Matej Vydra - Signed 4 year deal

Curtains

12 minutes ago, Alex W said:

A fair point, I'd still put him behind Bamford however. For a club record fee we should be expecting a stellar signing, not a player coming in on the back of 3 goals in 31 for a Reading side who didn't impress. 

We've massively overpaid. Not only will that fee hang over him now, he's not a better footballer than Martin, so unless he's planning on ditching Martin as the rumours suggest you have a striker who's weaker than our current one coming in for a huge fee that is unlikely ever to be paid off. 

While the market is inflated it's shocking to me that we're throwing around the kind of figures being touted for Vydra and Kodja. 

He did also get 6 in 5 for them in the cup but people seem to be excluding those goals to make him sound worse.

Most players aren't capable of having the season he had at Watford and the fact he's still young gives me a lot of hope.

Granted the prices have gone through the roof but what do we do, sit around and moan about it while Newcastle and Villa buy everyone or do we get involved?

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Alex W said:

A fair point, I'd still put him behind Bamford however. For a club record fee we should be expecting a stellar signing, not a player coming in on the back of 3 goals in 31 for a Reading side who didn't impress. 

We've massively overpaid. Not only will that fee hang over him now, he's not a better footballer than Martin, so unless he's planning on ditching Martin as the rumours suggest you have a striker who's weaker than our current one coming in for a huge fee that is unlikely ever to be paid off. 

While the market is inflated it's shocking to me that we're throwing around the kind of figures being touted for Vydra and Kodja. 

I can't understand how your letting the fee worry you ? As a fan is it any concern of yours if MM wants to splash a bit of cash for the good of the club and for you to enjoy watching on a Saturday.  

Surely this should be what it's all about " getting excited because we've just signed a big name striker " . Enjoy it instead of being hung up on the fee . The fees irellavant is Martin really worth £8 million, Hendrick  £8 million? No there not but I think the market , it is what it is ! 

24 minutes ago, Alex W said:

I think he is a good player and I am not too fussed by what he did at Reading last season, it is what he does this season for us, and if he recaptures the form he has showed at Watford and his goals could be the difference for us then £8m is a fair amount.

13 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

I can't understand how your letting the fee worry you ? As a fan is it any concern of yours if MM wants to splash a bit of cash for the good of the club and for you to enjoy watching on a Saturday.  

Surely this should be what it's all about " getting excited because we've just signed a big name striker " . Enjoy it instead of being hung up on the fee . The fees irellavant is Martin really worth £8 million, Hendrick  £8 million? No there not but I think the market , it is what it is ! 

I'm not excited by Vydra, for that fee I expect better. Martin is a better striker. 

I'm concerned we're pissing money away, by the sounds of it over twenty million, on Matej Vydra and Kodja when all the side needs is some tweaking and reinforcement. A system which was so clearly close to working is being ripped apart for extortionate prices by a manager I didn't want at the time. 

It's a huge shame. And as a fan yes, I do care about the fee, I don't like appearing as a laughing stock when such huge gr fees are dropped one after another as the side only goes backwards. Our best years were spent with a close team ethic and a few additions, suddenly we seem to be splashing bigger and bigger fees on Championship level players. That concerns me. 

Martin is absolutely worth eight million by the way. You can build a team around him and he'll hit fifteen to twenty a season. Vydra may hit fifteen but he requires a working system around him. He's a lesser player. Hugely underwhelming, in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Compare and contrast.

Vydra, 24, c£8m.

Daryl Murphy, 33, £5m.

Suddenly I feel much better about Derby, and much worse about football.

I hope this guy scores lot of goals and creates lot of chances for others, so everyone is happy. The price of 8 million pounds which is paid for him; it is as it is, not too much and not really cheap. The current demand on the football market dictates the prices asked and paid.

10 minutes ago, Alex W said:

I'm not excited by Vydra, for that fee I expect better. Martin is a better striker. 

I'm concerned we're pissing money away, by the sounds of it over twenty million, on Matej Vydra and Kodja when all the side needs is some tweaking and reinforcement. A system which was so clearly close to working is being ripped apart for extortionate prices by a manager I didn't want at the time. 

It's a huge shame. And as a fan yes, I do care about the fee, I don't like appearing as a laughing stock when such huge gr fees are dropped one after another as the side only goes backwards. Our best years were spent with a close team ethic and a few additions, suddenly we seem to be splashing bigger and bigger fees on Championship level players. That concerns me. 

Martin is absolutely worth eight million by the way. You can build a team around him and he'll hit fifteen to twenty a season. Vydra may hit fifteen but he requires a working system around him. He's a lesser player. Hugely underwhelming, in my opinion. 

Building the team around 1 player is suicidal in my opinion. This team was built around Martin and it has failed in the last 3 seasons. This team got reinforced last season and struggled. 

This season is about building something capable of getting out of the league. A few people have been asking for a bit more pace up front and who is to say Martin couldn't play alongside Vydra anyway,  like Deeney did not to long ago. 

£8 mil is nothing this day in age. Villa and Newcastle have spent close to £100mil between them. I wouldn't expect us to stand idly by and let it all happen. 

I for one think Vydra will do well and I am pleased we have shown some ambition to try and compete. 

13 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Will people stop saying it is what it is? 

If you don't I'll knee you in the back of the leg.

Too soon for a Clough reference. :angry:

9 hours ago, Alex W said:

Wouldn't necessarily say that Martin is a better striker , hard to compare because they are so different . 

If the manager doesn't believe on the system then he can't implement it . He clearly has a system and a style he wants to play .

Who's laughing at us ? If we had not spent any money , you'd be whinging the other way saying we need reinforcements . Things need to change and move on and not be hung up on an 18 month purple patch because to be fair we weren't that good under Clough . It's only when mac came in .

You didn't get what I was saying about the fee ! £8 million is a lot but it's the current market value and it's crazy . 2 seasons ago we would have probably paid £2 million but in the flip side Martin would have gone for about the same figure .

Glad we have bought Vydra for £8m rather than the £5m Newcastle have just spent on Murphy on a 2 year deal!

There will be a lot of movement in and out overy the next 4 days and I think we should just let it all play out to see the new make up of the squad before trying to judge every signing fitting into what we have had for the last 3 years.

NP knows what he is trying to do and we should trust him to get on with doing it

10 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

It's not the fee, it's the fact that if it does go pear-shaped, we'll be the ones sat watching dross for 5 years while we 'get our house in order' and 'ship out the overpaid players and get some young, hungry ones in'.  And having sat through that for most of the last 8 years on the promise that it would be worth it, I'm not in anyway anxious to sit through it again.

2 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

It's not the fee, it's the fact that if it does go pear-shaped, we'll be the ones sat watching dross for 5 years while we 'get our house in order' and 'ship out the overpaid players and get some young, hungry ones in'.  And having sat through that for most of the last 8 years on the promise that it would be worth it, I'm not in anyway anxious to sit through it again.

Couldn't agree more 

Archived