Derby County v Brighton

Jimbo Ram

sounded much better in the middle with Hughes and Butters, Brighton look the team of last season, solid and fast to break, so overall a good opening test for both sides, i reckon NP will have learned a fair bit, and will be having words with certain players ..... *gulp

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First game and it will take time for Pearson's team to coalesce into an effective force. It's a shame we are playing so many contenders at home so early in the season - we might rue dropping points in games such as this when the season comes to the boil.

Strange selection today leaving Hughes out. Interesting to see the first elevens Pearson puts out in the cup and the next league game.

Not losing and not conceding are two plus points. We'll have to take that and it's good there's another game on Tuesday.

NP will have learned a lot today

Unfortunately most of which we all knew already!

Hendrick & Bryson can't play together

Baird & Johnson are not good enough to be in our first XI

Hughes should not be left out the team - EVER!!

We need to buy a genuine wide man if we are to play 4-4-2 / 4-4-1-1

He won't take any prisoners though & more games like today will lead to several players being jettisoned & a few new ones coming in. In Nigel we trust!

Good point considering we played a fellow top six side with an awful starting lineup. Another clean sheet for Koegh, that rubbish defender a number of 'fans' want out.

Hopefully next match there will be no Bent, Blackman, Baird or Johnson from the start.

4-3-3 please. Russell, Ince, Martin, Hughes, Butterfield, Bryson, Fozzy, Keogh, Shacks, Christie, Carson

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Good point considering we played a fellow top six side with an awful starting lineup. Another clean sheet for Koegh, that rubbish defender a number of 'fans' want out.

Hopefully next match there will be no Bent, Blackman, Baird or Johnson from the start.

4-3-3 please. Russell, Ince, Martin, Hughes, Butterfield, Bryson, Fozzy, Keogh, Shacks, Christie, Carson

Sorry Bris - think you'll be waiting a long time before 4-3-3 again....

The team selection will doubtless be contentious on here but Pearson should be given time to experiment. People moaning after 40 minutes of the opening fixture should probably be issued with comforters and blankeys for future games.

Just a thought, but I'd be surprised if Hughes was benched because NP didn't think he should start so perhaps he was using the game today to have a look at other options. Doubtless we'll find out. After all, he's not had much of a window to assess what's quite a large squad. 

1 minute ago, AmericanRam said:

Good point against a good Brighton team, I will take it. Of course,some on Twitter are already wigging out after today, but unfortunately what else is new. After one game, really already wigging out? Get a grip.

That's the problem with social media, it gives idiots a place to voice their stupid thoughts.

'Rome wasn't built in a day, but I wasn't on that particular job'.

A legendary quote, from a legendary manager, but even he took time to build a team that achieved greatness.

Let's give NP similar leeway and see where it takes us.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Baird presumably was only in as an emergency measure with Olsson and Forsyth both forced absentees. Experience versus Knockaert.

I would have thought Bent's pace and threat would be better off the bench as long as we have a manager (ulike Wassall) who will make changes before the 85th minute - today Hughes came on after 60 so at least that was something.

If it's a choice between athletes or footballers I would prefer footballers. Johnson is the worst technical player in the squad so should not start for me. Unless the circumstances are exceptional Hughes must start. I don't object to 4-4-1-1, not least because we need to find other ways of playing. This team can do 4-3-3 when called upon, but too often last year we were impotent in that formation. So I say give it time.

Blackman was meant to have been decent today (I wasn't there to see). I like the thought of competition between him and Russell bringing out the best of each other, starting the one in form and substituting the other as McClaren used to do with his wide players. Again, I'd give give Blackman a chance to stake a claim.

As soon as the starting 11 was announced I would have snapped your hand off for a point. 

Brighton must have been creaming themselves when they saw that the best player in the league who ripped them to pieces at their place last season after a season injured wasn't even playing....and Martin who has scored loads against them was also on he bench. 

First test for Nigel was picking the best 11, he failed that totally. 

Archived