Derby County vs Carlisle United

Carl Sagan

Congratulations to Richard Keogh, Will Hughes and Jacob Butterfield who's first reaction when Elsnik scored the winner was to congratulate the Carlisle team

Could have gone either way tonight and Carlisle played well, and took some great penalties too

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As noted earlier in the thred, the Derby official site had us winning 1-0 in 90 minutes through Bent's goal. The Football League (now rebranded EFL) were closer in their official write-up of the evening's events, going for 4-2 to Derby on penalties: http://cup.efl.com/news/article/2016-17/review-efl-cup-round-two-review-3267928.aspx

EFL gives wrong penalty score vs Carlisle.JPG

It's really not hard for the club or the Football League to post the correct score. Come on, guys!

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

As noted earlier in the thred, the Derby official site had us winning 1-0 in 90 minutes through Bent's goal. The Football League (now rebranded EFL) were closer in their official write-up of the evening's events, going for 4-2 to Derby on penalties: http://cup.efl.com/news/article/2016-17/review-efl-cup-round-two-review-3267928.aspx

EFL gives wrong penalty score vs Carlisle.JPG

It's really not hard for the club or the Football League to post the correct score. Come on, guys!

I see Burton Albion beat themselves as well ?

Carlisle should have deselcted a player from the line up to take penalties yesterday Inthinl, as we onky had 10 men on the pitch- according to the riles the deselcted penalty taker cannot play as goalkeeper-

Only players who were on the pitch at the end of play will be allowed to participate in the shoot-out.[7] If one side has more players on the pitch than the other, whether as a result of injury or red cards, then the side with more players must select some players who will not take part. For example, if Team A has 11 players but Team B only has 10, then Team A will choose one player who will not take part. Players chosen this way cannot play any part in the procedure, including acting as goalkeeper. The rule was introduced by the International Football Association Board in February 2000 because previously an eleventh kick would be taken by the eleventh (i.e. weakest) player of a full-strength team and the first (i.e. strongest) player of a sub-strength team.[9] A rule change in 2016 eliminated the potential for a team to gain such an advantage if a player is injured or sent off during the shoot-out

8 hours ago, needles said:

First half was disturbing. We never carved them open, and they had acres of space between the lines on 3 or 4 occasions and could have done more with it.

Second half changed the shape in midfield to nullify that space, and had a lot more drive about our play. (Why do we need a rocket every half time?) Got the goal, (even though they missed a great chance first) went a bit wafty, then bought on the big guns. Ince and Hughes to own them, dominate and kill the game. Didn't happen. Hughes missed the best chance, Ince got involved but without it ever really happening for him.

The equaliser with seconds to go was harsh, but if you don't score when you're on top, that's what you get. To be fair first half of extra time they looked on top as Max Lowe was done and Bradley hurt his ankle. Only time in the game we looked like a side two divisions and tens of millions of pounds better was the last ten minutes of extra time.

Some random, slightly drunken, observations.

1) Despite the misses and only coming after 70 minutes, Will Hughes was best player on the pitch again. A moment of sublime skill on the right in the second half was worth the night out and the ticket money on it's own.

2) Despite tucking in his peno's, and a few bits of good hold up play, Nick Blackman remains woeful. I can't completely write him off, because I refuse to believe he can possibly be this bad. Theo Robinson was faster and twice the player in front of goal, and he's in the Connor Sammon class away from it.

3) Pearce, despite looking rusty on occasions, with the ball, looked a steady defender tonight. I can see why NP felt Bucko could leave.

4) Keogh. Superb.

5) Butterfield can play a superb ball when he's left alone to do his thing. He isn't ever going get that time against decent Championship sides.

1) Despite the misses and only coming after 70 minutes...........well I think you deserve a medal, don't put yourself down needles, sounds like you have one ell of a pr1ck and should be applauded by everyone on here, for such a performance and for having the audacity by sharing it with us all on here, I bet the misses is still smiling, crikey did you count to 70 minutes aswell, you must be knackered mate, what a Ram needles is.....Hip Hip Hooray!

It appears that NP is managing games by staying in the game first half and reserving energy and stepping it up in the second half when it matters. There is no point playing fast flowing football in the first half to be knackered in the second half and have opposing teams get back in the game or going in front because we have burned ourselves out far too early in the game, it's the same for the fans, grow into the game, and get better and better at the crucial times in the game and all of us will be winners instead of the usual nearly men (women & children). So get right behind the wonderful Derby County Football Club and take it forward.

