Matej Vydra - Signed 4 year deal

Curtains

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick note to say congratulations. 12.5 m for Vydra is a bargain in today's market.

most fans at Watford are scratching their heads wondering who our owners have lined up to replace. As Deeney says Vydra is by far the best finisher at Watford.

Pure quality - ignore the Reading season which was one off. You won't lose money on Vydra and he is still young

If it was 8 million then all the better for you but would be surprised if it was and not reported locally as that. Anyway he is yours now and whether 8 million or 12.5 million will be a great signing for you guys

All reports I've read suggest he needs to play with a big hold up type player ie running onto balls. Watching those goals he is always in front of the playmaker. By looking at that I feel he could link up very well with Hughes as an advanced midfielder or even with ince behind him as a 10. I am very excited by this signing, very excited indeed. IF we are looking at spending serious money on another striker. It has to be a deeper striker (10) rather than a (9) would rather hold back tho, see if this works on its own than spunk another 10 mil plus up the wall. Keep it till Jan or even next year 

There's been a lot of love for Matej amongst the Hornets and I have to say that over the 2 seasons without him (WBA loan 13/14) and Reading (15/16) we really missed his pace and clinical finishing. He wanted to go to the baggies back then because he knows he can play PL level and I don't think he was used well there. We were delighted to have him back for our promotion season and the rise of Ighalo shouldn't diminish the importance of his contribution. There's always haters and there's some idiots who have talked rubbish about Vydra being limited etc. But to be honest he's a very good player: his first touch, his awareness and his work rate are his less heralded qualities, but he does work hard and he is very skilful, and can push for deadball duties too. This wdsport website is normally reliable and 12.5m may sound ridiculous but tbh he should be worth every penny if Pearson uses him well, which he should because the club have properly invested in him rather than loaned. 

As a Watford fan married to a Derby girl, the Rams are my 2nd team. For us to lose Vydra would always be painful but for me I'm genuinely very glad he's joined DCFC and I really hope he does the business. Barring injury or some training ground bust up I would put money on this being a very good thing for Derby. Treat him well. Good luck and Up the Rams.

http://www.wdsport.co.uk/2016/08/matej-vydra-left-watford-in-club-record-deal/

1 hour ago, WatfordSi said:

There's been a lot of love for Matej amongst the Hornets and I have to say that over the 2 seasons without him (WBA loan 13/14) and Reading (15/16) we really missed his pace and clinical finishing. He wanted to go to the baggies back then because he knows he can play PL level and I don't think he was used well there. We were delighted to have him back for our promotion season and the rise of Ighalo shouldn't diminish the importance of his contribution. There's always haters and there's some idiots who have talked rubbish about Vydra being limited etc. But to be honest he's a very good player: his first touch, his awareness and his work rate are his less heralded qualities, but he does work hard and he is very skilful, and can push for deadball duties too. This wdsport website is normally reliable and 12.5m may sound ridiculous but tbh he should be worth every penny if Pearson uses him well, which he should because the club have properly invested in him rather than loaned. 

As a Watford fan married to a Derby girl, the Rams are my 2nd team. For us to lose Vydra would always be painful but for me I'm genuinely very glad he's joined DCFC and I really hope he does the business. Barring injury or some training ground bust up I would put money on this being a very good thing for Derby. Treat him well. Good luck and Up the Rams.

Genuinely , top post ! Thanks for the info and good luck again this season . 

2 hours ago, WatfordSi said:

Why wasn't he prolific at wba or reading. I'm playing it down there his record was shocking. Any more re assurance as to why?

Tbh - not sure what happened at Reading but know the manager who wanted him left after few weeks.

at WBA he never got a chance and when he did he did OK(well 3 goals in 7 starts). They had some very strong strikers in that year - Shane Long, Victor Anichebe, Berinihno, Anelka

57 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Why wasn't he prolific at wba or reading. I'm playing it down there his record was shocking. Any more re assurance as to why?

Can't guarantee instant success but as I said, I expect it to be a great move. Brief response from me re WBA: played out wide when he is a natural central striker. He never had a long run in the team, partly I think he was injured for some of that season which disrupted his progress. BUT. He did score goals for them, and many Baggies fans at the time wanted him to be given more opportunity. Add to that the fact that the manager at West Brom was Steve Clarke who rated Vydra enough to then take him to Reading for the season last year, even though he'd mismanaged him at WBA. (Why Vydra agreed to that I don't know).

What went wrong at Reading apart from Steve Clarke being in charge? Not gonna try and work that one out. Well they were poor all over the pitch and it's hard to polish turd. But there's no disguising that Vydra was underperforming. He was very unhappy to be excluded from the Watford PL squad after just signing a long deal so perhaps he didn't start at Reading in the right frame of mind, which became costly. Derby fans, I understand the need to not get your hopes up and I certainly don't want to suggest he's a perfect player without any problems, no one is. But he seems to be a lot happier to drop a division this time round than he was last year. Derby is a more attractive club than Reading imho and I hope (and believe) that you're getting MV at a good time. More mature but still young. He's worked his socks off since returning from Reading and is out to prove himself, no longer happy to rest on the laurels of former Championship Player of the Season. As I said, good luck. I'm rooting for a successful turnaround in form for Derby. Good club, deserves more.

5 minutes ago, WatfordSi said:

Can't guarantee instant success but as I said, I expect it to be a great move. Brief response from me re WBA: played out wide when he is a natural central striker. He never had a long run in the team, partly I think he was injured for some of that season which disrupted his progress. BUT. He did score goals for them, and many Baggies fans at the time wanted him to be given more opportunity. Add to that the fact that the manager at West Brom was Steve Clarke who rated Vydra enough to then take him to Reading for the season last year, even though he'd mismanaged him at WBA. (Why Vydra agreed to that I don't know).

What went wrong at Reading apart from Steve Clarke being in charge? Not gonna try and work that one out. Well they were poor all over the pitch and it's hard to polish turd. But there's no disguising that Vydra was underperforming. He was very unhappy to be excluded from the Watford PL squad after just signing a long deal so perhaps he didn't start at Reading in the right frame of mind, which became costly. Derby fans, I understand the need to not get your hopes up and I certainly don't want to suggest he's a perfect player without any problems, no one is. But he seems to be a lot happier to drop a division this time round than he was last year. Derby is a more attractive club than Reading imho and I hope (and believe) that you're getting MV at a good time. More mature but still young. He's worked his socks off since returning from Reading and is out to prove himself, no longer happy to rest on the laurels of former Championship Player of the Season. As I said, good luck. I'm rooting for a successful turnaround in form for Derby. Good club, deserves more.

Thanks for that. In fact thanks for all your detailed information. You seem knowledgeable and hopefully you are right. Good luck for the season!

By the way I still think ya crackers for sacking flores! 

5 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

How many of those goals required a target man...Just watched Man City on Match of the Day 2. Showing that you don't need a target man. Martin is slowing our game down. We want high tempo football. 

When Steve Mac took over from Nigel Clough we played high tempo football with Chris Martin, John Eustace and Jake Buxton as the spine of the side.

Archived