Steve Mc worried for Derby!

irobinson

6 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

If some geordie Slapper offers you the chance to move in with her, and you ignore her and carry on living with your current, loyal mrs. Have YOU done anything wrong? NO.

True. But if your missus chucks you out and you immediately move in with the Geordie lass, you can hardly be surprised if your ex-missus's friends are suspicious.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Without wishing to reopen that old debate (and without knowing what actually went on behind closed doors) I'm not sure how SM got a raw deal from Derby and especially the fans. The Newcastle situation clearly made his position at Derby untenable.

Having said that, I don't really have anything against him, you can't really blame him for being tempted and he was in a difficult position. I'd read his opinions with as much interest as any other "pundit" asked. 

I've said on here before that any Derby owner andor fan who resents a manager for "having his head turned" by a bigger club is being infantile. It is the way of the world and we ought (a) recognise that it will  happen (and plan for it); and (b) be almost pleased if it does as the alternative (a manager that no bigger club would ever consider) is worse. Seriously, isn't it better to be regarded as a strong club which is a breeding ground for ambitious managers looking to do a job for Derby en route to their next step up, than be regarded as a killing field for managers?

That said, McClaren, by all accounts, could've taken the Newcastle job in January but chose to see out the season with Derby. Regardless of his motivation in doing so, he committed to see out the season...at least. He says that he'd not made up his mind but was inclined to take the Newcastle job all things being equal.

Most Derby people disbelieve him on that score; I don't. It is actually consistent with what took place after the season after we missed promotion.

So...to my mind, instead of recognising an unusual level of gratitude and loyalty toward Derby (ie not accepting the "bigger" job immediately), we threw a tantrum. To be fair, had our promotion prospects not been derailed too, I suspect most fans would have reacted with less outright hostility.

But derailed they were. Why? Because our owner believed that he "deserved" a manager/head coach as committed to the long term goals for Derby as he is (which, though understandable in emotional terms, is NEVER feasible; they're Mel's ambitions for Mel's club. For employees, those ambitions are relevant only as part of their career) and something alternating between internecine warfare and World War III broke out.

In hindsight, it was perhaps a mistake for McClaren not to have left in January if he even wanted to consider the Newcastle job. In that regard, he misread Mel Morris.

I suspect (but cannot know) that McClaren, Rush and the previous board had discussed the likelihood of his leaving at season's end and agreed a timetable. With commendable professionalism, Derby even started identifying suitable replacements. Whether it was amicable and planned before the transition to Mel's sole ownership, we do know that Mel was unhappy with McClaren for "disloyalty".

But, then, after McClaren tried to stay (or pretended to do so, depending on your view), we sacked him. Clearly, by that stage, we were too far down the track with Clement for starters. That's understandable (though looks stupid in hindsight). To try to reneg on his payout, however, was an incredible act of unprofessionalism, bordering on bastardry.

To top it off, we slammed his reputation publicly.

For mine, the bitterness with which McClaren was treated was entirely unnecessary and quite foolhardy.

6 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Forget it, he's been and gone.

We have to get behind Pearson, no choice now but to suck it up and stick with it.

It's like asking a roofer to repoint your chimney, when he's got up on the roof he's seen a load more problems he didn't spot when quoting the original job.

You're not sure if he's genuine or ripping you off, but now he's taken the tiles off its too late to go back.

It's a great analogy.

But not only do you have to take his word for the state of your chimney  (team), you can't see whether or not he's trying to fix it with play-doh. 

8 hours ago, Boycie said:

I assume rush n Morris don't hate Mac. 

But I can't see Pearson letting Mac into the fold as a coach.

MM was very less than complimentary about Mac. Made it clear that it was his decision to sack him and said he would have done it earlier had the Americans agreed to it.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

MM was very less than complimentary about Mac. Made it clear that it was his decision to sack him and said he would have done it earlier had the Americans agreed to it.

Because of the Newcastle interest, prior to that he was the dogs.

if he was to come back, and accept its his last job and be happy to get success with us and maybe end on a high note then I think it could work.

If he comes back and gets us up and is thinking about another pay day somewhere else then no.

But I think maybe Mel has let too much water flow under the bridge, would it work again? Who knows, it's a funny old game Saint.

I'm only guessing but it seemed to me that he was going to Newcastle at end of season all agreed whether under the table or not ,then Newcastle decided they wanted him to come in for the run in as they were really close to relegation , Mac did nt want that ( if he went there and went down anyway it's a real bad start with a fan base that really did nt want him anyway ?) Newcastle perhaps threatened that if he did nt come for the run in the end of season offer was off the table , at which point Mac then decides to commit to Derby , Mel deosnt want to be used in that way and already lining up clement wants him to resign ,, he won't so is sacked , Newcastle stay up and decide to go with the end of season offer as there's no compo now an d they kind of wanted him anyway plus they have stayed up ,,,,,,, may be totally wrong but that was the vibe I got from watching the whole saga unfold,

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks playing Christie there could be a master-stroke. (holding/defensive midfielder)

Yep, definitely just you :lol:

Honestly though, he doesn't have the speed of thought, awareness or discipline to play the position. 

