Under 23s & Academy 16/17

SaintRam

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the highlights of tonight's game: http://toffeetv.net/video-derby-county-u23s-2-3-everton-u23s/

Two great goals from Jacobsen, the first a header and the second a solo run and shot. And that's after he'd missed a simple chance earlier. Anya missed an absolutely open goal, the easiest header you'll ever see, when we were winning 2-1. The ref looked to give them a bizarre penalty when we were 2-1 up. Not watched it again, but it looked on first viewing as though it was a regular clearance and then he pointed to the spot. Both Everton goals from open play went straight through Mitchell, no more than six inches from him.

Everton are league leaders, but our dreadful form earlier in the season means this defeat leaves our hopes of staying in the top flight hanging by a thread. Three games to go.

13 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Here are the highlights of tonight's game: http://toffeetv.net/video-derby-county-u23s-2-3-everton-u23s/

Two great goals from Jacobsen, the first a header and the second a solo run and shot. And that's after he'd missed a simple chance earlier. Anya missed an absolutely open goal, the easiest header you'll ever see, when we were winning 2-1. The ref looked to give them a bizarre penalty when we were 2-1 up. Not watched it again, but it looked on first viewing as though it was a regular clearance and then he pointed to the spot. Both Everton goals from open play went straight through Mitchell, no more than six inches from him.

Everton are league leaders, but our dreadful form earlier in the season means this defeat leaves our hopes of staying in the top flight hanging by a thread. Three games to go.

It bounced off his hair.

On 23/03/2017 at 15:00, Ghost of Clough said:

They may be filling gaps left by those who are injured or on international duty

I expect it's exactly that but still good opertunity to get the managers attention before he's settled on who he wants

I hope a few of our youngsters show him at least enough to be trusted as squad players next season 

• 2 weeks later...

With three games to go, I suspect we need two wins to avoid relegation (or maybe a win and two draws).

On Friday we're away at Man City. That's really tough as the league is a two-horse race between Everton and Man City  and Man City have to beat us to stay in contention for the title.

Then, 21st April we're away at Southampton, currently one place but two points above us. This is the must-win game remaining.

Our final match, on 5th May, is home to Chelsea who are safe in mid-table.

Two go down and we're third from bottom, but level on points with the bottom two and Leicester below us have a game in hand and the bottom two, Leicester and Reading still have to play each other so one of them will be getting points.

We started the season slowly and also seem to have thrown points away in matches. It would be such a shame to drop back down after working really hard since the turn of the year to give ourselves a chance.

You can find the fixtures and league table at http://www.flashscores.co.uk/football/england/premier-league-2/fixtures/

Wassall is lucky to still be in the job.

Done very poor in recruitment since we gained promotion and category one, why haven't the likes of Calero, McDonald, Koblenz and Zanzala been replaced?

Also why don't we play more first teamers who aren't getting game time ? Bennett, Lowe, Mitchell, Christie and Camara. We've spent a hell of a lot of money on the academy, I'd be a tad disappointed to go straight back down after a season.

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

Done very poor in recruitment since we gained promotion and category one, why haven't the likes of Calero, McDonald, Koblenz and Zanzala been replaced?

Also why don't we play more first teamers who aren't getting game time ? Bennett, Lowe, Mitchell, Christie and Camara. We've spent a hell of a lot of money on the academy, I'd be a tad disappointed to go straight back down after a season.

Harsh to say on Wassall, we don't know who is in charge of the recruitment for the undet 23s, Mac was in charge last time he was here, Clement didn't seem interested in the academy and Pearson didn't pay any attention at all.

I would also guess it is down to the first team manager dor first team players to be involved.

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

RE: Zanzala, you dont tend to recruit replacements for injured youth players.

Wassall is not in charge of youth recruitment, never has been.

Wassall also gets no say on which first teamers are available to him.

Under the circumstances, I think he's done very well with this squad to keep avoiding relegation a possibility. We've been clearly second best, ability wise, in most of our games except those against the other teams at the bottom of the division.

Wassall is part of the recruitment, asked him on the training ground tour.

The results, especially at the start of the season have been pretty poor to say the least. Drew against Mickelover and losing at Ilkeston ? Then poor in the cup comps, hammered by a very poor Leicester side 

2 hours ago, Papahet said:

They'll all be with the first team squad today, with the exception of Lowe. Do you want them to play on Friday night then potentially again on the Saturday?

Archived