Steve Mc worried for Derby!

irobinson

38 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Performances never convincing? During our first season under McClaren we had a number of OK performances. In fact, we won three games 1-0 on the bounce (QPR, Brighton and Sheff Wed) and neither was exactly a dominating performance.

I think a few are clouded by our form at the end of the 2013/14 season where we played five average sides on the spin and pretty much won them all comfortably (Barnsley, Blackpool, Watford, Huddersfield and Doncaster).

Not all of the 2013/14 season was as rosy. Beofre we beat Forest 5-0 we hadn't scored for four matches, including two home games against Bolton and Millwall.

The first half of the 2014/15 season fell in line. Some spectacular wins against the likes of Fulham (5-1 and 5-2), Wolves (5-0), some easy wins (Brighton 3-0, Reading 3-0, Bolton 2-0), some solid wins over good teams (Blackburn 3-2, Bournemouth 2-0, Watford 2-1) and some mixed results (2-1 losses to Brentford and Wigan, a 0-0 with Millwall).

To suggest we were anything like our Billy Davies side is mindboggling. Under BD we used to get dominated, and somehow emerge victorious usually via a late Steve Howard goal. 

How many games under Steve McClaren did you come out thinking 'we were second best there'... Leeds away, Boro away and Wigan at home? Any more from the 30+ matches before the end of season collapse?

BD’s promotion season was a season of two halves as I remember it. We really weren’t that bad the first half of the campaign.

If you think that SM’s second season (even when we were getting the points) was anything like as enjoyable or as convincing as his first then we’ll have to agree to disagree. It wasn’t even close.

If you think SM didn’t sound clueless and embarrassing in his interviews both later on as Derby manager and as Newcastle manager then we probably have different definitions of clueless and embarrassing.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

hahahahaha, if the club (I'm assuming you mean Derby?) knew he had a contract offer, the could've a) taken Newcastle to a tribunal, and b) waited for McClaren to resign.

Just out of interest, would you take him back if we're sitting mid table in January?

I liked what Steve bought. That night against Ipswich convinced me to buy a season ticket. But as a football manager he should know more than anyone that it takes time to put something together and what is needed depends on where you start. He was lucky at Derby. He arrived at a club with some good players but no tactical direction and a lowly league position. He was a saviour arriving at an opportune moment and he did well. NIgel has an entirely different recipe .. Ooodles of expectation. Reasonable recent league finishes, expectations ! wealthy new owner, impatient fans ... Steve had a far easier hand to play. Saying he's worried about Derby seems a bit glib.

I suggest it's just passing affection for a club that got him jobs at Manchester United and Newcastle. Fair enough 

Sincerely worried ? Naaa .. If it was then wouldn't have runoff off for a pile of dosh. 

1 minute ago, jono said:

I liked what Steve bought. That night against Ipswich convinced me to buy a season ticket. But as a football manager he should know more than anyone that it takes time to put something together and what is needed depends on where you start. He was lucky at Derby. He arrived at a club with some good players but no tactical direction and a lowly league position. He was a saviour arriving at an opportune moment and he did well. NIgel has an entirely different recipe .. Ooodles of expectation. Reasonable recent league finishes, expectations ! wealthy new owner, impatient fans ... Steve had a far easier hand to play. Saying he's worried about Derby seems a bit glib.

I suggest it's just passing affection for a club that got him jobs at Manchester United and Newcastle. Fair enough 

Sincerely worried ? Naaa .. If it was then wouldn't have runoff off for a pile of dosh. 

Well, fifteen minutes were enough for him...

23 minutes ago, ramesses said:

BD’s promotion season was a season of two halves as I remember it. We really weren’t that bad the first half of the campaign.

If you think that SM’s second season (even when we were getting the points) was anything like as enjoyable or as convincing as his first then we’ll have to agree to disagree. It wasn’t even close.

