Jeff Hendrick - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

44 minutes ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Only two of our midfielders will get a decent fee and that is hughes and Hendrick. As an earlier poster mentioned, Hendricks stock is probably as high as it will ever be. Also Hughes is far better and consistent. If Hendrick does not get in the first team week in week out as he hasn't do you think he'll be happy staying here if he has other clubs after him? Of course not. Also as most pundits have been bugging him up that much he might think that he deserves a shot in the premier league which he does really after his international performances. Plus he'll probably double his wages. 

Depends what you would class as a 'decent fee.' I don't see any reason why Butterfield's value would have decreased since we signed him. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Fair point mate. I just think we are not gonna be able to spend a lot of money this summer without selling. We have too many midfielders. Out of all of them who I would sell. Hendrick will command the biggest fee. His stock will never be this high. 

Say we keep him. Then next year he turns down a new deal. Then we have got to sell him. But will get at least half of what we could do now. 

Maybe Pearson should sit with him and say, "Right Jeff. You've got 2 years left on your deal. We want to offer you a new contract. Would it be something you'd want to do?"

If he says yes. Then fair enough.

If he says No, I want to test myself in the Premier League. Then we have to sell. 

Could sell in  year if we are not promoted.

Hendrick imo would do better in the Prem than the Champ because he will have more time on the ball, he is a similar player in terms of both style and build as Jordan Henderson...i also think when Hughes plays in the Prem he will look even better than he does now, like Dele Alli has from MK Dons to Spurs

28 minutes ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Maybe not but it wouldn't have gone up. So that equals no profit. Both Hendrick and Hughes were academy so all profit. What's your point? 

You didn't say anything to do with profit, you simply stated that only Hughes and Hendrick would fetch a 'decent fee.' In my eyes, we'd get a decent fee for Butterfield as he's had a reasonable season, scored a fair few goals and is still only 26. So my point is that I think you're wrong in saying, "only two of our midfielders will get a decent fee."

Second best midfielder at club behind Hughes and we want to sell him. Have a manager in place who is probably a similar style to O'Neil. Agree he may want to test himself at higher level. If he does stay, he will be an absolute beast in this division. A lot better than what we give credit for. Oh but like players who run and have a engine. Time to keep him

10 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Second best midfielder at club behind Hughes and we want to sell him. Have a manager in place who is probably a similar style to O'Neil. Agree he may want to test himself at higher level. If he does stay, he will be an absolute beast in this division. A lot better than what we give credit for. Oh but like players who run and have a engine. Time to keep him

With you on this one, he's always been a favourite of mine and, although he is Irish, I still regard him as 'one of our own'.

A good season from him and Hughes sees us out of this division I think so time to see if he is capable of it.

How is Hendrick better than Bryson? Bryson scored 16 goals in a season, 2 hat tricks, one against Forest.

The only reason we held onto a playoff place was because Bryson and Hughes returned to fitness.

Hendrick is a plonker off the field (Hence the court case) and isn't the most consistent performer.  Rather than questioning last seasons tactics, someone should ask Jeff why it took the Euors for him to step up?

Sell for 5-7 mil and use the money for a couple of replacements.

10 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

How is Hendrick better than Bryson? Bryson scored 16 goals in a season, 2 hat tricks, one against Forest.

The only reason we held onto a playoff place was because Bryson and Hughes returned to fitness.

Hendrick is a plonker off the field (Hence the court case) and isn't the most consistent performer.  Rather than questioning last seasons tactics, someone should ask Jeff why it took the Euors for him to step up?

Everyone on here is banging on about replacements...... 

Can anyone name me these replacements we need to replace Hendrick? 

The man is a much better player than Bryson. Will agree Bryson has better engine. At 29 though think his better days are behind him rather than in front of him for our club. Hendrick at 24 has many great years ahead of him. Hence the money being talked about for him. 

The management is key here. He may need a manager like O Neil to get the best out of him. Pearson I see as someone similar. The bloke has been chucked around most midfield positions whilst here. He's at his best in oppositions final third. 

As for being a plonker off the field, there's been plenty of great players over the years who've been same. 

