Richard Keogh - always got a mistake in him

mumblemumble

24 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I said it's only a little depressing, in a football context. Not a 'bigger picture' context. In a 'bigger picture' context nothing regarding Derby County matters one iota. 

Just reminds of how long its been since the days where we had players we could actually refer to as "legends". Getting back there though :) think a lot of this squad could earn that title. 

Ooooooh. So you mean to say that my statement itself is depressing, not the way I said it. That makes sense now.

In which case I agree. This is only the 6th time I've seen us finish in the top half of a table and I've had a season ticket for 16 years.

That's why I don't understand Keogh detractors of younger generations who are so quick to shoot him down. What on they comparing him to?! Is his tackling not as consistent as Mo Konjic? Is his postioning worse than Claude Davis'? Do we miss Martin Albrechsten's organisation for set pieces that much?

I'd understand it more from fans who saw us crowned champions of England and even those who were old enough to properly remember our successes of the 1980s and 1990s, but funnily enough the older generations often seem to be more patient. It's a generational thing. We've grown up with pundits analysing everything from 13728 angles criticising every player for every little mistake, so fans expect perfection. Keogh costs us half a dozen goals a season and that's what he's known for; what he does wrong in a few seconds in a few games rather than the hours and hours of good things in a 46 game season.

Half this forum haven't seen a player earn more cleansheets or seen us concede fewer goals per game during long spells with him in a settled back four. Fans should look at what players bring to the team more, than than always looking at players' limitations, or the things they can't do. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, rynny said:

Being under 30 at the start of the season I would argue against that. I have seen quite a few pairings that would come before those 2. Stimac with a combination of Yates, McGrath, Laursen, Carbonari, Dailly, Spencer Prior, Rowett. Then you had West, Riggott and Higginbottom. Michael Johnson & Tom Huddlestone. Shackell & Barker looked promising but unfortunately didn't have a long enough period together. Moore and Leacock would have a shout as well.

That's why I changed it to "arguably", but statistically Keogh and Buxton stack up incredibly well against any of those pairings you mention. Obviously only a moron woundn't have Stimac in their team and Taribo West is on a different planet to Keogh and Buxton. But as a pairing, they're bloody good.

Moore and Leacock were superb good for one season, but that's their problem. Buxton and Keogh had a good season and a half stretch of superb form. Keogh had that horrible patch last season but he's bounced back again, while Buxton has been with us for so long that I've done my GCSEs, A-Levels and a university degree in the time he's been here. I'm counting longevity as well.

Leacock and Moore is a good shout mind. Easy to forget how good they were in that season after what happened the following two seasons.

15 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

You had me until Moore and Leacock. 

I did say they had a shout, as in close but no cigar. I think they do deserve a mention as we did have a solid defence the year we went up.

Also to point out to @Duracell Buxton wasn't part of the clean sheet run last season. It was Whitbred and Shotton as partner to Keogh.

3 minutes ago, Duracell said:

That's why I changed it to "arguably", but statistically Keogh and Buxton stack up incredibly well against any of those pairings you mention. Obviously only a moron woundn't have Stimac in their team and Taribo West is on a different planet to Keogh and Buxton. But as a pairing, they're bloody good.

Moore and Leacock were superb good for one season, but that's their problem. Buxton and Keogh had a good season and a half stretch of superb form. Keogh had that horrible patch last season but he's bounced back again, while Buxton has been with us for so long that I've done my GCSEs, A-Levels and a university degree in the time he's been here. I'm counting longevity as well.

Leacock and Moore is a good shout mind. Easy to forget how good they were in that season after what happened the following two seasons.

Don't get me wrong I like both of them but unfortunately for them I am just old enough to have seen the list of players.

1 minute ago, rynny said:

Don't get me wrong I like both of them but unfortunately for them I am just old enough to have seen the list of players.

Also I said "anyone under 30", and you're not anymore so you don't count :p

You are not taking into account the fact that some people aren't happy unless they are moaning. The negativity from one poster in particular had me thinking wow, I'd hate to be sat next to you. I don't recall a single positive or humourous post about anything DCFC from him anywhere on the forum.

How does Keogh compare to Richard Dunne or Jamie Carragher in the own goals stakes ? He's nowhere near them, that's where.

I'm glad we've got him mistakes and all, there's nothing sly or dirty about him and let's be honest, if he was as good as old misery guts would like him to be, he'd be in the Premier League already.

It's so easy being a striker when you think about it. Miss with a shot and you get a round of applause for it. Any other position misses with placing a pass and it's groans all round. Make a mistake as a defender and get vilified.

Why don't we ask how many goals the forward players have cost us by not scoring from chances they really should have put away?.

Not a serious suggestion, by the way. Just a suggestion that certain members really shouldn't be quite so negative about our (well deserved) POTY.

24 minutes ago, 86 points said:

About time this pointlessly whiny thread got closed down, no?

There haven't been any whines in this thread in a while. So no, I don't think it is time. 

48 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

There haven't been any whines in this thread in a while. So no, I don't think it is time. 

Let's hope Keogh shares your sentiments going into the play offs, should he be unwise enough to visit this forum. He's probably not had sufficient abuse for one season as yet.

*sarcastic 

19 hours ago, Duracell said:

That's why I changed it to "arguably", but statistically Keogh and Buxton stack up incredibly well against any of those pairings you mention... But as a pairing, they're bloody good.

They aren't in my opinion. I think they are too alike. The best centre back partnerships have player with different qualities. The amount of times I've watched both of them go when one would have been certainly better staying put...

19 hours ago, EastHertsRam said:

How does Keogh compare to Richard Dunne or Jamie Carragher in the own goals stakes ? He's nowhere near them, that's where.

He doesn't score own goals. That's at least a godsend. 

14 minutes ago, unclej said:

He doesn't score own goals. That's at least a godsend. 

No he doesn't. He's got to be up there with Chris Martin for assist though, unfortunately resulting in conceding. :ph34r:

On a more serious note though he has been great this season. The thing with Saturday was that you could see it happening from a mile off. He has cut alot of mistakes out his game this year but still has the odd one in him. All players do though its just unlucky that when defenders/keepers make a mistake more often than not it results in a goal.

mumblemumble

You'd have thought he would have learnt from his mistakes in the last play offs but no, Richard was dribbling out from the back, losing the ball, playing risky passes that could have cost us. Silly. And this guy is our captain!

Interesting, because I thought he was our best player on the pitch. Always being positive, looking to make things happen, more than can be said for most of the other players on the pitch.

Could we have a 'Jason Shackell - Always got a mistake in him' thread? Two mistakes from him today leading to goals (although admittedly the first one wasnt just him). Keogh would be hounded for thosse mistakes, but Shackell get's away with it because he looks cool as a cucumber.

Archived