Let's Back Nigel Pearson!

Ninos

17 minutes ago, archied said:

I really would like to know how soon his (pearsons) position should be under threat ? I keep hearing people banging on that the positive amongst us are somehow misguided in being prepared to give him time , I would really like to hear how little time the people who don't particularly have faith in him think he should be given? Let's hear it ? How soon should we be thinking he is not up to the job and considering bringing wassell back?

Brilliant 

Clough had 5 years 

Clement had 6 months 

McClaren didn't help himself with Newcastle .

Pearson deserves a chance. 

Darren was only temporary  and he knew that fact 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My biggest gripe right now. Just because Pearson did well at Leicester doesn't mean he will do well here. No, of course not. But by the same standards of arguing, just because the holy sacred 4-3-3 worked so well in 13/14 does not mean it will work exactly the same way again. Each new season brings new challenges and situations. What is really being said is that you can't judge anyone based on their past and if that is the case then why not appoint any old fool?

Players have good seasons and players have bad seasons. Managers have good seasons, managers have bad seasons. And both can have all shades in between. Of course we should back Pearson and if anyone took the time to read his comments to the media you would see he saw a need to change the personalities, to give some fresh positive mental impetus. I think that has long been needed. I will reserve judgement on the style until a significant amount of games have been played.

Our own ridiculous expectations and reaction to not achieving them immediately is doing this club no favours. Far easier when the only expectation was to pick a side to have a go.

16 minutes ago, archied said:

I really would like to know how soon his (pearsons) position should be under threat ? I keep hearing people banging on that the positive amongst us are somehow misguided in being prepared to give him time , I would really like to hear how little time the people who don't particularly have faith in him think he should be given? Let's hear it ? How soon should we be thinking he is not up to the job and considering bringing wassell back?

I think fans should have been booing his unveiling. 

3 hours ago, Robbie Ram said:

Of course not.

No chance of that happening at all.

He a RAM.

He belongs to our tribe.

He isn't a Latic.

There he is just a mortal spear carrier.

With us, he is an immortal.

Like a working man's Dave Mackay.

Nice post Robbie .. I don't think Bucko was class with the ball at his feet or the best defender in the league but he was and always will be one of us. Not full of finesse or poise but if you were in a room full of mad zombies you'd want Bucko minding your back. A real ram and part of the never ending story. 

It's a serious question though there are so many on here who feel he is doing a poor job with our squad after 5 games, they appear to want him to change nothing and just carry on being the bottle job under achievers that we have come to be seen as by most in football ,,, it's pearsons job and reputation on the line he may have taken time have a look then decided he was going to win nothing with what we have in place now and has started clearing out and rebuilding, for me as someone who feels he will get it right I'm happy to give him time get the blend right ,, some don't like or rate him and the question is how quick they want him out 

4 hours ago, Robbie Ram said:

Of course not.

No chance of that happening at all.

He a RAM.

He belongs to our tribe.

He isn't a Latic.

There he is just a mortal spear carrier.

With us, he is an immortal.

Like a working man's Dave Mackay.

Give over

27 minutes ago, archied said:

It's a serious question though there are so many on here who feel he is doing a poor job with our squad after 5 games, they appear to want him to change nothing and just carry on being the bottle job under achievers that we have come to be seen as by most in football ,,, it's pearsons job and reputation on the line he may have taken time have a look then decided he was going to win nothing with what we have in place now and has started clearing out and rebuilding, for me as someone who feels he will get it right I'm happy to give him time get the blend right ,, some don't like or rate him and the question is how quick they want him out 

For me I will never call for a manager's head unless we are struggling and there are clear signs that things aren't improving and there doesn't not seem to be any way for them to turn it around. So whilst I am disappointed I don't think we should be getting rid. I would also say that the main people that have been unhappy with things so far, notably @Alpha @cannable amongst others, do not want to get rid of him yet, just that the football is rubbish and we haven't played to the players strengths, which has been my main concern. Results at this point aren't the issue, it is the lack of fluidity with the players and how lost they look.

At the moment we have been struggling for goals and creating real chances. Then we buy a potentially very good striker, and get a good wide player but give away our top scorer of the last 3 seasons on loan to a rival. To say that is a head scratcher is an understatement. I was hoping to see Vydra and Martin working together, I think the 2 of them would have been a great partnership and been able to play in the style that Pearson wants.

24 minutes ago, rynny said:

For me I will never call for a manager's head unless we are struggling and there are clear signs that things aren't improving and there doesn't not seem to be any way for them to turn it around. So whilst I am disappointed I don't think we should be getting rid. I would also say that the main people that have been unhappy with things so far, notably @Alpha @cannable amongst others, do not want to get rid of him yet, just that the football is rubbish and we haven't played to the players strengths, which has been my main concern. Results at this point aren't the issue, it is the lack of fluidity with the players and how lost they look.

At the moment we have been struggling for goals and creating real chances. Then we buy a potentially very good striker, and get a good wide player but give away our top scorer of the last 3 seasons on loan to a rival. To say that is a head scratcher is an understatement. I was hoping to see Vydra and Martin working together, I think the 2 of them would have been a great partnership and been able to play in the style that Pearson wants.

Some people don't seem to understand that criticizing the manager is not the same as wanting him out. There has been a lack of cohesion on the pitch with players being played in positions that it would seem aren't their best. Pointing facts like this out is not the same as shouting 'pearson out' or booing. Saying that we've been lucky to pick up this many points so far and advance in the cup competitions is not the same as calling for his head.

