Derby County vs Carlisle United

Carl Sagan

The games are coming thick and fast and Tuesday night sees the Rams take on Carlisle under the sparkling new iPro floodlights for the second round of the EFL Cup (aka the League Cup for the oldies). In the five matches played so far this season there's been only one in which we've conceded, which is certainly the foundation of a promotion campaign or cup run. Conversely, we've only scored in two matches, both goals coming from defenders, which doesn't bode quite so well.

This is a big game as Pearson gets to grips with his new squad. The more matches we can play the better as we search for the right formula and the cup gives us a chance to do that and give all the squad games and get everyone fitter. Wins in any tournament are great for morale whereas a defeat against League Two opposition would knock our boys' already fragile conffidence.

Back in the 1970s I was at the Baseball Ground to see Dave Mackay's Derby County lift the First Division Championship; their opponents that day, playing out a 0-0 draw, the already relegated Carlisle. It was to be the last game our opponents were to play in the top flight and the beginning of a decline that saw a certain Nigel Pearson managing them when on loan goalkeeper Jimmy Glass scored the injury time goal that preserved their football league status (at least temporarily). The Rams manager showed there's no room for sentiment in football by not rewarding Glass with a permnent contract.

Another link between the two clubs is Rams academy coach Rory Delap, who began his football career at the northern English outpost at one end of Hadrian's Wall before signing for then top flight Derby in 1998. The last few meetings between the clubs have been league Cup ties. In 1990 a strong Rams team containing Radio Derby's Craig Ramage travelled to Brunton Park but needed a Dean Saunders goal to earn a replay, Deano scoring the only goal in the return match to see the Rams through. The last meeting was at Brunton Park in 2014 when Jeff Hendrick and Chris Martin scored the only goals to see Derby through to the next round.

The Rams' early season injury list now features Thorne, Weimann, Hendrick, Forsyth, Zanzala and Bennett, presuming Olsson is now back in contention for a starting place. James Wilson has arrived on loan from Man Utd and may be the forward to break Derbys early season goal drought. After the 4-1-4-1 to get a win against Preston, the Rams looked more confortable in a 4-2-3-1 int he second half of the goalless home draw with Villa. My expected lineup for this one is:

Carson

Christie     Keogh     Pearce     Olsson

Blackman     Butterfield     Johnson     Camara

Wilson     Martin

Substitutes: Grant Baird Shackell Hughes Bryson Bent Russell

Elsnick and Lowe are the only U23 regulars who've been given squad numbers so far, so if Pearson is resting first team regulars they're the only two who can come into conention (unless this changes). Personally I'd give Rawson a place on the bench and a breather for Shackell.

Steve Bloomer's watching. Come o you Rams!

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wilson not expected to play until after the international break according to the radio. Not sure if that is true.With Fozzie injured we are going to have to put our faith in Keogh to grab the goals.

Not sure of the line up but would like us to play the opposite of the first half today with people on the wings and in forward positions. Maybe get some shots on target?

In all seriousness we should be destroying Carlisle at home in the league cup. The performances so far have been unacceptable and I don't care how many clean sheets we have, to get out of this division you need wins and you need to play your best attacking players (read Hughes) in attacking positions. We need Hughes forward making stuff happen not defending.

30 minutes ago, JaguarRam said:

Wilson not expected to play until after the international break according to the radio. Not sure if that is true.With Fozzie injured we are going to have to put our faith in Keogh to grab the goals.

Not sure of the line up but would like us to play the opposite of the first half today with people on the wings and in forward positions. Maybe get some shots on target?

In all seriousness we should be destroying Carlisle at home in the league cup. The performances so far have been unacceptable and I don't care how many clean sheets we have, to get out of this division you need wins and you need to play your best attacking players (read Hughes) in attacking positions. We need Hughes forward making stuff happen not defending.

I see where you're coming from JR but the lower leagues are not as bad as you might think.Yes we should be imposing ourselves on teams like Grimsby and Carlisle who primarily will look to defend and putting them under pressure and making the superior talent, fitness and physical power tell in the end. That's what pissed me off against Grimsby. We let them spray the ball about for half and hour without us even making a chance. The superiority should tell yes but it's a myth nowadays that bigger teams should be smashing lower lights 4's and 5's and 6's. If we play badly then Carlisle have enough to make us pay for it, as Grimsby nearly did in the final minute.

Carlisle have some decent players. I've seen a lot of Charlie Wyke who probably could be playing in league 1 and still scoring. He will be their most dangerous threat. Reggie Lambe is a talent at this level, ex Mansfield. Quality finisher. Mark Ellis at the heart of the defence I know well from his Torquay promotion days. He's a vastly experienced defender although slow and is a real good header of the ball. Nicky Adams in the midfield is a solid player at this level and another vastly experienced, he's had more clubs than Peter Stringfellow and Russ Penn ex York too, not getting much of a look in at the minute but Keith Curle may make changes and Penn is a ratter in the middle. He won't let you settle and plays the simple ball. A bit of a David Batty type, wins it, plays it simple but he's got a shot on him too. One of the best goals I ever saw was him v Morecambe for York last season when I was at Bootham Crescent. He let fly from about 35 yards first time shot and it smashed into the top corner.

