Under 23s & Academy 16/17

SaintRam

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Under 21 squad players under contract beyond the summer of 2016: Alex Babos, Mason Bennett, Josh Barnes, Alex Cover, Timi-Max Elsnik, Kellan Gordon, Callum Guy, Emil Riis Jakobsen, Calum Macdonald, Tom Mellors, Henrich Ravas, Farrend Rawson, Kyron Stabana, Luke Thomas, Lewis Walker, Charles Vernam, Ethan Wassall, Offrande Zanzala

Out of contract Under 21 squad players offered new terms: Alefe Santos

Just to confirm who's remaining in the U21 squad. 

Jared Bird and James Carvell released from the U18s

1 minute ago, rynny said:

Slightly surprised with all but Mats Morch. Thought they may have been given another year.

They weren't consistent starters last season, Calero had the most starts but he's 21. Time to let him find a club where he'd break into the squad before he's an out and out senior player.

Thought we could have saved ourselves £5m and a lot of wages by trying Calero in the Butterfield role last season. It's a tricky balance but I would rather give the opportunity to an U21 player first before spending so much money. As an obvious example this season, Rashford only came in because Man Utd had run out of fit forwards, but seized the opportunity and hasn't looked back.

Thomas didn't seize his opportunity, either in our first team or at Blackpool, despite his unexpected elevation to the England U20 squad/team. But I don't feel as bad for him because at least he was given the chance. Macdonald always seemed a strange one too have brought in in the first place.

Good luck to all the guys released.

31 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

They weren't consistent starters last season, Calero had the most starts but he's 21. Time to let him find a club where he'd break into the squad before he's an out and out senior player.

That is why I was slightly surprised.

Just now, rynny said:

That is why I was slightly surprised.

Suffering from a bloated squad and he's behind the most depth of that bloated squad. Wasn't expecting to see his name though, either.

Calero did not improve more that 10% since his arrival in my opinion. He was good in that company but never looked like bridging the gap to me.He could have been given 15 mins here and there however. Marco Gabbiadini told me that Kwame was the one most likely to make it out of the U21s. i did not agree with him.We need to sign a few foreign starlets now.

I would like to see Kevin Phillips go and find us a striker.Just take his word for it. I would play Bucko nearly every week in the u21s unless he wants to go. we are going to need three old heads most weeks in U21 Div 1 to stay up.

Thanks to all the U21 players who played this season and got us promotion. How many players of the 22 approx that Schteeve signed (including loans) are still at the Rams? Christie, Mitchell, Thorne, Ince*, Bent* ( * loan only) plus who else? He has not added great numbers

Can someone fashion a list or table of our retained U21 Squad with DOB, position played, length of remaining contract please? Big job, I know.

40 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Thanks to all the U21 players who played this season and got us promotion. How many players of the 22 approx that Schteeve signed (including loans) are still at the Rams? Christie, Mitchell, Thorne, Ince*, Bent* ( * loan only) plus who else? He has not added great numbers

Can someone fashion a list or table of our retained U21 Squad with DOB, position played, length of remaining contract please? Big job, I know.

I'll work on it

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Thought we could have saved ourselves £5m and a lot of wages by trying Calero in the Butterfield role last season. It's a tricky balance but I would rather give the opportunity to an U21 player first before spending so much money. As an obvious example this season, Rashford only came in because Man Utd had run out of fit forwards, but seized the opportunity and hasn't looked back.

Thomas didn't seize his opportunity, either in our first team or at Blackpool, despite his unexpected elevation to the England U20 squad/team. But I don't feel as bad for him because at least he was given the chance. Macdonald always seemed a strange one too have brought in in the first place.

Good luck to all the guys released.

I dont think Calero wouldve been good enough for it, not that I'm against him. I think he shouldve stayed in spain where the style of play wouldve suited him, and his physique wouldnt hold him back.

Kwame Thomas has always been nothing special in my eyes, looked slow and not really good enough. Zanzala is a much better player and much younger

10 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I'll work on it

Thanks SaintRam. although I am a very likeable chap, I have no likes left to give you. SaintRam...What a guy.

The 'What a guy' appellation is actually one up from a 'like' in the greater scheme of things. They are not recorded but are be cherished, SaintRam :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

I dont think Calero wouldve been good enough for it, not that I'm against him. I think he shouldve stayed in spain where the style of play wouldve suited him, and his physique wouldnt hold him back.

Kwame Thomas has always been nothing special in my eyes, looked slow and not really good enough. Zanzala is a much better player and much younger

You may well be right about Calero, but after the opening game it wasn't thought Bryson's injury was as serious/long term as it turned out. When we had Hughes out but expected Thorne, Hendrick, Bryson, Baird and Hanson to be in the mix, I think we should at most have brought in one new player & at least tried Calero out. I don't like how throwing ridiculous amounts of money at a problem is now seen as the solution.

As for Zanzala, he has the coolest name at the club - z is by far my favourite letter and the boy has two! Can't wait to see him given a go.

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

You may well be right about Calero, but after the opening game it wasn't thought Bryson's injury was as serious/long term as it turned out. When we had Hughes out but expected Thorne, Hendrick, Bryson, Baird and Hanson to be in the mix, I think we should at most have brought in one new player & at least tried Calero out. I don't like how throwing ridiculous amounts of money at a problem is now seen as the solution.

As for Zanzala, he has the coolest name at the club - z is by far my favourite letter and the boy has two! Can't wait to see him given a go.

I think Callum Guy should've been given a run out, I think he is a fantastic prospect.

We need that to be Zanzalas chant:

I love the letter Z and he's got 2....... The second verse, I have no clue

Archived