Let's Back Nigel Pearson!

Ninos

"The modern game is about pace"

Granted, the first few games have not gone well in terms of performances and results, but Pearson is doing a fantastic job so far: his transfers have been spot on and it's hard to see how Vydra Wilson and Anya won't excite with pace and pedigree. The two Watford players especially have delivered at key moments and that's what we need. We've gotten faster and better on paper, but the proof is out on the pitch.

Pearson says that his focus wasn't only to increase pace and attacking options but to "freshen up the dressing room" with players that have a bright future and that will work exceptionally hard for the themselves and the team. He's changing the team and its mentality for the better 

Pearson oozes class, he's got the right ideas, the right pedigree and he's surely the closest thing we've seen since Brian Clough in his management style. Let's get behind Pearson and his new look Rams team, defeat Newcastle and start climbing the league! 

Its on like donkey kong! Bring on the toon.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Granted, the first few games have not gone well in terms of performances and results, but Pearson is doing a fantastic job so far: his transfers have been spot on and it's hard to see how Vydra Wilson and Anya won't excite with pace and pedigree. The two Watford players especially have delivered at key moments and that's what we need. We've gotten faster and better on paper, but the proof is out on the pitch.

Pearson says that his focus wasn't only to increase pace and attacking options but to "freshen up the dressing room" with players that have a bright future and that will work exceptionally hard for the themselves and the team. He's changing the team and its mentality for the better 

Pearson oozes class, he's got the right ideas, the right pedigree and he's surely the closest thing we've seen since Brian Clough in his management style. Let's get behind Pearson and his new look Rams team, defeat Newcastle and start climbing the league! 

Don't you have a training session to oversee Nigel? Here's a hint, see if you can get them to pass to the ones in white.

6 minutes ago, Anon said:

Don't you have a training session to oversee Nigel? Here's a hint, see if you can get them to pass to the ones in white.

Lame. You're missing the point of football: it's not to pass it's to score. And to score more than the other team. Talent + Pace + Workrate + Belief -> Success. 

Success at Derby to follow ...

29 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Okaaaaayyyy.

Quite a few "leap of faith " comments. Let's hope they come good.

Chucking 3 new boys in without much training with the team will be hard for them. And apart from the new signings what will NP have been doing in the break - fantastically or not - to try and improve performances?

If you see hughes and bryson in a deep midfield 2 with the 3 newbies supporting bent in a 4231 would you still be as enthusiastic?

21 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Okaaaaayyyy.

Quite a few "leap of faith " comments. Let's hope they come good.

Chucking 3 new boys in without much training with the team will be hard for them. And apart from the new signings what will NP have been doing in the break - fantastically or not - to try and improve performances?

If you see hughes and bryson in a deep midfield 2 with the 3 newbies supporting bent in a 4231 would you still be as enthusiastic?

I would imagine he was putting serious thought into a formation that will put our best players in their best positions and maximise our chances of 3 points Saturday. What that is, who knows.

And personally, no. I'd prefer Hughes and Bryson playing much further up the field as attacking centre mids. Presume that will be the case when GT returns (was Pearson serious when he told OB yesterday a November return for GT?)

I don't think there is any difficulty in getting behind Pearson and the team. I think we fans have been concerned in the early matches .. Watching him shuffle the pack with the instability and unfamiliarity that naturally engenders, along with seeing the heads of some players drop way too easily. These are worries but not specifically lack of support. I honesty believe the season starts proper on Saturday and with it being Newcastle on top of new signings it increases natural supporters trepidation. It's a tough one. I hope we rise to the challenge. 

A good performance, even a well played draw with a couple of goals and the vocal support will be there to bolster the natural support that has been there all along. The gloomy voices on here aren't "none supporters" or anti Pearson they are just expressions of worry, fear, and general nervousness about change. 

Aussie mode in my mind .... She'll be right mate, no worries. ( be defo going through my lucky gate )

23 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Lame. You're missing the point of football: it's not to pass it's to score. And to score more than the other team. Talent + Pace + Workrate + Belief -> Success. 

Success at Derby to follow ...

And you miss the whole point of football. It is a team game and how do you get goal scoring opportunities? By passing to a team mate, unless you are expecting our players to get the ball and take on the whole team single handed.

Pace is not an ingredient that is an essential in football, in fact there are many players who are world class, past and present that are not considered fast. It is a good to have some players that are quick, don't get me wrong but it is not an essential, teams can play, and be successful, without having pace.

