Derby County vs Carlisle United

Carl Sagan

I think we'd have gone on to score 2 or 3 more if Pearson hadn't had made the double change when he did. We had started playing much better and being a threat, then it completely threw us off.

Think Johnson could actually be a decent option at left back, certainly better than Baird, who was typically awful. His idea of closing down is jogging up and giving a five yard cushion, and just hoping the cross hits him - don't even mention his own crossing.

Camara roasted their left back something terrible. Think he had twisted blood. He cut inside all first half, and then come second half, he took it down the line with ease because the defender tried to predict him. Just needs to work on end product, but when it comes off it's very good.

Elsnik, obviously drawing plaudits, and I don't think he was natural out wide, but when he drifted in he was very good. Ice veins for stepping up with those penalties.

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thoughts for last night.

The good, or, more appropriately the second half.

I don't understand the hate for Baird. Solid defensive display last night. Not great going forward, but certainly not as bad as people make out. Scored his penalty too.

Keogh, excellent. The only player at the moment who seems capable of picking the ball up, driving foward and finding a man. Two excellent penalties too. He and Pearce marshalled their centre forwards well, the latter showing to be a good option should Shackell be injured.

Butterfield and Johnson seemed to click in the second half. Nice to hear the fans singing Bradley's name again. Hope that gets his confidence up a bit. Took a heavy knock at the end.

TME showed his class as seen in the academy games. Oh so nearly scored. 

Good to get minutes under both the left backs' belts. Lowe showed flashes, but seemed to lose his confidence. Olsson looked rusty, but there didn't seem to be much happening down that side.

Camara just needs an end product now. Beat his man nicely a few times, then couldn't quite find the pass or finish.

Ince was his usual self. Got himself in some good positions, but ignored by Blackman - which brings me nicely on to...

The bad.

Blackman. I was happy when he was named up front with Bent. Was unlucky not to score with the attempt which Bent converted - but showed little else. Don't see where he fits. Not good enough to displace Martin up front, doesn't show enough when played on the wing.

Usual stuff from Bent. Right time, right place, took the goal well, but little else.

The first half in general. Why does it take us 45 minutes to get going? I understand the need to keep it tight, gauge what you have in front of you, but that shouldn't mean a lack of creativity, drive, pace, ambition. It's like we were set up on the counter, but we lack the pace, or brain, or invention to exploit when the opportunity is there.

Yes, Pearson needs time, of course. Rome wasn't built in a day. But I would expect there to be some foundations showing by now, some sign that the players were starting to understand the direction in which they are being told to pull.

Carson - not much to do but did it well.
Olsson - rusty as you would expect
Baird - sound defending but very, very poor crosses. Passes backwards far too often.
Pearce - OK performance.
Keogh - Excellent, a true captain's performance. Our most attacking player ?
Lowe - Good debut. Looked positive and dangerous on occasions in the first half. Did OK at LB until injured. Well done on taking a penalty.
Johnson - Fair first half and grew into the game. Did well at LB.
Butterfield - Got better as the game went on and finished strongly.
Blackman, Ince, Camara, Bent - far too wasteful. Well done Bent though for staying onside for once (looked very close when they showed replay).
Hughes - looks rusty and a little confused by all the different formations and players around him. Should have scored. Better when further forward (as we all know).
TME - Good debut. Looked a bit nervous to start with but grew into the game. Cracking penalties.

I don't get why people rave about Camara - loses the ball far to often, shooting and crossing was awful (as was Ince and Blackman).

40 minutes ago, TelTheRam said:

Baird - sound defending but very, very poor crosses. Passes backwards far too often.
Pearce - OK performance.
Lowe - Good debut. Looked positive and dangerous on occasions in the first half. Did OK at LB until injured. Well done on taking a penalty.
Blackman, Ince, Camara, Bent - far too wasteful. Well done Bent though for staying onside for once (looked very close when they showed replay).
Hughes - looks rusty and a little confused by all the different formations and players around him. Should have scored. Better when further forward (as we all know).
TME - Good debut. Looked a bit nervous to start with but grew into the game. Cracking penalties.

I don't get why people rave about Camara - loses the ball far to often, shooting and crossing was awful (as was Ince and Blackman).

Good summary, I'd just add that I believe the the Camara raving is because he repeatedly and fearlessly takes his man on. Doesn't always get it right but his attitude is top drawer he is a ball player and he scares opponents which has a value all of its own.

12 hours ago, TelTheRam said:

Pearce - OK performance.

I am puzzled by your Carson comments. Dived over their only real shot on target then missed a cross and was rescued by a goalie clearance..

Obviously redeemed himself a little in the pens

Apologies for going back to this and if the question's already been asked but...why didn't their keeper take a penalty - I've always understood that after the first 5 spot kicks, all players must take one until they start over again? I could understand if he was injured but, unless I'm mistaken, he was in goal all the way through and played for Carlisle yesterday.

Have i missed something?

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

Apologies for going back to this and if the question's already been asked but...why didn't their keeper take a penalty - I've always understood that after the first 5 spot kicks, all players must take one until they start over again? I could understand if he was injured but, unless I'm mistaken, he was in goal all the way through and played for Carlisle yesterday.

Have i missed something?

Yes, Jono was injured for us, so they had to select a man to miss out.

Sith Happens
13 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Ahh - thanks

Illegally so though, he should have been excluded fully I.e not in goal either... Ref in a bit of bother over it.

Archived