POLL: Does Wassall deserve the chance to build his own team?

Mostyn6

QUICK POLL: Does Darren Wassall deserve the chance to build his own team?   

242 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I know that, but, as Clement did, and McClaren before him, and Clough before that, should Wassall be given the chance to advise selling/releasing certain players and recruiting others?

I think he should, but the way you worded the first option sounds like "would you want to appoint Wassall as manager of the club and have full control" and not appointing him as head coach.

No from me, but with recognition for what he has done and understanding a) it's a very harsh judgment and b) there is a credible case for letting him build a team.

But, my instinct tells me that Wassall isn't the man to stiffen our backbone and harden our soft-centred nature. It's OK when we're not under pressure but in the big pressure situations like Saturday we failed.

We have the ability to challenge but not the winning mentality.

That's my feelings in the context of this poll.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

But McClaren was a very experienced manager. The players still failed horribly. It's time to refresh the squad.

Obviously whoever is in charge will need to shake things up a little, but I don't agree with some of the posters on here who are basically suggesting to sell nearly the whole team. People in the transfer suggestion thread are pretty much wanting the whole defence sold and replaced, after one of our best seasons defensively in recent memory. And then we've got people wanting to sell Ince, who in an average/below average season for him personally, has contributed to more goals than most players in this league with 12 goals and 8 assists.

we are no better off than when he took over 

have performances improved - not really

think alot of last night was down to individual pride and correcting the mistakes made on saturday 

i wanted rodgers but he looks like he is off to the scottish pub league so if going to be whos available 

big decision to come from uncle Mel - just hope who ever comes in get full control

6 minutes ago, Saturn5 said:

think alot of last night was down to individual pride and correcting the mistakes made on saturday 

i wanted rodgers but he looks like he is off to the scottish pub league so if going to be whos available 

big decision to come from uncle Mel - just hope who ever comes in get full control

We were on a downwards fall when Clement was sacked and we played some of the most boring football all season. I don't understand how you can say that performances haven't improved, the football has been its best all season and results like the 4-0 v Hull would have never happened under Clement.

Are we not allowed to have the opinion that he did absolutely fine with what he inherited but at the same time be reluctant that he's the man long term? 

That would fall somewhere in the middle of that, there's not really an option in there for what I think

halifaxram

All depends on where, and how, the football club sits in your particular firmament.

I suspect that some/many rely on success to contribute to their own sense of self-worth, hence the lashing out at anyone they perceive to have let them down.

For myself, the club sit somewhere in a niche, alongside family and friends, and consequent upon that is that you laugh together in the good times, and cry together in the bad, without recriminations. This can be tarnished a little if you identify a lack of effort and commitment, which happened on Saturday and was rectified last night.

On this premise, I want to like, and believe in our squad/staff, and if I do, then the sense of "we're all in it together", overrides the yearning for success all costs.

Therefore I would be totally comfortable with Darren being retained, but my preference would be that he was assistant to an experienced guy for a year or two, and retained an interest in the academy, which he appears to do very well.

In my view it would be a great shame if we lost people who are committed, and love the club, and replaced them with       mercenaries who may only be around for a short term.

we beat Hull away Under Clement - its very easy to look at what Clement did badly as it is with Wassall

but the fact remains we were 5th when Clement left and we are 5th at the end of the season only further away from the top two than we had been 

Last night we excellent but Saturday Woeful as was Ipswich, Sheff Wed, MK Dons, QPR, and the last 10 v Rotherham

But if you only want to judge everything on only the positives then please carry on

I think Wassall has done a good job this season. A manager who had so much doubt and negativity directed towards him when he was appointed by Mel and has managed to get the players playing entertaining football again for the most part of his reign this season (which is all I personally wanted, Clement's football had become infuriating to watch, especially when the results weren't coming).

Was very happy for him last night as again, he took a lot of flack (understandably) and has handling himself with dignity IMO throughout. I have however, voted to get a new boss in. I feel that if our expectations were to challenge for the play-offs, we would have no reason not to appoint DW full time. Because of our recent seasons performances however, as a club our expectations are much higher than this and I feel that is too much for DW with the limited experience he has. He's done a good job and deserves credit for what he achieved this season, given a good majority of fans thought his appointment was a disaster and we would tumble out of the play-offs like the previous season.

16 minutes ago, Saturn5 said:

hang on, so you're happy to judge Wassall on managing someone else's players, harshly, without crediting him for sustaining a play-off place and halting the slide, BUT you want the next manager to be allowed full control?

Hypocritical 

4 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Are we not allowed to have the opinion that he did absolutely fine with what he inherited but at the same time be reluctant that he's the man long term? 

That would fall somewhere in the middle of that, there's not really an option in there for what I think

Would be exactly my thoughts too. I voted no in the poll but I think the wording is harsh.

I appreciate what he did/has done, but I think we need somebody different to take us forward.

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

hang on, so you're happy to judge Wassall on managing someone else's players, harshly, without crediting him for sustaining a play-off place and halting the slide, BUT you want the next manager to be allowed full control?

Hypocritical 

Full control refers to anyone coming in having control of signing so we dont end up with players like Pearce

Archived