4 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

It appears that NP is managing games by staying in the game first half and reserving energy and stepping it up in the second half when it matters. There is no point playing fast flowing football in the first half to be knackered in the second half and have opposing teams get back in the game or going in front because we have burned ourselves out far too early in the game, it's the same for the fans, grow into the game, and get better and better at the crucial times in the game and all of us will be winners instead of the usual nearly men (women & children). So get right behind the wonderful Derby County Football Club and take it forward.

I will stay in the pub until half time then!

11 hours ago, Alpha said:

Fair weather supporter? 

You've no idea mate. Sing as loud as anyone including you. Season ticket holder for years. Working tonight and getting married next month so not at away games

Do I qualify as a proper supporter?

Don't forget a man is not complete until he is married ,then he's finished.

12 hours ago, Alpha said:

Fair weather supporter? 

You've no idea mate. Sing as loud as anyone including you. Season ticket holder for years. Working tonight and getting married next month so not at away games

Do I qualify as a proper supporter?

Congratulations, but make sure its an early wedding. Then if things don't work out you haven't wasted a whole day.

3 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned somewhere else on the thread so apologies. When is the cup draw?

tonight 

My thoughts!

Carson - great pen saves

Baird - hes played worse, some terrible crossing

Keogh - captain fantastic, barely put a foot wrong, led by example and was a class act looking after his team in the shootout. Straight over to Hughes when he missed.

Pearce - fairly good, nothing to be concerned about

Olsson - rusty

Lowe - a bit shaky, but hes young and on his debut, nerves allowed.

Butterfield - lost first half, so much better for the rest of the game. Ran all game and showed desire to earn a place.

Johnson - terrified first hour then suddenly his alter ego kicked in and it all clicked into place. Positive signs there

Camara - he is not the saviour some say he is. Very, very raw, didn't track back much but flashes of unpredictability and excitement. Little end product.

Bent - ugh

Blackman - selfish, confidence shot, no accuracy, predictable.

Hughes - looking better all the time.

Elsnik - grew into the game, one to watch

Ince - he was the spark, greedy at times but looked lively, eager and keen to show what he can do.

Fans - South Stand, take a bow, terrific support all game, Adam's arms must be aching today after all that drumming. West Stand - so much booing and negativity. East and North - no idea!

We need to play from the first whistle, first half was worse than vs villa, second was good for 20 minutes, everything else was really poor. No energy, not enough desire from some. Where have the passing triangles gone???

Pearsons interview says we had two players struggling; one with cramp (Lowe) and the other took a heavy knock towards the end of the game (Johnson). He then goes on to say he thought Johnson was outstanding.

So there's a bit of positive reinforcement that many fans don't seem capable of right now :lol:

13 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

My thoughts!

Carson - great pen saves

Keogh - captain fantastic, barely put a foot wrong, led by example and was a class act looking after his team in the shootout. Straight over to Hughes when he missed.

Olsson - rusty

Butterfield - lost first half, so much better for the rest of the game. Ran all game and showed desire to earn a place.

Johnson - terrified first hour then suddenly his alter ego kicked in and it all clicked into place. Positive signs there

Camara - he is not the saviour some say he is. Very, very raw, didn't track back much but flashes of unpredictability and excitement. Little end product.

Bent - ugh

Ince - he was the spark, greedy at times but looked lively, eager and keen to show what he can do.

Fans - South Stand, take a bow, terrific support all game, Adam's arms must be aching today after all that drumming. West Stand - so much booing and negativity. East and North - no idea!

We need to play from the first whistle, first half was worse than vs villa, second was good for 20 minutes, everything else was really poor. No energy, not enough desire from some. Where have the passing triangles gone???

Thanks for the above.

I couldn't make it, living down south and working early the next day.

I did follow the commentary albeit on sky app and twitter, so good to see the info above.

Blackman has come in for some criticism and hardly played last season, so is probably trying too hard. Ince has always been selfish to a degree and reminds me of Sterling in this department, but we know he can deliver and I also feel he might be trying too hard to impress and do it all on his own.

Other than that, nice to see Johnson making strides and hopefully the boo boys will keep off his back long enough to get his confidence back. 

12 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Pearsons interview says we had two players struggling; one with cramp (Lowe) and the other took a heavy knock towards the end of the game (Johnson). He then goes on to say he thought Johnson was outstanding.

