Derby County v Hull City

1 hour ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Carson

Christie    Keogh     Shackell    Olsson

Hughes 

Bryson    Johnson

Russell             Martin                Ince

For me, Hughes showed that he can play the holding role against Wednesday (he seems to have become outstanding at tackling since his return), and whilst I like Butterfield, I think we have to play Johnson to add that steel that we lose from Thorne's absence. Also, let's not forget who Johnson's last game was against and how well he did.

So ready for this game, my nerves are in shreds already. I'll be getting the train from Burton on my own as my mum is running in an Ultramarathon this weekend, so I'll be flying the flag for the BurtonRam family on my own for this one.:)

Let's do this man proud:

image.jpeg

COYR!

Spot on Burton Ram. I'm not sure whether it's just a coincidence, but Hughes seemed to find so much more space and time on the ball and dictated play a lot better than Thorne against Sheff Weds. Personally I have no worries going into this game. I suspect Johnson will start, with Butterfield coming on if he tires. Our big squad could massively pay off in the playoffs. 

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I like Butterfield a lot, but he's almost picked up the Dawkins role of clearly a good footballer but not seemingly imposing himself on the team. As one poster has said, he couldn't tackle a fish supper, at least he has more of shot the poor old Dawkins ever had.

I totally agree, Hughes isn't tall and stong like Johnson or Hendrick, but can make a good challenge and is a wee terrier and got more bite than people think.

Hughes is my choice to fill in at CDM because even though it means he isn't further forward, he is better at it than the other choices. I'd be tempted to have Johnson in the team as well to add Physical presence, but you have to tell Johnson to just play his game and i just suspect Hughes plus Bryson and Hedrick or Butterfield might get bullied a bit too much.

Shame Hanson is injured, as he's probably the natural replacement, certainly in the defensive sense.

Baird seems to have not been getting in the Fulham team so maybe is just getting to the point his legs are going.

Just pointing out that Hughes is taller than Johnson and is the same height as Hendrick. Hendrick is not strong at all, he has the strength of a little girl. Hughes has more balance and control than Hendrick and like you said has more bite than Hendrick. I'd be more comfortable if Hughes playing as a defensive mid than Hendrick. Midfield something like this

Hughes

Bryson     Johnson

Not feelin good about the hull match after the ipswich game wish that game never happened. Put a bit of a downer on play off. Derby need to win by a couple of goals to take to there place. Come on you rams..

Lets do this , not just for George , but for everybody connected with this wonderful football club , every single one of us deserves to be there, so come on lads focus on pitting your wits on the big stage next season and get it done, every single one of us fans will be right behind you , Owls , Seagulls and Tigers forget it , The Rams are charging into the Premiership

On 08/05/2016 at 11:05, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

V harsh Burton Ram. Done my time past 2 years. Started enough threads in rams chat to warrant a match thread start.

Absolutely. Little bit of debut nerves though, we're not playing Hull Ciy. Good luck and may the force be with you til the 2nd game of next season in the PL.

11 hours ago, Rampage said:

Another excellent post Carl. I did my concise effort on this topic somewhere else on here.

We need an early goal against Hull and a two goal margin after the first leg or I think that we are in trouble. Bruce is fighting for his job or a better one somewhere else. How will the players react to the loss of Thorne? A brave face will be seen but we only have one George Thorne and the players know it. If all the fans on here had digested your post, how many would have played Thorne against Ipswich? I do not at this time think that we will knock Hull out unless our chance taking is better than it has been.

Cheers. It's miserable isn't it, as we and the players know we've shot ourselves in the foot. Let's hope we get off to a flyer and can get over the line. You're right that we'll have to be a lot more clinical than we have been, but I also think the inabillity to see the game out against 10 men at Brighton was a worrying sign. If only we could combine the ability to retain possession we developed under Clement with some of the attacking verve seen before and since.

Carson

Christie            Keogh           Shackell           Ollson

Hughes

Bryson             Johnson(if fit)

Russell                                                            Ince

Martin

Grant, Buxton, Baird, Hendrick, Butterfield, Weimann, Bent

Oh and COYR

I'd play Johnson at DM, going on how he did against QPR at home earlier this season when Thorne was out.

When you really dissect that role it's about breaking up play and then simple distribution. There's also the added element of sitting back sometimes and helping the CB's out with passing, but when you look at who's performed the job well, it's only Thorne who's added a great range of passing to it. 