16 minutes ago, rynny said:

And you miss the whole point of football. It is a team game and how do you get goal scoring opportunities? By passing to a team mate, unless you are expecting our players to get the ball and take on the whole team single handed.

Pace is not an ingredient that is an essential in football, in fact there are many players who are world class, past and present that are not considered fast. It is a good to have some players that are quick, don't get me wrong but it is not an essential, teams can play, and be successful, without having pace.

coversely, imagine a team built around Tony Daley,  Geoff Thomas,  carlton palmer etc......

Apart from the fact that was more or less England c 1993 it would be crappie!  (And we were...tho very quick)

Indeed pace is a very useful asset in the modern game, but it's useless if you can't pass ithe ball on the deck and know how to use it. I've no doubt that the way we've been playing so far isn't how Pearson wants us to play, and hopefully the new players will see us play faster paced football like he had Leicester playing- but the game isn't just based around pace, you need good creative passers of the ball to make opportunities for these fast forwards to make the most of

16 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Indeed pace is a very useful asset in the modern game, but it's useless if you can't pass ithe ball on the deck and know how to use it. I've no doubt that the way we've been playing so far isn't how Pearson wants us to play, and hopefully the new players will see us play faster paced football like he had Leicester playing- but the game isn't just based around pace, you need good creative passers of the ball to make opportunities for these fast forwards to make the most of

We have that already - Hughes Bryson etc - even Clement pined for pace on this team which was the primary factor in adding Camara.

Pace in front of and wide of guile is a pretty lethal combo.

15 minutes ago, Ninos said:

We have that already - Hughes Bryson etc - even Clement pined for pace on this team which was the primary factor in adding Camara.

Pace in front of and wide of guile is a pretty lethal combo.

Yep, pearsons now gotta find a system that suits the technical players like Hughes and Ince as well as the pace of camara and vydra, whether he can do that will imo define whether he is a success here or not

Pace is an important part of every team. Without a doubt you have to have players in your team with pace to help the transitional play.

But more important are quick players. This has nothing to do with pace but their speed in making decisions and their ability to move the ball quickly. These players are vital but don't necessarily need pace. They can also be found all over the pitch, unlike players with pace who are typically out wide or upfront.

Every successful team has a balance of pace, strength and players who are quick.

The quick players we have at Derby are Hughes, Thorne, Butterfield, Bryson possibly Keogh, Bent and Vydra. So it'l likely we are still short on this type of player, especially with Thorne not being available. (Hoping Wilson is one but I've not seen enough of him).

But we now have plenty of pacey players, Christie, Anya, Olson, Forysth, Lowe, Russell, Camara, Wilson, Vydra, Weimann, Bent (to an extent), Blackman and probably more.

Now we just need to get the right balance with the players in form and go from there!

The coaching team are working on it!

Think back to the Cox/Mac team of 92-94. The pace of Tommy Johnson used to terrify teams.... Kitson and Simpson added to that, but it was the guile of 'slower' teammates such as Gabbi, Pembridge , Short, even Martin Kuhl, that used to pick the quick ball to enable that pace to work. 

This is why it's vital for our midfield to learn the Pearson way so that can play that ball for Vydra etc to exploit. 

Patience..... That side from 92-94 may not have got us up, but it was bloody exciting to watch and we came damn close to promotion. I have faith in him. 

3 minutes ago, Monkeytennis12345 said:

Think back to the Cox/Mac team of 92-94. The pace of Tommy Johnson used to terrify teams.... Kitson and Simpson added to that, but it was the guile of 'slower' teammates such as Gabbi, Pembridge , Short, even Martin Kuhl, that used to pick the quick ball to enable that pace to work. 

This is why it's vital for our midfield to learn the Pearson way so that can play that ball for Vydra etc to exploit. 

Patience..... That side from 92-94 may not have got us up, but it was bloody exciting to watch and we came damn close to promotion. I have faith in him. 

I think you've just accidentally made the ultimate counter-argument for 'it's not worked for three years'.

Pace isn't that important unless you're playing on the break. Speed of thought and possessing enough ability to pull off what you're thinking is much more important. 

You get someone penned back and instantly the asset of pace goes some way towards being nullified.

I've been very critical of Pearson ever since he was appointed but one thing I am glad for is that he has shown he is 442 through and through.

Getting rid of Martin showed 'The Derby Way' will not be how we originally thought in a 433 with hold up play and quick passing in the final third.

I just hope our players play with more fire focus and determination to get this beautiful club promoted 

Archived