So there's a bit of positive reinforcement that many fans don't seem capable of right now :lol:

I thought Johnson was outstanding when he was switched to left back. Is that because at left back he knew exactly what he was supposed to be doing, whereas in the middle of the park most of the time he just seems lost?

I am going to ignore the first half as an aberration, bad dream or virtual reality stream of a play station game played by 6 year olds.

This is a report on the second 45 and injury time only......much more energy, belief and togetherness along with the most dire display of shooting in a single match than I have ever seen.

Keogh ..a giant ..ran, headed tackled for 120 mins and lashed in his two pens with real venom 

Johnson .. Much happier ( hope ankle is ok ) even did a trick on the edge of the box that worked ! I'd like to see him in the cup side again but needs some confidence building. 

TImi Max ... Oh good .. We've got a skilled young footballer .. Strong, quick, good touch moves the ball instinctively, unphased by shootout ... Match day squad / first team player all day long. 

Pearce .. Excellent back up for Shacks

Camara .. Good game but would be better on the left I reckon

Ince .. Strong creative consistent 

Bird .. Ok, some good headers but what were those over hit crosses all about when he was under little or no pressure 

Blackman .. Some flashes in a position better suited to him but bottom line, ignoring any debate about skill, he just isn't strong enough and doesn't have the speed of thought to be a striker at this level. 

Hughes .. Couple of sublime touches and clearly shines around other skilled players like TImi Max and Ince (like minds )

Butterfield, Ollson Lowe .. Solid, had moments did their job

Bent .. Scored .. OH ! That's his job .. Others please note 

34 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

My thoughts!

Carson - great pen saves

Olsson - rusty

Bent - ugh

Agree with most of that, except Blackman and Ince. Ince tried hard, but was predictable and found wanting. I thought Blackman had a reasonable game up front. Got a few shots off and a couple of layoffs. Needs a couple of goals to help his confidence and we could see him push on.

The booing at half time was unnecessary. Second half saw glimpses of the early Bradley Johnson. Shame we didn't really get chance to give him some applause / support. 

Camara was a bit anonymous first half. Much better after the break. After he went off it was back to the boring game again. 

Speaking of which talk about a game of extremes. For the most part the game was boring. But to score the equaliser in the 5th minute of 3 extra minutes :blink: was 'exciting'. And the penalty shootout. Jeez. That was really exciting. I was really wired when I finally got home, I couldn't get to sleep. So I'm ruddy tired this morning  :D

1 hour ago, The 1884 Group said:

My thoughts!

Carson - great pen saves

Olsson - rusty

Bent - ugh

To add some perspective to this

Carson - I am starting to have serious worries about him. The Carlisle goal was  a case in point, 99% of keepers would have saved that, week shot that was eminently saveable. Yes  he made a couple of decent penalty saves, but his decision making is becoming seriously questionable.

Baird, I agree, but he does provide a lot of cover, he is very good defensively, but his crossing was woeful

Keogh- Immense

Pearce - Is a perfectly capable understudy

Olson - Very rusty is the best I could say

Lowe - Offered nothing to be honest, maybe nerves?

Butterfield - Awful 1st half as you say, wouldn't say he inspired me with his attitude?

Johnson - I think he is vastly misunderstood at Derby, grew in confidence as the game went on, was very good as cover at left back. If recovered I would play him on Friday night.

Camara - I agree, he is very very very raw, I think Pearson needs to remind him about tracking back as he just wanders around when not in possession. Didn't use his pace much, had the beating of their left back but his end product was dire.

Bent - This made me laugh, he is not a "Martin" type player, he thrives on through balls into the channels, but our midfield just doesn't have the creativity to play them, as per usual he was in the right place for his goal and slid it under the keeper well.

Blackman - A conundrum, showed signs of improvement, but his confidence is zero, although fir does to him, his penalties were class

Hughes - Showed signs of class, but I am starting to understand why no Premiership clubs come calling. No consistency, lacks an eye for a pass, and missed the best chance of the night.

Elsnik - Definitely grew into the game and started demanding the ball in extra time, I agree one to watch

Ince - Was very positive, showed desire, just what we want from him

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned somewhere else on the thread so apologies. When is the cup draw?

After Accrington Stanley Burnley game tonight (it might be later than expected if any game tonight goes into extra time just like last round though) 

Archived