POLL: Does Wassall deserve the chance to build his own team?

Mostyn6

QUICK POLL: Does Darren Wassall deserve the chance to build his own team?   

242 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don't understand the question. Does Wassall deserve a couple of transfer windows to build his own team? Isn't this irrelevant considering we have a recruitment team which builds our teams?

Any manager deserves a couple of windows to build his own teams (says the guy who booed and hounded out Phil Brown with chants of 'you don't know what you're doing!' after 13 or so games in charge of the club)

Phil Brown signed half of our defence that won promotion last time. Better permanent signing record than Clough :ph34r:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, nottingram said:

The point is that poor performances aren't conducive to sustained runs of good results but good performances will generally lead to good results. It's not sustainable to play badly, so performances are, in the long run, more important than results.

I'm really not sure it's that difficult to understand. 

Performances are all well and good, but a team can regularly put in a performance  but not get a result. If that is the case the manager will not be there for long.

Every manager/ coach is judged by results not performances, as the saying goes it's a results business.

There is no doubt that in the last six games of the season, or seven of the last eight games, performances had improved. We had one disastrious game - but so have Hull, Wednesday, Burnley, Boro and Brighton - we've all lost by a three goal margin at some point over the past six months.

The question I have is trusting whether Wassall can get the best out of what we have, and improve it. There is no guarantee a new manager, however experienced, will get the best out of this group.

I loved the way we flowed against Hull in that opening 45 minutes. I'm pretty confident had we played the same XI in the away match at home on Saturday, we'd be at Wembley now.

But the decisions against Hull were not good enough. They would have stung. Can Wassall learn from that? Whatever you say about the guy, he knows our players better than anyone at present.

3 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Wassall might help identify them, thats it, and have the final say on who he wants. You can shove your hatred for wassall and the lack of his apparent charisma up your arse... as sam Rush will be the one dealing with all transfers.

For all the.... "he has no experience"... he did pretty good against a barage of uncalled for pressure by expectant fans who appeared to be more like the mob in the Roman Colleseum than supporters.

Are all rams fans the type who want a sexy manager who has won things.... all be it in another league in another country than keep a guy who knows the insides of the club and this league? if you are... then Sam Allaryce was right there will be no english managers left. A certain eddie Howe is doing ok... but hey... he is at a club where they gave him a chance at the start with no expectation, wheres this club seems to think it is billy big b0llocks and are out to get the manager because they dont like his interview technique... gimme a break!

If wassall hadnt qualified for the playoffs, ie he had done even worse than PC then i would agree with you. but fact is he got the team to produce 2 or 3 of the best performances of the season compared to PC.

I specifically said he has no experience "in buying players". You then took it out of context and used it in relation to how he did this season. Did you only manage to get your head out of Wassells backside long enough to read half a sentence?

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

There is no doubt that in the last six games of the season, or seven of the last eight games, performances had improved. We had one disastrious game - but so have Hull, Wednesday, Burnley, Boro and Brighton - we've all lost by a three goal margin at some point over the past six months.

The question I have is trusting whether Wassall can get the best out of what we have, and improve it. There is no guarantee a new manager, however experienced, will get the best out of this group.

I loved the way we flowed against Hull in that opening 45 minutes. I'm pretty confident had we played the same XI in the away match at home on Saturday, we'd be at Wembley now.

But the decisions against Hull were not good enough. They would have stung. Can Wassall learn from that? Whatever you say about the guy, he knows our players better than anyone at present.

I don't want a head coach who constantly makes poor decisions (or doesn't make a decision when he needs to) but who may learn at some unknown future time. While Wassall should know our players better than anyone at present, he apparently doesn't know them as well as some of us on here who would have made better choices without being in his privileged position. Hence it's a "no" from me. If he stays and takes on an assistant role working for someone such as O'Neill or goes back to the academy that's fine. But he shouldn't be the chief.

6 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

Has been the same for years. I even remember last year when saying that we should have gone for Barton, that nice teams don't get promoted. 

Look at Burnley with Barton and Boro with Leadbitter. Good players with the ability to be a nasty *******. 

We are a poor man's Arsenal and we desperately need a poor man's Viera.

Wasn't that point of Bradley Johnson. Recruitment messed up for the last two summers. £400,000 MF better than £10 million one.

This poll is the nearest to a government poll that I have seen.

Wassall sort of deserves a chance but we can do better.

Hughton has just signed a new four year contract so one fish on my list has already got away.

35 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

Wasn't that point of Bradley Johnson. Recruitment messed up for the last two summers. £400,000 MF better than £10 million one.

That Nigel Clough chap could spot a player.

On 18 May 2016 at 17:19, England Ram said:

It's a no from me.

I also don't think he will be here as the players are not 100% convinced by him.

For me the telling thing was Brysons reaction to the explaination from Bent after the substitution last night. If you get chance to watch it again, give me your opinions on that.

For me, his reaction tells me all I need to know about how they really feel about him as manager. 

So glad you posted that ,, was going to ask the question whether it was just me who imagined it ,, it was quick on the telly and could easily be missed but I thought it said a massive amount about brysons faith in wass as a manager and if that's any indication of the rest then wass apointment would be a disaster,,, 

He did ok with the players he had considering the situation he found himself in, and yeah all managers deserve a chance to build their own team.  But that doesn't mean we should hire Wassall.  What Mel should be looking for is the best possible candidate for the job, not providing Wassall with a club where he can prove whether or not he can become a successful manager.  Can't really vote in that poll.  And i love voting in polls !!

I put 'yes', but I don't think he should be kept on as manager.  I just didn't agree with the "Should have done better" side of the other option. I think he did remarkably well considering his inexperience at the time and the state the team was in when he took over.

I hold no ill feelings towards wassall after this season,  I'd just like someone else in (Rowett)

On 18/05/2016 at 11:27, Leeds Ram said:

A matter of opinion, I would say that the performances under Wassall like the Cardiff one for example were the poorest the team has played since pre Clough. 

Is that the Cardiff game that you wasn't even at ;)

On 18/05/2016 at 12:19, SaintRam said:

No, entertaining football is not a requirement for promotion.

Entertaining football is a requirement for Derby.

You seem to have been struggling to grasp that concept for months.

To be fair you can't tell someone what it is that want to watch.

Myself, I am happy to pay my money to be entertained by my own team no matter which division that is in.

Others want to spend their money to watch the best players in the world and how our team does is secondary to that.

End of the day we all pay the same money and see entitled to our opinion.

4 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

I put 'yes', but I don't think he should be kept on as manager.  I just didn't agree with the "Should have done better" side of the other option. I think he did remarkably well considering his inexperience at the time and the state the team was in when he took over.

I hold no ill feelings towards wassall after this season,  I'd just like someone else in (Rowett)

I agree with every word..except 'remarkably'. Substitute that for 'fairly'..

Would take Rowett but wouldn't be my first or second choice.

Archived