Derby County vs Carlisle United

Carl Sagan

7 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Didnt get along. Anyone played themselves in to the starting 11 for Friday?

Yes. Anyone who didn't start the game.

Olsson should start after his injury. Managed 70 odd minutes. Pearce is still our third best CB. Johnson improved as the game went on but was injured at the end and couldn't take penalties. Didn't do enough for a recall IMO. Lowe struggled after a decent first 30 minutes and had to play 35 minutes hobbling around with cramp.Bent was ok at best and Blackman just about deserves a spot on the bench...for Mickleover Sports. Camara beat his man every time in the second half but appears to have very little idea where his crosses and shots are going. Bench quality IMO.   

p.s. My scrotum avoided any serious burns.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, sage said:

Yes. Anyone who didn't start the game.

Olsson should start after his injury. Managed 70 odd minutes. Pearce is still our third best CB. Johnson improved as the game went on but was injured at the end and couldn't take penalties. Didn't do enough for a recall IMO. Lowe struggled after a decent first 30 minutes and had to play 35 minutes hobbling around with cramp.Bent was ok at best and Blackman just about deserves a spot on the bench...for Mickleover Sports. Camara beat his man every time in the second half but appears to have very little idea where his crosses and shots are going. Bench quality IMO.   

11 new players then?

Baird was surprisingly good tonight I thought... Solid passing and held the line well,camara was outstanding and inspired Hughes to copy him when he came on....

Butterfield pretty much ruled and ran the midfield and keough was his usual excellent self nowadays.

Disappointments were Johnson who looked to be lacking confidence and was error prone and Blackman,whilst having one good shot which led to the goal,was generally pretty ineffective...martin would probably have knocked at least one in tonight.

One last thing,the inspired drumming and singing from the south stand was phenomenonal tonight and built to such a crescendo after 6 minutes that I almost credited them with causing our first goal to be scored...awesome

4 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Link or i'll ban ya!

It's on the championship banter page and I don't know how it can put on here (the video) mate. Sorry. 

9 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

I was only listening so my opinion is purely based on Ed Dawes and Ramage's comments, but I think the better performers were Keogh, Lowe, Johnson and Elsnik. Both Lowe and Johnson were apparently carrying injuries throughout most of extra time so I doubt they'll be fit for Friday but Elsnik might have earned himself a place in the squad at least. I'd be very happy to see him start against Burton but I imagine Pearson thinks it's a little too soon.

Thought butter field was pants until we went 4231 then he had a bit of a free reign. Was crap before that.

baird and Pearce were poor.

blackman, well, erm, diabolical at shooting 

keogh elsnick and Johnson did well and ince and Hughes also

motm keogh by a mile 

1 minute ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

11 new players then?

Keogh and Butterfield kept us in it, No one else who started enhanced their reputation. Defence was ok. 

The biggest two problems were they constantly passed the ball around and though our midfield two in the first half and the abysmal finishing and decision making of Ince and Blackman in the second half.

Elsnik is quality, which was no surprise as I've watched him loads in the U21s. By the end of the seasoh he should be a regular on the bench, pushing for a start.   . 

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Thought butter field was pants until we went 4231 then he had a bit of a free reign. Was crap before that.

baird and Pearce were poor.

blackman, well, erm, diabolical at shooting 

keogh elsnick and Johnson did well and ince and Hughes also

motm keogh by a mile 

Pretty accurate although Johnson may have been our best player and improved as the game went on. The Johnson 360 turn and Hughes magic in front of the wear stand where he danced through players like Messi were highlights.

Lowe looks a talent ! First time I've seen him play tonight and I was more than impressed , quick, skillfull and great work rate .

Timi maxi-elsnik looks to have bags of potential and by no means looked out of place .

Keogh was outstanding tonight , Johnson played well for parts .

Baird was awful , I try not to slate our own players unless it's needed but he really isnt good enough . 

I've been patient with Blackman, I really have , keep thinking to myself  " he might come good " but he's not going too is he ? 

Our forwards showed once again how wasteful they are (utterly mind boggling how Ince Blackman and camara could miss that much) ...  but the one thing that stood out was how Pearson brilliantly managed this game from selection of players to substitutions. His only fault was that he perhaps could have waited to make the final substitution just to protect in case of a late injury. But looking forward to Friday and Carson notwithstanding the only player who played the whole game that we will see start on Friday is Keogh. Pearsons favourite two players - shackell and Bryson - are completely rested. Nice job Nigel! And pleased to see Lowe and Elsnick play such impt roles and Johnson seemed to come back to form. 

31 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Nope. I think Johnson was surprising with his pinpoint passes and his little 360 turn ... But hurt his calf ? . Lowe was solid and Elsnick good but no, no one played themselves into the team, and Ince Blackman and Baird definitely did themselves few favours. Butterfield was dire but got better as the game opened up. Hughes excellent but his finishing ... Jeez. Still bad. Bents performance was poor too but he mopped up the Blackman shot well. 

We seem to be far stronger after halftime, in every game. 

20 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Pretty accurate although Johnson may have been our best player and improved as the game went on. The Johnson 360 turn and Hughes magic in front of the wear stand where he danced through players like Messi were highlights.

I thought that Johnson had another poor game. That turn only happened because he lost control, the ball spun off his boot and everyone was surprised where it went.

6 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Pearson referred to Johnson as excellent... Did well but wouldn't go that far

He needs confidence and encouragement - so good or not (i wasn't there) it won't hurt his form.

I'm sure if he came out and said "he was rubbish he can go back to Norwich or wherever he came from" there'd be a lot of criticism.

