POLL: Does Wassall deserve the chance to build his own team?

Mostyn6

QUICK POLL: Does Darren Wassall deserve the chance to build his own team?   

242 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would of preferred a Poll more of should he get the job.

cant really vote here because obviously managers deserve a chance to set up their own team using the transferred windows if need be but at the same time he probably could of done better with what he inherited.

In other words I would need to vote for both.

Top guy, not quite ready.

I agree with Simsy - all managers shouldn't be judged completely until they've had a chance to build a team of their own. That being said, I'd prefer us to get someone experienced in.

7 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

That I want him to stay, but not change things to much and keep most of the squad the same.

well that would be building his own team. Keeping the ones he wants, and getting rid of what he doesn't.

4 minutes ago, Ewetube said:

I'm abstaining as I too think he's not quite ready to take on the role, therefore the question to me is hypothetical.

I hasten to add that if he did get the role he should be fully backed.

but it's your decision, so, a NO.

Think it's not the right two questions , too hard really to judge whether he should build a team or not based on whether he should have done better with what he inherited,, we really don't know the state of the squad moral when he took over so too hard to make a fair judgement and though we restored some pride last night we were ultimately found just short of making the  final step as indeed we have been for the last three seasons ? Only way I can answer is I would not give was the job as I believe it's too big a job for someone at his stage of his career , if I'm honest about his time there's bit of him that I've warmed to and bits I really don't like , the bottom line is he has come in and done the job on temp basis and you could argue the case either way about how well or badly he has done , but the ultimate question should he be made permanent and given the power to build a team I don't believe he is right for that job at this time

23 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

well that would be building his own team. Keeping the ones he wants, and getting rid of what he doesn't.

He is more of a head coach anyway, he can't just stamp his authority and put in place how he wants to play. Mel wants us to play nice football and have head coach who works with every part of the club.

2 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

He is more of a head coach anyway, he can't just stamp his authority and put in place how he wants to play. Mel wants us to play nice football and have head coach who works with every part of the club.

I know that, but, as Clement did, and McClaren before him, and Clough before that, should Wassall be given the chance to advise selling/releasing certain players and recruiting others?

As I don't think we need wholesale change in the squad; it's a no from me.

i still think we have a team of players worthy of going up (although obvs a few nips and tucks and additions here and there are preferable/inevitable)

to think that we need a complete new broom towards a bunch of players who have done so well in the last 3 years brings to mind babies and bathwater. 

I don't think Wassall did a bad job in the circumstances, but I would prefer someone to come in and get the players motivated whilst giving us a bit more resolve.

for me it's;

bring in a new manager

Wouldn't mind if we lost any of Keogh, Ince, Blackman, Bent, Weimann and all the current players out on loan.

bring in some youth from the academy and buy 3-4 better players (including a proper DM to compete with Thorne)

and we'll be up. 

I don't fear the 3 teams coming down as much as others do. They will be shell shocked and rebuilding.

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

it's pretty simple, does a manager deserve the chance to build his own team before being judged?

I don't think it is as simple as that. A manager could inherit a poor team, get relegated, still be judged favourably and earn the right to build his own team whereas a manager could inherit an excellent team, do reasonably well, be judged a failure and sent packing. It all depends on context and level of expectation.

He definitely deserves to. He's clearly very passionate about Derby, has been here for years, managed to get us into the play offs when most were writing the season off, got us back to playing attacking football at times, has got the best out the likes of Bryson, Russell etc. and he knows what Mel wants us to become ...... but I imagine most fans (myself included) are just getting so frustrated at getting so close, only for the team to not show up when it matters most and so would like an experienced manager to come in who is likely to get the best out of this lot on the big occasions.

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

He definitely deserves to. He's clearly very passionate about Derby, has been here for years, managed to get us into the play offs when most were writing the season off, got us back to playing attacking football at times, has got the best out the likes of Bryson, Russell etc. and he knows what Mel wants us to become ...... but I imagine most fans (myself included) are just getting so frustrated at getting so close, only for the team to not show up when it matters most and so would like an experienced manager to come in who is likely to get the best out of this lot on the big occasions.

But McClaren was a very experienced manager. The players still failed horribly. It's time to refresh the squad.

Archived