37 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I wonder if I'm the only one who thinks playing Christie there could be a master-stroke. (holding/defensive midfielder)

Good lord I think that's the worst idea I've ever seen written on the internet. :lol: A man who isn't the greatest defensiveely aand doesn't know when to release the ball. That's begging for us to get caught on the counter time and time again.

Steve McClaren: Former England manager turned student wants to run a club

McClaren was sacked by Newcastle United in March after nine months in charge

Former England and Newcastle United boss Steve McClaren says he eventually wants to run his own football club.

The 55-year-old Englishman, who was sacked by Newcastle in March, says he still has ambitions as a manager.

But he has recently enrolled at Manchester Metropolitan University in order to gain a Masters degree in Sporting Directorship.

"The next step in the future will be as a chief executive or sporting director, or even running my own club," he said.

"To do that I had to acquire different skills and go back to school. It's probably old age. I always wanted to coach and manage. I know that won't last forever."

McClaren managed England from August 2006 to November 2007 and also had spells in charge of Middlesbrough, Derby County, Nottingham Forest, German side Wolfsburg and Dutch club FC Twente.

"I still have a few years left in me yet on the field," he told BBC Sport.

"I have had offers from abroad, but nothing that appeals. I don't want to go to China. I feel I have something to offer here. If not here, then in Europe."

The two-year part-time course, the first of its kind in the United Kingdom, counts former England cricketer Ashley Giles among its alumni.

McClaren is in the third intake of students, a group that includes:

Kevin Davies, a former footballer with England, Chesterfield, Southampton, Blackburn, Bolton and Preston;

Mark Cueto, a former rugby union player with England and Sale Sharks;

Karen Bardsley, the England and Manchester City Women goalkeeper;

Gary Bowyer, the manager of League Two football club Blackpool;

Mike Rush, the chief executive of top rugby league club St Helens.

Former Manchester United and Everton assistant manager Steve Round, another current student, was recently appointed technical director at Aston Villa.

McClaren with his famous classmates including Cueto, Bardsley, Bowyer and Davies

'I was the right man at the wrong time'

McClaren has suggested that his spell with Newcastle came at the wrong time.

He was sacked after nine months in charge at St James' Park, winning six of 28 Premier League games.

Newcastle appointed former Liverpool, Chelsea and Real Madrid boss Rafa Benitez as his successor, but suffered relegation to the Championship.

McClaren believes the club have now restructured well under the Spaniard.

"Run correctly and righty, as a football club it will thrive," said McClaren. "Unfortunately, I was the right man at the wrong time.

"What Rafa has done is gone in and gained control. It needed a big change.

"He has bought players with Championship experience, leaders in the dressing room, which was something that was badly needed."

Sounds like his next job may well be his last!

21 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Good lord I think that's the worst idea I've ever seen written on the internet. :lol: A man who isn't the greatest defensiveely aand doesn't know when to release the ball. That's begging for us to get caught on the counter time and time again.

Think of it logically though. He's a defender. A defender should be better defensively than a midfielder, he's got enough to do the job til Thorne returns, he's fast and that role is about interceptions and movement.

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Think of it logically though. He's a defender. A defender should be better defensively than a midfielder, he's got enough to do the job til Thorne returns, he's fast and that role is about interceptions and movement.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

Yep, definitely just you :lol:

Honestly though, he doesn't have the speed of thought, awareness or discipline to play the position. 

I direct  you @rynny's post. You have to be bright to make interceptions, to have good reading of the game. Christie doesn't have that. Its part of what has made Thorne so good at it, he's certainly not fast, but he can read the game.

You're right, a defender should be better defensively than a midfielder, but we don't use that position to just defend. We use to it launch attacks and to do that you need to kno when to release the ball, something Christie has shown he isn't very good at.

Plus, you move him out you have to move someone else to right back. We slated Clough time and time again for moving several players around when one person got injured. It should be the same here. Play everyone in their best position and cover only one. Don't shift someone out of position to cover, because then you need to find cover for two positions.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Definitely just you, lacks the anticipation, strength and speed of thought and vision to play the role, he's definitely built to be a wide player and a wide player only imo, his speed is more more useful out there than the middle of the park, where someone with the relative lack of pace of Thorne has real success

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I can see your thinking , would really need to learn positional discipline though and is his passing ability right ? It's a thought though

Archived