Under 23s & Academy 16/17

SaintRam

2 hours ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Have we decided what result(s) we're wanting from tonight?

2 hours ago, eddie said:

Either a Reading win or a draw against Leicester.

Reading currently beating Leicester 2-0. Looks as if the Man Yoo Spurs game has been postponed. Man City and Liverpool drawing 0-0, but that one doesn't affect us.

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Reading currently beating Leicester 2-0. Looks as if the Man Yoo Spurs game has been postponed. Man City and Liverpool drawing 0-0, but that one doesn't affect us.

And no sooner did I type that than Leicester scored two quick goals. Now 2-2 for that game. I agree we want a draw or a Reading win.

After tonight's games we know if we beat Chelsea at home in the final match, we're safe. That's great. We could even lose that last game and stay up if other results go for us. The table is:

58fe5a1681ab3_20170424PL2Table.thumb.JPG.7bb9e1c86fe87e8e7c73404521c51581.JPG

Remaining fixtures are:

58fe5a807e59d_20170424PL2Fixtures.thumb.JPG.22b120b4bc376e3ff4bc2bbc806d60b2.JPG

with seemingly no date yet for the rearranged Man Utd Spurs game (presumaby postponed because of Ugo Ehiogu's death as he was the Spurs U23 coach). Because Leicester play their last game a day before us, we may be in a position where a draw could guarantee survival (since our goal difference is so much better than Reading's).

On 4/23/2017 at 18:18, Carl Sagan said:

Sunderland are now safe after beating Arsenal yesterday. Now it's two from the bottom six to go down. If Spurs beat Man Yoo tomorrow I think that's good (eve if it takes Spurs out of the equation) as it means a draw in our last game would see us finish above Man Yoo should they lose their final match away at Arsenal.

I know events have moved on,but I'd take the opposite view of the Spurs/United game.If United won that (preferably fairly well),then Spurs daren't lose to Leicester. For their part Leicester would have to win,as a draw might have them above us if we lost by more than 1 goal,but it wouldn't do them any good if Reading won.I like games where both have to win and you know they'll both be fighting tooth and nail.

The thing I don't like about you scenario is that it relies on an Arsenal side only playing for pride to beat a Utd side fighting for their lives.

2 hours ago, ramblur said:

I know events have moved on,but I'd take the opposite view of the Spurs/United game.If United won that (preferably fairly well),then Spurs daren't lose to Leicester. For their part Leicester would have to win,as a draw might have them above us if we lost by more than 1 goal,but it wouldn't do them any good if Reading won.I like games where both have to win and you know they'll both be fighting tooth and nail.

The thing I don't like about you scenario is that it relies on an Arsenal side only playing for pride to beat a Utd side fighting for their lives.

Very good points, but it turns out it's less relevant now as the Man Utd Spurs game has been rescheduled to 15th May, a week after the rest of the league has finished. So now, Spurs go into that game knowing that a draw against Leicester will guarantee their safety (with the benefit of keeping Leicester below us by 2 goals). And it's got to be a plus for us that we will know the result of their match before we take to the field. Really, the Premier League should have all the final matches scheduled to take place at the same time on the same day.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Very good points, but it turns out it's less relevant now as the Man Utd Spurs game has been rescheduled to 15th May, a week after the rest of the league has finished. So now, Spurs go into that game knowing that a draw against Leicester will guarantee their safety (with the benefit of keeping Leicester below us by 2 goals). And it's got to be a plus for us that we will know the result of their match before we take to the field. Really, the Premier League should have all the final matches scheduled to take place at the same time on the same day.

Fully agree that it's unfair that last fixtures don't finish at same time.Can't remember if Reading play their last game before/after us,or even on same day.If not played before us,we'd have to go for at least a draw.

Just seen they play after us,so whatever happens to Spurs/Leicester we'll have to play for at least a draw (assuming Reading don't win by 9!).

According to the Daiy Fail article on Sam Rush, there's an ongoing FA Inquiry into Ayrton Wassall's (one of Darren's boys, but not Ethan who is an academy scholar) alleged dual role at the club as both academy coach (the website says he coaches the U15s and U11s) and supposed scout for Wasserman Media Group (the sports agency that Sam was CEO of before he came to Derby): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-4463732/Derby-County-set-legal-fight-Sam-Rush.html

Archived