Holiday plans - 2016

Mostyn6

2 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

is this it sage ? looks like you could have a game of cricket, a game of football and a game of rugby on there all at the same time !! how did you discover that place ? is it warm / hot ? looks like a good place to chill out and gather your thoughts, is there much to be done ? other than sunbathe and play cricket ??

Roemoe-Strand.jpg

It is a similar climate to Northern England, There is very little to do, We will hire bikes and take some sport stuff and books, tablets etc. We will be chilling out. I saw the cheap flights and then looked on Airbnb. This place came up so i investigated. There are loads of nice beaches near Copenhagen but this looks pretty cool. There is a Netto about 4 miles away and a few bars and restaurants on the island.

I am off to Cuba soon, got a flight for £330 return and staying in casas for £15 a night. I am a skank. 

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, sage said:

It is a similar climate to Northern England, There is very little to do, We will hire bikes and take some sport stuff and books, tablets etc. We will be chilling out. I saw the cheap flights and then looked on Airbnb. This place came up so i investigated. There are loads of nice beaches near Copenhagen but this looks pretty cool. There is a Netto about 4 miles away and a few bars and restaurants on the island.

I am off to Cuba soon, got a flight for £330 return and staying in casas for £15 a night. I am a skank. 

Good man, it's good to know that little places like this exist, how did you find the cottage ? Especially as it's so cheap in school holidays, thanks for sharing and have a great holiday !

4 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Good man, it's good to know that little places like this exist, how did you find the cottage ? Especially as it's so cheap in school holidays, thanks for sharing and have a great holiday !

I went on Airbnb. I find it a good site for the school hols as they are private owners who let their places semi-professionally

Where are you flying to? Billund?

We're doing similar at May/June half-term - flying to Billund for peanuts, got a nice AirBnB cottage for a couple of days in Vejle by the sea and doing Legoland for the nipper, then getting the train to Aarhus for the rest of the week (another AirBnB apartment and cheap flight back from there)

We went to Copenhagen last year and loved it so I'm keen to see more of Denmark. Romo looks awesome - might have to do this next year

7 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Where are you flying to? Billund?

We're doing similar at May/June half-term - flying to Billund for peanuts, got a nice AirBnB cottage for a couple of days in Vejle by the sea and doing Legoland for the nipper, then getting the train to Aarhus for the rest of the week (another AirBnB apartment and cheap flight back from there)

We went to Copenhagen last year and loved it so I'm keen to see more of Denmark. Romo looks awesome - might have to do this next year

I'm flying to Copenhagen, then driving across. I may yet spend the last night in Copenhagen.

What did you think to Copenhagen and have you got any tips for me? 

Copenhagen was brilliant - we had a 4 year old with us, so our activities were limited to what he would put up with but off the top of my head...

Took the boat trip around the harbour - this was a good way to see bits of the city quite quickly - especially the Little Mermaid which is a bit of a trek by foot, and not especially impressive (emphasis on "little")

There is a really nice restaurant on the top floor of the Post Office Museum which has very nice food and spectacular views across the city rooftops (museum itself is as rubbish as you'd expect a post office museum to be!)

If you like beer then head to the Mikeller bar (there are two) - they let kids in :D

Probably not an option if you are only there for the day but we got the train across the bridge to Malmo and that was pretty cool to get to visit Sweden too. Just don't do what we did and arrive with no idea what the Swedish exchange rate was and therefore had no idea how much money to get out of the cash machine..

And for the nipper we went to the zoo - which was one of the better ones I've seen, and the Lego shop is actually more like a Lego play centre with lots of Lego out to play with. Just a shame they didn't serve beer!

Christiana is worth a wander as it's a very weirrd place, but it is just a load of hippies and clouds of hash smoke so felt quite safe

Also good is the big food market hall at Torvehallerne - lots of good places to eat and buy obscure scandinavian food.

You definitely won't need a car in Copenhagen - the public transport is brilliant and everyone cycles. There are very few drivers - it's an odd feeling being in a capital city with such little traffic

• 1 month later...

Almost went unnoticed... but first of June Finland will play against Belgium in Brussels.

One of the best reason to spend a week with trappist beers. And as a game is friendly, the coming heavy defeat doens't have to drowned, I can just enjoy the beer.

On 08/03/2016 at 11:09, Mostyn6 said:

I actually recommend pricing up a cheap week away to a Greek island and comparing it to your week camping. You;ll be surprised how close the prices probably are in summer

You're right in one sense. But we now have a dog. Lovely thing in many respects.  But adds 250 quid a week to holiday costs unless we take her with us.