The new found love in for hendrick i find amusing.... done absolutely nothing for us.... bang average.... never had any consistency.... suddenly he has a good 4 games at euros he is some sort of messiah? If he ever performed like that for us he would be a regular starter granted.... but he will never do that. Sell him while his stocks this high.... anything over 5m for him will be fabulous.... while we could fetch anywhere between 5 and 12 for him right now.... yes he is one of those players who will be better suited to the prem rather than championship.... but we are in the latter not the prem... see and invest in other areas that actually need strengthening.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Different type of players but Jeff has the potential to go on to much bigger better things than Bryson, if he gets his act together.

34 minutes ago, satty atwal said:

The new found love in for hendrick i find amusing.... done absolutely nothing for us.... bang average.... never had any consistency.... suddenly he has a good 4 games at euros he is some sort of messiah? If he ever performed like that for us he would be a regular starter granted.... but he will never do that. Sell him while his stocks this high.... anything over 5m for him will be fabulous.... while we could fetch anywhere between 5 and 12 for him right now.... yes he is one of those players who will be better suited to the prem rather than championship.... but we are in the latter not the prem... see and invest in other areas that actually need strengthening.

Do you not remember Brighton in the play offs?

58 minutes ago, satty atwal said:

The new found love in for hendrick i find amusing.... done absolutely nothing for us.... bang average.... never had any consistency.... suddenly he has a good 4 games at euros he is some sort of messiah? If he ever performed like that for us he would be a regular starter granted.... but he will never do that. Sell him while his stocks this high.... anything over 5m for him will be fabulous.... while we could fetch anywhere between 5 and 12 for him right now.... yes he is one of those players who will be better suited to the prem rather than championship.... but we are in the latter not the prem... see and invest in other areas that actually need strengthening.

Always been there for me. I stand by what I say, 2nd best midfielder on books behind Hughes.

Also I hasten to add, rated by probably one of the best British managers of the last 20 years. 

Also generally, us fans say he's suited to the premiership more than us...... So here's a question for those who rate Bryson more than Jeff..... If we go up would you mind Bryson being sold as he's "more suited" to the championship? 

I don't know whether reading threads like these makes me happy or totally dismays me. It reminds me that there are people watching football who know what they're talking about, then there are others.

Jeff is going to go on to have a very good career at Premier League and International level. He has everything needed in a player. 

I'm shocked that some Derby fans would prefer he goes on to be successful elsewhere than at Derby County.

He's better and has more all round ability than either Johnson or Butterfield. All he needed to do was mature and that only comes with age and experience.

3 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Hendrick imo would do better in the Prem than the Champ because he will have more time on the ball, he is a similar player in terms of both style and build as Jordan Henderson...i also think when Hughes plays in the Prem he will look even better than he does now, like Dele Alli has from MK Dons to Spurs

I've never really understood this myth that you get more time on the ball in the PL? I mean, at Championship level Derby tend to boss possession and usually end up with anywhere between 55-65%.

I can't see Derby having anywhere near that amount in the PL on a regular basis. Maybe against the likes of West Brom or Sunderland at home, but most of the time I'd imagine we'd average far less.

And not only that. Players in the top flight are better off the ball and close the spaces down well. Teams do a lot more pressing too, especially in the final third.

So having said all that, why would Hendrick get more time on the ball? I don't really understand the logic.

If anything, I think Hendrick is a better player when he has less time on the ball. He's less likely to dally, and his instincts means he can just play simple, quick passes. 

22 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I've never really understood this myth that you get more time on the ball in the PL? I mean, at Championship level Derby tend to boss possession and usually end up with anywhere between 55-65%.

I can't see Derby having anywhere near that amount in the PL on a regular basis. Maybe against the likes of West Brom or Sunderland at home, but most of the time I'd imagine we'd average far less.

And not only that. Players in the top flight are better off the ball and close the spaces down well. Teams do a lot more pressing too, especially in the final third.

So having said all that, why would Hendrick get more time on the ball? I don't really understand the logic.

If anything, I think Hendrick is a better player when he has less time on the ball. He's less likely to dally, and his instincts means he can just play simple, quick passes. 

I didnt mean more time on the ball in the prem with us i meant if he moved to one of the reported interested teams. Id say in general that the prem isnt the same style of football as the Champ, its not as physical and less teams press quickly like they do in the Champ. If any team presses us high up all our team struggles other than Hughes id say.

When we went up last time one of our better players for us was Craig Fagan and thats because he had more time and space to run into with pace, something he couldnt do in the Champ the season before.

Archived