Daily Mail linking Tim Sherwood with the Derby job.

Yojimbo

They guy was average at Tottenham and made loads of decisions that baffled Spurs fans and he was awful at Villa. New manager bounce helped them survive relegation and the next season he admittedly lost his 2 best players, but he reinvested it terribly. He signed players like Lescott and Richards who have been some of Villa's worst players this season and they did awful with him in charge. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TheDeadlySaul said:

They guy was average at Tottenham and made loads of decisions that baffled Spurs fans and he was awful at Villa. New manager bounce helped them survive relegation and the next season he admittedly lost his 2 best players, but he reinvested it terribly. He signed players like Lescott and Richards who have been some of Villa's worst players this season and they did awful with him in charge. 

Are you for real? All the youngsters he blooded at Spurs including Kane? Lost his two best players at Villa then he had little say in transfers.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tim-sherwood-claims-aston-villas-6789720

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tim-sherwood-sacked-tottenham-axe-most-successful-premier-league-manager-in-clubs-history-9362900.html

If you are going to slag him off at least get some facts straight first.

Villa fans don't rate him as a manager but admit be plays good on the ground football and is a bit obsessed with himself. Also has a habit of taking of a dfm and replacing them with a fwd when 2-0 up,  then losses the game 2-3. He'll fit right  in then. 

48 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

This thread sickens me.

An admittedly half-arsed coat related pun attempt by Duracell has been virtually ignored and proper debate about Tim Sherwood has evolved.

If only it was Kenny Jackett.......

If you're worried about declining standards of the forum, I shan't tell you that my effort was fully-arsed.

10 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Are you for real? All the youngsters he blooded at Spurs including Kane? Lost his two best players at Villa then he had little say in transfers.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tim-sherwood-claims-aston-villas-6789720

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/tim-sherwood-sacked-tottenham-axe-most-successful-premier-league-manager-in-clubs-history-9362900.html

If you are going to slag him off at least get some facts straight first.

Darren Wassall has good win percentage with us, doesn't mean we should hire him as permanent manager and he has helped bring through Hanson.

Even if he didn't have a say in the transfers at Villa it still doesn't excuse him for the terrible form he had at Villa losing 9 games out of 10 and them playing awful. 

I haven't actually had my say on the matter yet, so I won't keep you all waiting any longer.

Sherwood's not too bad, but the backlash from fans can be explained by a number of things.

1.) he's been on Sky Sports a lot, seems to be a bit of a darling with them. That never goes down well with football fans.

2.) he's failed recently at another big Midlands club. Whether that's his fault or not, he's still associated with that.

3.) he's a southerner. Unless you're from the Midlands, up North or a Scot, it's that little bit harder to win over Derby fans.

Time and time again, clubs appoint the name, rather than doing what you'd do in any other walk of life - appoint the person who matches the person spec and agrees to work to the job description you set.

How many times does a new managerial position come up, and then you get a list of names linked with the job, all entirely different to each other? Surely owners of football clubs, enormously successful in other industries, have a particular kind of person in line for a job vacancy? Or, at the very least, they actually know the job they're handing out!? If you're linked with, say, Warnock, O'Neil, Redknapp, Sherwood, Clement, Curbishley and Warburton you've got 7 names there with the only thing in common about the job they'd take is that they'd sit in the dugout when we play. Even then, add McClaren to the list and not even that is guarantee! You've got head coaches, managers that want to control anything, managers that do virtually nothing but pick the team, and lots in between in that list. What is the job you're offering? And who is willing to do THAT job?

Your shortlist shouldn't be a list of names of a certain calibre. It should be a list of managers/head coaches that are very similar to each other, with maybe one guy who's a bit different, who can all do the job you want. If you're after a head coach who just picks the side and leaves absolutely everything to other people you appointed, then Joe Bloggs of Grays Athletic is a better candidate than Neil Warnock.

It's on that basis that any appointment should be judged. I don't know enough about the club structure of Villa or Spurs to comment, and actually, I don't know enough about Derby either. But the point is, past achievements at previous clubs can count for very little. Derby could provide the structure Sherwood needs to thrive - maybe we've got other people doing the stuff he's not very good at, and he can concentrate on the stuff that he can do. I don't know enough about Sherwood or the club to comment on that. Can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone at Derby about that one, I've tried listening to Rush's answer about recruitment on the moan in the other night, and he speaks without saying anything.

The appointment of Schteve made absolutely no sense following the sacking of Clough if you went by his previous records without going deeper. The other East Midlands club he managed at the same level turned into a complete car crash. Remember that whenever you talk about a new name.

For the record, I'm not keen on Sherwood joining us at all  - but maybe some of you need to hold the trigger a bit, because there is a chance that he could be the right man for the job. Football's a funny old game. The only prediction you can make is that it never goes how you predict it to.

5 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I haven't actually had my say on the matter yet, so I won't keep you all waiting any longer.

Sherwood's not too bad, but the backlash from fans can be explained by a number of things.

1.) he's been on Sky Sports a lot, seems to be a bit of a darling with them. That never goes down well with football fans.

2.) he's failed recently at another big Midlands club. Whether that's his fault or not, he's still associated with that.

3.) he's a southerner. Unless you're from the Midlands, up North or a Scot, it's that little bit harder to win over Derby fans.

Time and time again, clubs appoint the name, rather than doing what you'd do in any other walk of life - appoint the person who matches the person spec and agrees to work to the job description you set.

