Matej Vydra - Signed 4 year deal

Curtains

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Alex W said:

Through sheer bad luck. 

90 minutes of not scoring a goal, 16 shots, 14 corners and 68% possession and that's bad luck? 

Or what about all the missed opportunities to go clear at the top, go top, beat a Reading that had nothing to play for to get in a play off, or beat a Hull we'd already beat twice that season to get to a final. Was that all bad luck too, or just an inadequacy to finish the job when it truly mattered? There's a reason we've got known as bottlers and it's nothing to do with luck.

I love this team but I'm sick of falling at the last hurdle, time for change.

This is an exciting signing. I hope it's the first of many. It's becoming more and more apparent that the team needs freshening up. 

Once we get the balance of the team right and we settle into a rhythm, I get the feeling Vydra will score for fun here. He is young, hungry and with a point to prove. He has everything you need to prosper as a forward at this level - pace, agility, good technique, intelligence and excellent awareness and instincts in and around the box.

Martin and Bent have served us well in very different ways but it's all very familiar and predictable with those two. In that respect, Vydra will be a breath of fresh air and a welcome addition.

Given our dubious track record in the transfer market in recent years, I am not really in favour of splashing the cash. I'd rather we unearthed a gem than spent millions on proven Championship players, with some exceptions. This is one of those.

We have a new manager and he deserves the chance to mark his mark and bring in his own players and if all of them are of the calibre of Vydra and have a positive impact on the team, keep them coming I say. :lol:

The team clearly needs freshening, no one can really argue with that. Pearson even said in his interview after the defeat to Burton, " We need more quality for sure ".

Obviously it's great to hear of new signings, I think Kodjia would be a really great signing for us, I've always rated him very highly. £14 Million does seem somewhat excessive, but I suppose that's the market place right now. if the deal comes off that is.

As for Vydra, not worth £8 Million in my opinion, but I hope he proves me wrong. 

If the Kodjia deal does come to fruition that will take our new player spending to well over £40 Million in the last two seasons. Now I'm no accountant, but we might now need a dam good one to satisfy & keep us within FFP rules me thinks.

1 hour ago, TETRA said:

The team clearly needs freshening, no one can really argue with that. Pearson even said in his interview after the defeat to Burton, " We need more quality for sure ".

Obviously it's great to hear of new signings, I think Kodjia would be a really great signing for us, I've always rated him very highly. £14 Million does seem somewhat excessive, but I suppose that's the market place right now. if the deal comes off that is.

As for Vydra, not worth £8 Million in my opinion, but I hope he proves me wrong. 

If the Kodjia deal does come to fruition that will take our new player spending to well over £40 Million in the last two seasons. Now I'm no accountant, but we might now need a dam good one to satisfy & keep us within FFP rules me thinks.

Don't panic - the club know this and will deal with it. I see somewhere between £15-20m of outgoings before Weds night that will go a long way to offsetting the £40m spending you refer to.

1 hour ago, Cool As Custard said:

Don't panic - the club know this and will deal with it. I see somewhere between £15-20m of outgoings before Weds night that will go a long way to offsetting the £40m spending you refer to.

Well I really hope your in some way right, but a return of £15-£20 Million from a three day fire sale with what we have to offer makes me think you really are dreaming.

14 minutes ago, TETRA said:

Well I really hope your in some way right, but a return of £15-£20 Million from a three day fire sale with what we have to offer makes me think you really are dreaming.

Add to this the fact that other Club's will now know we have to off load could well make any chance of a decent return even harder.

51 minutes ago, TETRA said:

But we have already turned down a combined £14 million for Hendrick and Martin. Chuck Russell in the mix as well and I would say £15-£20 million is very realistic..

50 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

But we have already turned down a combined £14 million for Hendrick and Martin. Chuck Russell in the mix as well and I would say £15-£20 million is very realistic..

It would come as no shock if we manage to net £22m for the lot. 

3 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Jeff Hendrick is the one asset I would want to keep, it's all very well buying very good strikers but they do need service.

To be perfectly honest I was somewhat surprised when Wolves suposedly made an offer of over £6 Million for Martin that we rejected. I would have snap their hand off. I think we've discovered over recent years that as good as he's obviously been for us he's very much a one trick pony. Clearly Pearson doesn't want to play that way.

As for Russell I can't see other Club's in the Championship wanting to pay very much more than £1.5 to £2 Million for him

Well I understand the Flores sacking looked crackers but we were beyond poor for 2nd half of season and the spirit of the team that had done so well until Christmas had all but disappeared. Mazzarri is a much more Zola-like coach (although, encouragingly he seems to understand the need for a plan B).

Anyway, returning to Vydra and Derby, one thing could be in Pearson's mind is that Martin is surely a ready made partner for this player. He's strong and if he can be as unselfish as Troy Deeney then it could all be very fruitful.

14 hours ago, Simsy said:

Thanks for that. In fact thanks for all your detailed information. You seem knowledgeable and hopefully you are right. Good luck for the season!

By the way I still think ya crackers for sacking flores! 

Well I understand the Flores sacking looked crackers but we were beyond poor for 2nd half of season and the spirit of the team that had done so well until Christmas had all but disappeared. Mazzarri is a much more Zola-like coach (although, encouragingly he seems to understand the need for a plan B).

Anyway, returning to Vydra and Derby, one thing could be in Pearson's mind is that Martin is surely a ready made partner for this player. He's strong and if he can be as unselfish as Troy Deeney then it could all be very fruitful.

4 minutes ago, WatfordSi said:

Posted this is in the Chris Martin thread but Martin and Deeney are completely different players.

Archived