So its the dog friendly caravan on the jurassic coast for us this year. 650 quid a week. Self catering. 

8 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

You're right in one sense. But we now have a dog. Lovely thing in many respects.  But adds 250 quid a week to holiday costs unless we take her with us.

So its the dog friendly caravan on the jurassic coast for us this year. 650 quid a week. Self catering. 

We've got a dog friendly cottage in Weymouth, only 200metres to the harbour, for £530. With petrol costs it is probably cheaper to go on a cheap med holiday but we're bullied and controlled by a seven stone chocolate Labrador. It'd be a struggle to squeeze him into Ryanair baggage allowance.

Got back from  Croatia (Zadar and Plitvice Lakes) with  the lad on Saturday night and am off to Cuba on my own tomorrow morning (Cayo Coco, Trinidad and Santa Clara).

Croatia was excellent especially the Lakes.

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

We've got a dog friendly cottage in Weymouth, only 200metres to the harbour, for £530. With petrol costs it is probably cheaper to go on a cheap med holiday but we're bullied and controlled by a seven stone chocolate Labrador. It'd be a struggle to squeeze him into Ryanair baggage allowance.

Similarities there Utch.

We have a fox red labrador who thankfully so far is only 3.5 stone  but I do believe that as they are pack animals,  dogs need to be included and not boarded off somewhere. 

Your deal sounds good though and Weymouth is a great place as well as being closer. We are off to golden cap between Bridport and Lyme Regis. Hants junior still has ambition in paleontology ☺

Got home late Sunday night after flying back from Seattle where my cruise to Alaska departed from.Had a fantastic time,was well worth the money.Great excursions,scenery,food,etc.

I highly recommend to anyone to go to Alaska if at all possible,absolutely gorgeous place.

18 hours ago, sage said:

Got back from  Croatia (Zadar and Plitvice Lakes) with  the lad on Saturday night and am off to Cuba on my own tomorrow morning (Cayo Coco, Trinidad and Santa Clara).

Croatia was excellent especially the Lakes.

Is Mel funding all this or what? 

19 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Similarities there Utch.

We have a fox red labrador who thankfully so far is only 3.5 stone  but I do believe that as they are pack animals,  dogs need to be included and not boarded off somewhere. 

Your deal sounds good though and Weymouth is a great place as well as being closer. We are off to golden cap between Bridport and Lyme Regis. Hants junior still has ambition in paleontology ☺

Went  to West Bay last year, fantastic walks along the cliffs to Golden Cap. The pubs in West Bay all dog friendly as well.  Love Dorset but yet to spot  the famous amphibians there. 

(froggg)

38 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Went  to West Bay last year, fantastic walks along the cliffs to Golden Cap. The pubs in West Bay all dog friendly as well.  Love Dorset but yet to spot  the famous amphibians there. 

(froggg)

Couple of years ago West Bay on a Sunday afternoon had free live music on a flat loader stage. Sat there with me pint and listened along quite happy.

Was born in Yeovil actually (moved to Derby aged 7) so Weymouth swanage and west bay have a few very hazy early childhood memories. 

Each year  (been for 4) we bring back a bucket of fossils. Mainly ammonites. Junior convinced he's going to discover the next great find. Last one was only about 10 years ago- an icthyosaurus- which is proudly displayed in a fascinating and privately owned dinosaur museum in Lyme Regis. 

We really enjoy it there. And many thanks for the info on pubs. Sounds much better than Bridport itself.

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

Couple of years ago West Bay on a Sunday afternoon had free live music on a flat loader stage. Sat there with me pint and listened along quite happy.

Was born in Yeovil actually (moved to Derby aged 7) so Weymouth swanage and west bay have a few very hazy early childhood memories. 

Each year  (been for 4) we bring back a bucket of fossils. Mainly ammonites. Junior convinced he's going to discover the next great find. Last one was only about 10 years ago- an icthyosaurus- which is proudly displayed in a fascinating and privately owned dinosaur museum in Lyme Regis. 

We really enjoy it there. And many thanks for the info on pubs. Sounds much better than Bridport itself.

The George in West Bay is especially friendly with dogs, the landlord will come over and make a fuss of your pooch. The ale is from the local brewery in Bridport a mile away and the food is very good. The outside tables are great for people watching and chilling with views of the harbour. You can see some of the Broadchurch locations there as well.

Not much to do for Junior unfortunately although the caravan park has a swimming pool and play areas that you can use.

Archived