POLL: Does Wassall deserve the chance to build his own team?

Mostyn6

QUICK POLL: Does Darren Wassall deserve the chance to build his own team?   

242 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not a chance from me. 

The playoffs summed it up. A TV pundit is doing his job for him. 

If we have no leaders on the pitch, we need a seriously tough manager. 

Derby are far too nice and unless we get a few Barton esq players, we need a manager that can kick arse. He isn't it. 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

as bad, no worse. Which means overall the trend was an improvement in performances. Also "some" is not justice. "most" is far fairer.

We lost more, that's undebatable. But that's because we played to win. Under PC we played to not lose.

But would we have ended up 11 pts adrift of the auto's if we'd stuck with Clement?

We'll never know.

Did it make the sacking justified knowing now where we have finished?

Possibly no, because we finished so far behind the automatic spots.

Was there any improvement? No.

2 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

Not a chance from me. 

The playoffs summed it up. A TV pundit is doing his job for him. 

If we have no leaders on the pitch, we need a seriously tough manager. 

Derby are far too nice and unless we get a few Barton esq players, we need a manager that can kick arse. He isn't it. 

Hull did the horrible stuff well over both legs - think thats exactly what we miss at times

4 minutes ago, toddy said:

But would we have ended up 11 pts adrift of the auto's if we'd stuck with Clement?

We'll never know.

Did it make the sacking justified knowing now where we have finished?

Possibly no, because we finished so far behind the automatic spots.

There was no real question as to the justification of his sacking. He was sacked because the performances were boring and (apparently) some stuff happened behind the scenes.

Removing the latter reason, as I don't know about it (others do) - Performances were unequivocally boring and therefore it was justified.

The only question is: was the decision to appoint Wassall justified? and I think that'll remain a question. But I'd stopped thinking we were going to get promoted a few weeks before PC got sacked, and therefore I'm absolutely delighted that Wassall made the end of the season (bar a couple of games) incredibly watchable and enjoyable, and I thank him for that.

If he's given the job permanently, I'll support him. If he's not, I'll always be grateful to him for taking one the dullest seasons I've ever witnessed and making it interesting again.

Just now, curtains said:

Yes 

Do you think Wassall is a better manager than Rowett.  

Couldn't say, I haven't even seen 20 games under Wassall.

He got the u21s promoted though, and got us playing entertaining football again for the most part.

5 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

Agree with this.

Too many times I've thought to myself, right - player x is booked, now go and lean on them, make them make that mistake that gets them sent off.

Snodgrass was booked early doors last night, he was ripe for a wind up until he's off.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Couldn't say, I haven't even seen 20 games under Wassall.

He got the u21s promoted though, and got us playing entertaining football again for the most part.

18 games is enough time to show an improvement.

Coaching kids is very different to coaching the first team, that's  like saying Clement was successful at Real Madrid and PSG, so should be at Derby.

Entertaining football is not a requirement for promotion, look at Burnley and Boro.

It's now time to take stock, look at how we can move on, what's required to take us to the next level.

Just now, toddy said:

18 games is enough time to show an improvement.

Coaching kids is very different to coaching the first team, that's  like saying Clement was successful at Real Madrid and PSG, so should be at Derby.

Entertaining football is not a requirement for promotion, look at Burnley and Boro.

It's now time to take stock, look at how we can move on, what's required to take us to the next level.

No, entertaining football is not a requirement for promotion.

Entertaining football is a requirement for Derby.

You seem to have been struggling to grasp that concept for months.

Its a tough one! I like wassell but it must be hard from him coming up from the academy into the first team! Do all the first team players respect him? Do they all listen to him or do they think hes inexpierenced! Obviously im only on the outside looking in but it doesnt always look like the easiest dressing room to manager! 

Also whats going on with redknapp? Dont like that either! My heart says give wassell a season to have a go but my head says we need a strong manager with expierence!

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Wasn't entertained on Saturday 

Improved last night but it's not enough. 

Just now, curtains said:

All of a sudden your a Wassall man .

How so. 

Never said I want him over anyone else.

Said I'd support him if he was appointed, which I will. I've been entertained by the end of this season, bar Saturday's game which upset me (and everyone else).

All I've been doing is questioning the very flimsy reasoning people have to replace him. 

If someone else is going to come in, I want it to be because that person is the better man for the job. Not because Wassall isn't good enough, which i don't think is fair.

I don't think Rowett is the man for Derby, personally.

7 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Said I'd support him if he was appointed, which I will. I've been entertained by the end of this season, bar Saturday's game which upset me (and everyone else).

All I've been doing is questioning the very flimsy reasoning people have to replace him. 

If someone else is going to come in, I want it to be because that person is the better man for the job. Not because Wassall isn't good enough, which i don't think is fair.

Wassall is not the answer IMO 

Rowett would be my choice .

Thanks. 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

Wassall is not the answer IMO 

Rowett would be my choice .

Thanks. 

Your... welcome? :ermm:

With the squad we have we should have done better in each of the past 3 years. With a top manager in we would have. We have lacked a degree of motivation, lacked consistency, and lacked some tactical nous. Why accept that? We now have a reputation as under-achievers and lacking in spirit - to some extent that is fair. Too many heads drop too quickly and the players find excuses for not winning.

So let's sort it out : Houghton, Warburton, Flores, O'Neill, Pearson - any of these, and various others, would be able to address the problems as they have the power of motivation, tactical awareness and, above all, experience.

Why wouldn't you?

21 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Here's me thinking promotion was what it was all about.

If we were still top in the first week of February do you think Mel would have sacked Clement?

Not a chance, results count and when they start to go pear shaped we look at performances.

PistoldPete2
18 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I was thinking before Tuesday of a Rowett and Wassall combination. My concern about Wassall is that he may lack the savvy to make the most of resources he has. He deserves credit for getting us playing some decent football at times. But I wonder if he knows enough about the championship , to pick the right team for the occasion and make substitutions when he needs to. Weimann came on for ince against Brighton and scored with his first two touches. Then he wasn't even on the bench on Saturday. Why not? 

44 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

If we had managed to beat Hull last Saturday but had not been entertaining doing so,  you'd wouldn't have thrilled?

God help us.

No wonder the fans are so feckle! 

Archived