I personally have never asked for a manager to be sacked and I find it highly unlikely that I will be calling for Pearson's head either. I suffered through Paul Jewell for gods sake and I didn't even ask for him to be sacked, so Pearson would have to go some way beyond that.

Bravo Podgey, do I like Pearson ? No. Do I want him sacked ? No. I probably like him more than Billy Davies and I didn't want him sacked (until about 3 minutes after the play off final mind) I just want Pearson to pull his finger out and show us signs of him getting his message across to the players.

They seem to be taking to the pitch unsure of what's required of them to me.

10 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Some people don't seem to understand that criticizing the manager is not the same as wanting him out. There has been a lack of cohesion on the pitch with players being played in positions that it would seem aren't their best. Pointing facts like this out is not the same as shouting 'pearson out' or booing. Saying that we've been lucky to pick up this many points so far and advance in the cup competitions is not the same as calling for his head.

I personally have never asked for a manager to be sacked and I find it highly unlikely that I will be calling for Pearson's head either. I suffered through Paul Jewell for gods sake and I didn't even ask for him to be sacked, so Pearson would have to go some way beyond that.

Just undermining him then after 5 League games and 2 Cup games  

Thats fine is it. 

14 minutes ago, curtains said:

Just undermining him then after 5 League games and 2 Cup games  

Thats fine is it. 

Undermining him? Something tells me Pearson doesn't give a flying f*** what I think so I wouldn't exactly call it undermining him. I don't boo the team, I chant like everyone else.  How exactly am I undermining him?

Besides, just because someone is the manager it doesn't mean they are immune from criticism, no matter how long they'e been in the job.

4 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Undermining him? Something tells me Pearson doesn't give a flying f*** what I think so I wouldn't exactly call it undermining him. I don't boo the team, I chant like everyone else.  How exactly am I undermining him?

Besides, just because someone is the manager it doesn't mean they are immune from criticism, no matter how long they'e been in the job.

Don't bite

1 hour ago, archied said:

From a personal perspective  (and I don't claim to be speaking for any other forum members ) I don't know whether he's doing a good job or not,  simply because I am not sure what job nigel thinks needs doing. I hear the "freshen things up" and "tweak" comments but then see some quite fundamental shifts so that the 2 things don't quite square to me.

I am also amused that it's perfectly fine for nigel to have decided that wholesale changes are required after 5 poor matches of his tenure,  but that any of us who raise questions after the same period are generally given short shrift by a number of posters who confidently state "time" will be required and thats that, with the implication that we should all just suck it up for some indeterminate period. 

So for me, rather than quoting any arbitrary time period I prefer to base my views on the effectiveness of decisions made. We've just had a few of those so we should expect to see improved play,  performance and hence results. If we don't,  without mitigating circumstances such as injuries then we should rightfully be asking questions of pearson and his coaching team.

22 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Bravo Podgey, do I like Pearson ? No. Do I want him sacked ? No. I probably like him more than Billy Davies and I didn't want him sacked (until about 3 minutes after the play off final mind) I just want Pearson to pull his finger out and show us signs of him getting his message across to the players.

For me at this point the big question is are some players unsure or unwilling so I suppose that's my measuring stick for giving him time ,, when he's got his own players in , kept the ones already here that he wants and outed the ones he doesn't then I'm expecting to see a team going out playing the football he wants them to play if he is not getting his message through to players then and there's no signs of fluidity and improvement then I'm going to have doubts and concerns

1 hour ago, rynny said:

Absolutely bang on my opinion also.

29 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

I had to laugh about the 3 mins after the play off final with Billy Davies - they were my thoughts exactly, how he could unite people to one mind! 

4 minutes ago, archied said:

For me at this point the big question is are some players unsure or unwilling so I suppose that's my measuring stick for giving him time ,, when he's got his own players in , kept the ones already here that he wants and outed the ones he doesn't then I'm expecting to see a team going out playing the football he wants them to play if he is not getting his message through to players then and there's no signs of fluidity and improvement then I'm going to have doubts and concerns

I gave you the like for how you put your point across. Whether Pearson sends out 11 of his signings or 11 of somebody else's, they should be clear nothing less that 100% is expected in effort and desire. There is no shame in getting beaten, it's part of the game but the manner we lost to Burton still irks me.

I admit it might take Pearson time to get the team playing the way he wants, but rightly or wrongly I believe it should take no time in getting a group of players to understand anything less that total commitment is unacceptable. 

53 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

I gave you the like for how you put your point across. Whether Pearson sends out 11 of his signings or 11 of somebody else's, they should be clear nothing less that 100% is expected in effort and desire. There is no shame in getting beaten, it's part of the game but the manner we lost to Burton still irks me.

I admit it might take Pearson time to get the team playing the way he wants, but rightly or wrongly I believe it should take no time in getting a group of players to understand anything less that total commitment is unacceptable. 

I'd argue it's not commitment that was lacking, surely every single professional footballer in our ranks has that?

For me, it's more that the players so far seem totally confused as to their individual roles in the side, there seems to be a lack of understanding of what's required of them.

After a long pre-season, and a month of competitive action, that concerns me greatly. 

What is it they do in training each week which is so hard for them to take on the pitch come matchday, one things for sure they can't be playing in the manner they've been trained for, surely?

I'll give him time, I just wish the early signs were more encouraging. 

Archived