Praise in public, admonish in private.

Carson did OK but thought he looked like he tweaked something late on in 2nd half, although 3 good saves and close to another couple iin shoot out

Baird steady defending but really not good attacking and didn't look like he wanted it in final 3rd in ET

Olsson also steady but a little rusty

Keogh usual solid defence although went missing at 1 point when they would have scored if not got themselves offside..... Controversially I called him out for heading ball down our rb channel back infield with 1 min to play as thought he should have put out for a throw, which they gained possession from and 30secs later it was 1-1!!!!!

Pearce I think struggled until their black lad came on up top and then he scrapped really well as it was an old fashioned tussle

Butterfield missing first half, improved after break but then became a complete new quality p!ayer after Hughes came on.

Johnson, what can I say, gob smacked some thought he was good, very poor first half and average 2nd although it was his harassing and increased tempo for 5 mins which helped lead up to goal. Covered well at LB after Olsson went off. Really not sure about the shoot out rules, he got injured late on and shouldn't have come back on, but was on pitch at final whistle, which I think he should have took a pen - think we got away with one as ref didn't look like he knew what to do and was confusion as to who was going to take their 10th pen with their keeper telling the last remaining Carlisle player to take it, the ref then made changes on his pad looking like he was scribbling something out.

Lowe a positive, doesnt look out of his depth and a shame he cramped up but I suppose he hasn't had a lot of game time

Camara will do my head in, a couple of flashes to suggest he could be good but generally very average and really needs a right foot if playing there. Won't trouble the starting eleven based on tonight, but may be an impact sub like Saturday.

Bent, was bent but not being offside oddly. Didn't link well with Blackman and tbh he looked  confident finishing but can't help thinking the keeper dived out of the way

Blackman one of 4 with credit from first half ( with Keogh, Carson and Lowe) but I feel he was trying too hard to make an impression which meant he passed up releasing the ball on occasion and then lost it, looked like Reading version of player when his shot got tipped into bar which led to goal so he does have it in him still... Just buried very deep.

Ince had flashes when he came on but continues to frustrate this season.

Hughes, others have mentioned the magic moment on touchline and the midfield finally clicked after he came on, missed a glorious chance with 5 to go in ET and a poor first pen though. He really needs to score an odd goal or two and if his chance was in the center circle I could imagine him making a first time pass forwards to Martin no problem, but in front of goal he blazed it over!

Elsnik, will definitely make it, composed and tidy throughout and grew in confidence in ET where he became a threat, linking well, taking his man on and narrowly wide with right foot shot. Bloody brilliant penalties also and never looked like missing the winner,  so cool after scoring it also almost nonchalant.

Final points, Ince Keogh and Blackman cracking pens, loved Ince response after his second where he stared out the keeper,Hughes tried it after his second but doesn't have the looks for it to be serious -maybe its the fuzz on his chin!

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Nope. I think Johnson was surprising with his pinpoint passes and his little 360 turn ... But hurt his calf ? . Lowe was solid and Elsnick good but no, no one played themselves into the team, and Ince Blackman and Baird definitely did themselves few favours. Butterfield was dire but got better as the game opened up. Hughes excellent but his finishing ... Jeez. Still bad. Bents performance was poor too but he mopped up the Blackman shot well. 

We seem to be far stronger after halftime, in every game. 

I'm not sure if we were watching quite the same game....almost every pass Johnson attempted went very badly wrong,often ending up.in the opponents hands.

In contrast Baird was rock solid only cocking up one pass that I saw and Butterfield bossed the midfield I.m.o..he fought hard and passed well.

I'd agree on Blackman tho,quite poor and by failing to pass in the box when he had the chance,blew our chances of scoring a few times.....also agree,we were far better in the second half...not sure if this is a Pearson tactic,I.e wearing the opposition down and exploiting our better fitness?

It was worrying how much space Carlisle had in the first half. I know we won't play even half that team on Friday, but any decent team would've scored five against us in the first half. 442 leaves far too much space in behind, especially when the centre mids try and press. They just played triangles round us, like it was a training match. For 442 to work, unless you have a freak of nature like Kante who can run for days, you need the entire team to press and the likes of Blackman and Bent were never going to do that willingly.

Better in the second half (I'd rather not say that too many more times this season), everyone pressed annd Keogh and Pearce pushed forward. Still got caught out a few times on the break, but was much improved. Was impressed with Elsnik when he came on and he seems like he has a good head on his shoulders based on his interview after the match. He'll go far. Moment of the match - when Hughes took on the entire Carlisle right side on his own and succeeded. Keogh man of the match, had balls of steel in that shoot out and really drove the team forward time and time again tonight.

One thing today has convinced me of is that Blackman has no future at this club. Putting aside how many chances he spurned (the only one he was even close to scoring fell to Bent on the rebound), he doesn't seem like a team player. Time and time again he'd  shoot when other players were better placed and just needed a simple pass through. Some people mentioned that he was talking back to Pearson in the first half. Well in the second, whenever Ince got the ball out wide on the right, Chris Powell was screaming at Blackman to move out and offer himelf for the ball and every single time Blackman just stood there in the middle watching as Ince was closed down by three players and lost the ball.

I got talking to some journo's at the game and the impression I got from them was the same that some of people on here keep getting moaned at for - we don't have the players for 442 and this formation leaves us far too open at the back. I asked a couple of them about players - they weren't fans of Christie or Olsson. One was also of the distinct impression that certain people at the club would like Wisdom back and that he wouldn't be averse to coming back.

Archived