If you think SM didn’t sound clueless and embarrassing in his interviews both later on as Derby manager and as Newcastle manager then we probably have different definitions of clueless and embarrassing.

In the first half of BD's campaign it was the same. We were marginally better with Jon Stead in the side, but even still there were so many wins in there where we barely deserved a point, let alone all three.

We scored 34 goals before New Years Day in BD's campaign, whereas under Mac in the first half of the 2014/15 season we scored 46. I think there is a big difference there...

I think Cannable sums up the first season from when Mac replaced Clough pretty well. That final month was brilliant, we won five straight games and scored 15 goals in the process.

But we actually scored more goals at the start of the 2014/15 campaign on average than what we managed under McClaren in his opening season.

So the performances weren't as enjoyable or convincing, not even close, but we actually scored more goals? I think we weren't as gung-ho, a lot more controlling, especially away from home.

But I think you're looking at certain games in the 2013/14 campaign where we were brilliant, and ignoring a lot of games where we weren't just to suit your opinion. 

In his first season, before the 3-3 at Birmingham and the 5-0 win against Forest, we had a run of scoring a meagre three goals in seven matches. I don't remember such a barren run during the start of the 2014/15 campaign.

Just now, Dimmu said:

Well, fifteen minutes were enough for him...

Honest Dimmu .. I think he got an incredibly lucky break in that game. A clap for Nigel began just after their second or 3rd goal, that coincided with a purple patch of play and we scored. An incredible momentum began .. Yes and Steve was part of it .. New manager appearing as several other coincidental things snapped in to place .. Players believed .. It was a proof positive that crowds and "events" can influence physical happenings on the pitch. That 15 minutes got Steve a free pass and removed tonnes of pressure from him. Contrast that with what Clement, Wassall and Pearson have had. ... Not a level playing field. There isn't often a short cut to cementing your status .. Steve got one, used it well but eventually got found out. I am right behind Mr Pearson for the next 12 months, 15 minutes here or there doesn't cut it for me  ... End of 

2 minutes ago, jono said:

Honest Dimmu .. I think he got an incredibly lucky break in that game. A clap for Nigel began just after their second or 3rd goal, that coincided with a purple patch of play and we scored. An incredible momentum began .. Yes and Steve was part of it .. New manager appearing as several other coincidental things snapped in to place .. Players believed .. It was a proof positive that crowds and "events" can influence physical happenings on the pitch. That 15 minutes got Steve a free pass and removed tonnes of pressure from him. Contrast that with what Clement, Wassall and Pearson have had. ... Not a level playing field. There isn't often a short cut to cementing your status .. Steve got one, used it well but eventually got found out. I am right behind Mr Pearson for the next 12 months, 15 minutes here or there doesn't cut it for me  ... End of 

I'm just very much against this "change needs time" or "time to gel" nonsense. It's either poor man and/or change management.

Hardly Mac's fault that his tenure raised expectations!

Things had to change , just as Steve Mac had to change things, he was lucky but Pearson is right , people have gotten used to how we play ( it was noticible how Newcastle pressed our back line so we could not pass it out of defence) , it need changing so players and style will be different , Mac could change with his existing players Pearson cannot. If we kept the old style we would be in the top ten, and probably the playoffs but would not get promotion. 

I don't think we will go up this year but our new style will bed in and we will be better for it both harder to beat and a bigger threat going forwards.

unfortunatly this will not happen overnight, keep the faith this is the right thing to do, it will work

58 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Rubbish, you tell him to get down and call in another roofer that someone you trust called Sam or Mel recommended to you!

All the other roofers are busy, you can't leave the roof as it is now.

Sam and Mel's last builder didn't work fast enough, so they got rid rid and asked a mate to finish the job.

He tried his best, but found the step up from hod-carrier to master builder too much.

Now you either stick with the roofer and hope he can fix it, or wait for him to slip off the roof in a tragic accident. 

