturridge isn't involved. 

Interesting to see Carson not involved, however neither is Bryson so I doubt it's to punish him in any way. Great experience for Mitchell, heard he's good so looking forward to seeing him.

Come on you Rams, let's surprise everybody for once.

Archived