How many times does a new managerial position come up, and then you get a list of names linked with the job, all entirely different to each other? Surely owners of football clubs, enormously successful in other industries, have a particular kind of person in line for a job vacancy? Or, at the very least, they actually know the job they're handing out!? If you're linked with, say, Warnock, O'Neil, Redknapp, Sherwood, Clement, Curbishley and Warburton you've got 7 names there with the only thing in common about the job they'd take is that they'd sit in the dugout when we play. Even then, add McClaren to the list and not even that is guarantee! You've got head coaches, managers that want to control anything, managers that do virtually nothing but pick the team, and lots in between in that list. What is the job you're offering? And who is willing to do THAT job?

You're shortlist shouldn't be a list of names of a certain calibre. It should be a list of managers/head coaches that are very similar to each other, with maybe one guy who's a bit different, who can all do the job you want. If you're after a head coach who just picks the side and leaves absolutely everything to other people you appointed, then Joe Bloggs of Grays Athletic is a better candidate than Neil Warnock.

It's on that basis that any appointment should be judged. I don't know enough about the club structure of Villa or Spurs to comment, and actually, I don't know enough about Derby either. But the point is, past achievements at previous clubs can count for very little. Derby could provide the structure Sherwood needs to thrive - maybe we've got other people doing the stuff he's not very good at, and he can concentrate on the stuff that he can do.

The appointment of Schteve made absolutely no sense following the sacking of Clough if you went by his previous records. The other East Midlands club he managed at the same level turned into a complete car crash. Remember that whenever you talk about someone new.

For the record, I'm not keen on Sherwood joining us one bit - but maybe some of you need to hold the trigger a bit, because there is a chance that he could be the right man for the job. Football's a funny old game. The only prediction you can make is that it never goes how you predict it to.

but does he have a nice coat?

15 hours ago, SecretDave said:

Please Mel, don't do it. Sherwood had his chance at Villa and look what a complete and utter mess he's left them in. Gary Rowett, Martin O'Neill or Sean Dyche for me please.

Sherwood had his chance at Villa...absolutely crazy talk.

Doesn't that also mean Dyche had his chance with Burnley in the Premier League last season?

Rams fans of a certain age will remember Derby and Blackburn jostling to sign Tim Sherwood from Norwich. He chose    Blackburn and got a Premier League winners medal. I have often wondered if he might have made a difference to our fortunes back then. Good player. Not convinced about him as a manager. I would go for Rogers but Harry's influence might sway Mel. I do think that a lot of negative comment about Sherwood is as much about him bring a southern softy as his recent travails at Villa.

It's a no from me. If I pod out for my ticket next week to find out Tim Sherwood has got the gig I'd be extremely deflated.

My memory must be poor because I didn't think Spurs needed rescuing.

He won 14 and lost 10 of his 28 games.

AVB won 44 and lost 16 of his 80. He had the highest percentage of wins in the PL era. 

He was constantly hammered by the media while Our Tim was the saviour of the season (and was knocked out of 2 cup competitions)

They were 7th when he took over and they finished 6th. 

Then Tim told everyone how it he took his record over the season they'd have finished in the Champions League. 

Super Tim

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

My memory must be poor because I didn't think Spurs needed rescuing.

He won 14 and lost 10 of his 28 games.

AVB won 44 and lost 16 of his 80. He had the highest percentage of wins in the PL era. 

He was constantly hammered by the media while Our Tim was the saviour of the season (and was knocked out of 2 cup competitions)

They were 7th when he took over and they finished 6th. 

Then Tim told everyone how it he took his record over the season they'd have finished in the Champions League. 

Super Tim

Sherwood's record in the prem is superior though so he isn't really wrong technically. You can mix the stats both ways to make one look better. AVB came off the back of big profile experience, Sherwood was just promoted up as well.

3 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

Sometimes you just have a feeling about a person, a dislike of their demeanour or attitude. Some subtle thing you see in the way they conduct themselves that maybe others don't see. I didn't like Sherwood as a player and can't see me taking to him if he was our manager. 

Isn't that called 'feminine intuition'? I've got really bad vibes about this bloke all ready.

As for O'Neill, I know he's had loads of success but his style has always struck me as functional than attractive, possibly not the fabled 'Derby way'. The fact that we appear to be waiting until the summer to appoint the next scapegoat, it could be O'Neill, World cup out of the way etc.

3 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Sherwood isn't my favourite no, I wouldn't lose my mind if he came in but at the same time I wouldn't be happy. He could end up doing well. Personally I like Pearson, good football and has the right experience both here and up in the Prem. Always the danger that the players could react badly to his more authoritarian mindset though I guess. Would like Rodgers equally but I'm not sure he'll drop down without being paid a bucket load of cash, he's hinted he would but could we really afford him?

Wait and see, might be a few more options available in a couple of months. Either way I want experience, Clement obviously had ideas above his station without the experience to back it up.

I'd be more than happy with either Pearson or Rodgers. They're both proven at this level, something I think we need in a manager.

Yes, you never know what options will be available in the summer. Everton have new owners now, so Roberto Martinez might become available. I wouldn't mind him in charge....

On Sky Bet there are a total of 12 managers with odds from between 3/1 - 18/1. If I were to order them in order of preference, it would go something like...

Rodgers > Moyes > Rowett > Warburton > Dyche > Pearson > Monk > Sherwood > Powell > Wassall >>>>>>>> Ince

Archived