3 minutes ago, jono said:

We scored three minutes after the clap… Ipswich socred their fourth 22 minutes later. People were going home at half time. There was no momentum.

What McClaren realised was something anybody with half a football brain should have. He put a holding midfielder on. I literally said it at half time to some weird guy that started talking to me. It was so obvious. They were driving at us down the middle on the counter every time.

Eustace released Hughes and Bryson, who racked up two goals and an assist between them. 

As for your previous post in which you state we had no tactical direction - the style of play was here. He wasn't given a clean slate - he tweaked Clough's team. The 24 pass move against Yeovil, the sweeping counter for Bryson's hat-trick goal against Yeovil, the second goal against Bolton in which 5 players each had one touch to rip them apart and score - these were all Clough goals. And we were scoring goals like these the year before as well.

I really  don't care what S M thinks about us but I do care what I see and think and I have to say I am worried for the next few seasons.

From what I see we have gone back a few seasons  and I do pay quite a lot of it at MM door ,his poor decision making after all his investment beggars belief and his latest employee is his biggest yet In my opinion.

I really don't think we have a chance of promotion while he is here and unlike PC and DW I can see him getting time to prove me right ,all I can see is many seasons of mid table or there abouts again and maybe never having a shot at the top table again for me the football has been so poor I went to the Brunswick inn at half time for the last two home games and its been many years since I have done that.

To sum it up dire  football both at home and away and yes I go to both .

6 minutes ago, cannable said:

We scored three minutes after the clap… Ipswich socred their fourth 22 minutes later. People were going home at half time. There was no momentum.

What McClaren realised was something anybody with half a football brain should have. He put a holding midfielder on. I literally said it at half time to some weird guy that started talking to me. It was so obvious. They were driving at us down the middle on the counter every time.

Eustace released Hughes and Bryson, who racked up two goals and an assist between them. 

As for your previous post in which you state we had no tactical direction - the style of play was here. He wasn't given a clean slate - he tweaked Clough's team. The 24 pass move against Yeovil, the sweeping counter for Bryson's hat-trick goal against Yeovil, the second goal against Bolton in which 5 players each had one touch to rip them apart and score - these were all Clough goals. And we were scoring goals like these the year before as well.

I would argue not replacing Eustace last summer, could actually go down as one of our biggest mistakes over the past few years. Instead over the past year we have signed a number of players we don't need or don't look like they can play in our team. 

1 minute ago, Ramos said:

I would argue not replacing Eustace last summer, could actually go down as one of our biggest mistakes over the past few years. Instead over the past year we have signed a number of players we don't need or don't look like they can play in our team. 

We didn't even need to replace him, just keep him on. I know he was injured at the time, but surely another yr would have cost buttons, at least he could have passed on his experience to Hanson.

11 minutes ago, cannable said:

Something that Pearson doesn't seem to understand. 

Just now, reveldevil said:

We didn't even need to replace him, just keep him on. I know he was injured at the time, but surely another yr would have cost buttons, at least he could have passed on his experience to Hanson.

Depends on how bad his injury was, his experience may have helped hanson, I still don't really think Hanson has what it takes to be a holding midfielder. He looks like he will end up closer to a bryson type player for me then a Thorne. Problem is who is out there that could be as good as Eustace was under Mac (Who we can get) because when you look back, he was quality at times for me. 

I would nt have him back ,, would be maybe a different answer had his first season and second season been the other way round but for me Mac is a good coach but when it comes to managing I think he really comes up short when he hits a sticky patch ,, he's good if he gets a bit of momentum and to be honest he was lucky with what clough had assembled and coached them very well ,,, do I trust him with the chequebook and let him build a side ? I'm not sure he is anywhere near as strong in that department ,,,, I'm putting my faith in Pearson to get it right but that said I'm interested to hear from those who don't think Pearson is the right man for the job ,who would they appoint to replace him next week if they were in mels position ? 

Archived