These clubs all have smatterings of quality in their ranks and they love a battle and if we play a weakened side or don't take them seriously they'll do a job on us it's as simple as that. League 2 or not.

Really looking forward to watching this game and I reckon the Cumbrians will maybe fetch 800 or so. It's a favourable draw but unless we get stuck in to them and start giving our opponents something tangible to think about then whether it's Carlisle, Belper Town or Barcelona, we'll make it harder for ourselves.

Start this game well, high tempo, press, get people up in support and get the job done first half. Something we've been a million miles from accomplishing so far at home in our 3 games thus far.

GK   Grant

RB   Christie (no need to rest him if Yedlin is in by next weekend)

CB   Keogh

CB   Pearce (give ol' boy Shackell a rest)

LB   Olssen

DM  Baird (no point risking Hughes)

CM Butterfield (get today's horror show out of the system)

CM Johnson (try to find some form)

ALM  Camara

ARM  Blackman (would prefer to see him start up front tbh)

S      Bent

Subs - Mitchell, Shackell, Bryson, Hughes, Elsnik, Ince, Martin

I like the fact that np takes these games seriously. It was mclarens dismantling of a winning side to play reading at home in the FA cup making 7 changes and throwing in Warnock :angry: and total benching of Hughes and Thorne that was the end of a possible great cup run and the dampener on our 14-15 season. Pathetic. Take everything seriously. We will rest shacks for Pearce and that's it. 

Wins breed confidence and momentum whatever the competition. Hopefully NP will put out a strong squad. Another 1-0 win Pearce to score.

Carson

Christie    Keogh    Pearce    Lowe

Camara Butterfield Johnson Russell

Ince

Martin

Subs: Grant, Rawson, Baird, Hughes, Elsnik, Bent, Blackman

On an unfortunate side note our Injury list is now looking pretty long.

7 hours ago, Ninos said:

I like the fact that np takes these games seriously. It was mclarens dismantling of a winning side to play reading at home in the FA cup making 7 changes and throwing in Warnock :angry: and total benching of Hughes and Thorne that was the end of a possible great cup run and the dampener on our 14-15 season. Pathetic. Take everything seriously. We will rest shacks for Pearce and that's it. 

Surely Martin was to blame?

Probably wont be loads of changes, but will be some.

Carson

Christie - Keogh - Pearce - Lowe

Butterfield - Bryson

Blackman - Ince - Camara

Bent 

Gives Hughes a rest, protects Foryth and changes things around up front

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Surely Martin was to blame?

Nice try ... But I don't think he played that day :sleep:. Beginning of the end for mclaren that day it was. Disastrous decision to throw away a chance to make the quarter final. 

Grant

Baird           Rawson         Pearce        Olson

Camara       Butterfield     Johnson     Russell

Bent                Blackman

Subs - Mitchell, Lowe, keogh, Ince, Wilson, Martin, Hughes

Bring Lowe on after 60 for Olson

This team should be more than strong enough to get past Carlisle.

19 hours ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Grunt

Birda Keyo Peace Olsen

Karma Butterfly Blowjib Blackmen 

Mince

Bint

Personaly speaking, despite their similar names and appearance I'd prefer that Keog bloke to Keyo who is a bit wussy 

Grant

Hanson Keogh Pearce Olsson**

Razza Butterfield Johnson Blackman

Wilson Bent 

Subs Carson Christie Martin Hughes Ince Bryson Baird 

By the way the reason why I put ** is whether Olsson fit enough to play or not.. 

Anyway it'll be similar team line up like last round though. 

11 hours ago, Ninos said:

I like the fact that np takes these games seriously.

That's because NP may have learnt his lesson about these games as he fielded weak team at Leicester and got knocked out early. 

31 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

That's because NP may have learnt his lesson about these games as he fielded weak team at Leicester and got knocked out early. 

True and I like it. I don't think I've ever been as furious as a Derby supporter than to see the lineup mclaren fielded v Reading in the FA cup.  We would have sailed through that round without warnock and with Hughes and Thorne ... Gone into an Uber easy quarter final v Bradford and then likely match v Arsenal in the semis. The daft Warnock red card and then the proverbial "we can focus on (losing our momentum in) the league now" followed. And meanwhile confidence would have been soaring ... Primed for cup and league success. 

NP is far smarter.

35 minutes ago, Ninos said:

True and I like it. I don't think I've ever been as furious as a Derby supporter than to see the lineup mclaren fielded v Reading in the FA cup.  We would have sailed through that round without warnock and with Hughes and Thorne ... Gone into an Uber easy quarter final v Bradford and then likely match v Arsenal in the semis. The daft Warnock red card and then the proverbial "we can focus on (losing our momentum in) the league now" followed. And meanwhile confidence would have been soaring ... Primed for cup and league success. 

NP is far smarter.

Thorne hadn't yet played that season by that point, had he?

Archived