That brings me to my next point, which is that the role was first mastered by the boyishly good-looking John Eustace. Eustace wasn't a great passer of the ball but he just sat in and did the basics well. If Johnson is fully prepped on playing DM, watching old videos, having chats with the coaching staff and Thorne etc, he's definitely got the attributes to play well there. 

Also, I'd rather have the creativity of Hughes further up the pitch against Hull, seeing as they've got less immobile CM's like Huddlestone and Livermore (who looks like he's put on the pounds since cutting certain substances out of his system). His passing and vision could feed Bryson well, as he'll run rings round them all day long.

I can see the logic in starting Hughes at DM and Johnson further forward, that equally could work. Johnson and Bryson tore them apart at PP. Thorne's an important player but we've got a great midfield even without him.

Think I'd put Hughes at DM, playing in a similar fashion to the game vs Wednesday, and then have Butterfield in for Thorne.

I think Hull will be eager to try and keep Johnson out after what happened in the last game, and Butterfield is perfectly capable of netting himself and either succeeds or comes very close in plenty of games. Johnson could be great to have on the bench though, particularly if he's not quite fully fit yet - could give us a great 30 minutes if he's raring to go.

Hendrick on the bench as a potential replacement for Bryson or possibly Hughes if they tire/pick up a knock.

Difficult one to predict in both legs this. So many variables; how will you cope without Thorne, which Hull City team will turn up, etc. Bruce seems confident his team will turn up for the big occasion, and we're scoring fairly freely now which helps. I'm still not particularly optimistic, but then I'm a miserable *******, looking forward to Saturday a little more after the Rotherham game though. I'd have to disagree with your claim that only one City player would make a combined XI, but I guess everyone has bias towards their own club, and I'm sure if I did a combined XI it'd be biased towards City players, only natural really.

I'd be happy with a draw in the first leg, and have the decisive game at home. The impetus will be with you to win at home, and we tend to do better when teams come at us and create more space in behind and countering opportunities. That is my positive way of looking at it. The counter opinion would be that we've put in some shocking away performances this season, do so again and the tie could be over before the second leg. Too difficult to predict for me, just going to try and enjoy the occasion. 

If Hull play to their potential they will beat us. In my opinion, they are the best team in the league on their day (as in their potential is better than everybody else) but you never know which team will turn up.

They obviously lost 4-0 to us, and they also lost at Bolton, Charlton and Rotherham.

But on the flip side, they beat both Burnley and Boro 3-0, they hammered Charlton and Rotherham at home 6-0 and 5-1, beat Cardiff away comfortably enough 2-0.

Hull finished on 83 points, which certainly aint bad for when people think they've either been poor for large parts or underachieved. 83 points is only two less than we got under McClaren.

I just hope we play to a very good level, and Hull have two off days. 

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

If Hull play to their potential they will beat us. In my opinion, they are the best team in the league on their day (as in their potential is better than everybody else) but you never know which team will turn up.

They obviously lost 4-0 to us, and they also lost at Bolton, Charlton and Rotherham.

But on the flip side, they beat both Burnley and Boro 3-0, they hammered Charlton and Rotherham at home 6-0 and 5-1, beat Cardiff away comfortably enough 2-0.

Hull finished on 83 points, which certainly aint bad for when people think they've either been poor for large parts or underachieved. 83 points is only two less than we got under McClaren.

I just hope we play to a very good level, and Hull have two off days. 

I'd agree with all of this. On our day I think we're the best team in the league. When we were top in February having played poorly in the vast majority of our games, it seemed we would kick on once we started playing to our potential. Instead we got worse. We've still shown glimpses, and did so vs Rotherham, whilst Bruce seems confident we'll turn it on for the play-off's, certainly our players shouldn't be daunted by the occasion.

Most have played multiple times at Wembley, with FA Cup final, international and European experience, I'm just not sure if they've got the bottle. Doesn't feel like we have the dressing room closeness and spirit we had in our 2008 and 2013 promotion seasons, just got to cross our fingers and hope that quality compensates for that. 

Please not Hendrick at DM.

In the final third I love the guy. He's really good. In our half he's a weak and thick wuss. Dunno why but managers keep trying him there and it's never ever worked. 

I'd rather see a CB there. 

I'd feel confident of a result so long as Jeff doesn't play DM

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

. If only we could combine the ability to retain possession we developed under Clement with some of the attacking verve seen before and since.

We would be in Premiership next season if we had been able to do that, carl

Should be a fairly even game, if Johnson is fit he would replace Thorne probably, Hull are a physically big side and that will be a problem for us and we can be very mobile which is a big problem for them so you tend to think that the referee will decide who he lets progress based on the way he referees 

Archived