Derby v Liverpool (Leicester v Dortmund)

B4ev6is

I really don't understand what Pearson's tactical thinking is when he sets the team out like tonight. It's the same against every opponent, the fact Liverpool didn't get out of second gear helped us massively scoreline wise. 

Surely the coaching staff realise that whatever the tactics they are trying to impose on the team don't work? The passing sideways 12 times before spreading it to Christie or lumping it to a motionless Bent. It's so, so easy to read. Tonight might as well have been a replay of the Newcastle game, or the Barnsley game, or the Villa game etc.  

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

Do you really believe that putting an out-of-form Ince on from the start would have had a significant bearing on that result?

Personally, I really wouldn't mind seeing him leave the club. He doesn't fit into the ethos that we're adopted. 

What is the ethos that we have adopted? Dont score any goals? Concede goals in injury time? Run around like headless chickens? Let your best players go out on loan? I really have no idea what Pearson is trying to do but I he'd better start shaping up PDQ. 

13 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Can't expect anything else from this tie, we can't be too down beat when all said and done they are leagues ahead of us right now. 

0-3 isn't great but it's better than I'd predicted before hand. 

We move on

It's not just Liverpool who are leagues ahead..... Teams in our own division are leagues ahead I fear

2 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

When you can tell me 15-20 more that each of those 2 has made then come back pal......

Must admit I'm being facetious. I agree Keogh makes a lot of mistakes. He is what he is - a good championship defender, who is our best ball playing centre back.

I would say Bryson and Hughes actually do make a similar amount of errors, but they get away with them as they tend to be further up the pitch. However, the deeper those two get the more mistakes they seem to make - Hughes leaving his man for Burton's goal etc.

I wouldn't drop him because from all accounts Rawson is awful with the ball at his feet and we struggle with keeping hold of the ball enough as it is. 

6 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

We have pace and quality, but given that our players don't have the benefit of working under Pearson before and so we don't have the players that are already committed to him, it's going to take longer than it did under Leicester. 

I think Pearson has the thick skin to see this through, but our buying has been poor. I really want him to succeed. 

1 minute ago, PodgeyRam said:

Must admit I'm being facetious. I agree Keogh makes a lot of mistakes. He is what he is - a good championship defender, who is our best ball playing centre back.

I would say Bryson and Hughes actually do make a similar amount of errors, but they get away with them as they tend to be further up the pitch. However, the deeper those two get the more mistakes they seem to make - Hughes leaving his man for Burton's goal etc.

I wouldn't drop him because from all accounts Rawson is awful with the ball at his feet and we struggle with keeping hold of the ball enough as it is. 

Think this emphasises the mistake made when the transfer window was still open of not bringing in a defensive-minded midfielder.

9 minutes ago, gazram80 said:

The heart of the team from 3 seasons ago has been ripped out somewhere along the line. I feel no connection whatsoever. I did not think I would be saying that this season. I expected that we may have to accept lesser football style under Pearson but I'm shocked at the lack of fight from the current players.

The heart of this CLUB (not team) left the moment the fans moaned about a 3-0 win against Brighton. 

The bond was broken. The feelgood factor washed away in an afternoon. Just like that it became acceptable to criticise winning professionally and the team has NEVER recovered, and never will into everyone here then has gone!

Just now, PistoldPete2 said:

What is the ethos that we have adopted? Dont score any goals? Concede goals in injury time? Run around like headless chickens? Let your best players go out on loan? I really have no idea what Pearson is trying to do but I he'd better start shaping up PDQ. 

Look at any one of his previous clubs, listen to his interviews, read between the lines. 

The man isn't panicked and isn't worried about losing his job. He doesn't particularly sound under pressure. 

I think what he wants is blatantly transparent and I'm sure I don't need to spell it out to you, but quite plainly not scoring goals isn't his intention. Don't act like you think that's the case when clearly you're intelligent enough to know it isn't. 

7 minutes ago, Boss said:

Didn't expect anything other than a defeat tonight. However, I hate how negative our football is right now. That formation in the first half was beyond disastrous. Clement was sacked just after Christmas because of the style of play. Pearson's style, in my opinion, is 10 times worse. In fact, I don't even know what his style is. How long does he get? Ticket prices just as disastrous and negative as the performances so far as well...

4 shots on goal all night pathetic,  absolutely pathetic, gutless.

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

Think this emphasises the mistake made when the transfer window was still open of not bringing in a defensive-minded midfielder.

Pearson doesn't play defensive midfielders. Think we're doomed to say this a lot of times over the coming season. Doubt Thorne will even get into the team when he's fit - isn't a headless chicken runner like Pearson likes.

33 minutes ago, Whitley ram said:

1988 Micky Lewis welcomes John Barnes to the BBG with a crunching tackle. Liverpool 28 games unbeaten, Rams near the bottom of the table, open the scoring through Craig Johnston. We keep at them all match, never let them settle. Eventually Forsyth gets the equalizer. 

The contrasts with this lame effort are huge. Where did the passion, the desire go to?

Just arrived home. Other than the score I know nothing about tonight. However, I fear you're looking at past performances through rose-tinted spectacles. For the 1988 game my recollection is that we did nothing until Forsyth scored a late equalizer. At that point Liverpool started panicking about their unbeaten record and were all over the shop, but we didn't have time to capitalize. I left the game thinking what might have been if we'd actually tried and gone at them throughout the match.

Sadly, a quick look at the forum suggests tonight was the same as that and the same as the recent cujp games against Chelsea and Man U when we never ever gave it a go, just trying and failing to contain superior opposition. That's not the way to play in these matches. You have to take risks and go for it. At least then you'll have a chance of winning.

Oh, I also see from the prominence on the forum of one of the threads I don't bother with (because of its cringeworthy title) that the Keogh haters are out in force. Haters gonna hate. Poor "supporters" in my book.

Archived