Holiday plans - 2016

Mostyn6

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Shame that a country already so crippled is now losing its tourism.

Having spent a number of summer holidays there, I really feel for them.

Well, I shall be doing my bit for them. I am going back in 3 weeks to drink Mythos and eat Souvlaki.

It's a sacrifice, and I know I'm a hero.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Well, I shall be doing my bit for them. I am going back in 3 weeks to drink Mythos and eat Souvlaki.

I prefer Άλφα, but am in agreement with you on the Σουβλάκι.

If your cholesterol levels are feeling low why not start your meal with some Σαγανάκι (Saganaki).

800px-Saganaki.jpg

Mmmmmmm friiiiiiiiiied cheeeeeeeeeeeese.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Off next Tuesday for a week on Santorini. Just my luck that the smouldering volcano erupts!

On 23/08/2016 at 15:26, Ewetube said:

Got back from Kos last week and it's quite worrying what the effect of the reporting of the refugee crisis last year has had on the number of tourists this year.

We were in Kos last year at the height of the reporting and I have to say what we were seeing and hearing on BBC World service and what we were seeing on the street bore little resemblance.

We spoke to a number of restauranteurs, hoteliers, bar owners and shop keepers and they all were worried about making enough money this summer to sustain themselves through the winter. They said tourist numbers this August were on a par with what they'd usually get in May. One lady told us "the media has killed us" and asked why they hadn't been back to report the fact that Kos was pretty much now free of refugees.

There's also a knock-on effect from this year's low tourist numbers in that airlines are reducing flights for next year.

Nothing to do with the £ being weak pushing the prices of holidays in Europe up and also making the prices when there more expensive.

Sith Happens
56 minutes ago, Strange yearnings said:

Off next Tuesday for a week on Santorini. Just my luck that the smouldering volcano erupts!

One of the most stunning places i have ever been to. Oia or Fira for the sunset is stunning, or even Santos winery.

One of the places in the world i could visit every year and not get tired.

32 minutes ago, Ewetube said:

That's one of the places my missus has earmarked as a possibility for next year.

Mrs? 

Due to your username, I always assumed you were a lady. Are you a man?

Unless you are a "bean flicker" as Roger Mellie would say! Each to their own and all that!

Sith Happens
17 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Nothing to do with the £ being weak pushing the prices of holidays in Europe up and also making the prices when there more expensive.

That will be having some impact, but most of these places have been struggling all year, the pound has been fairly strong until the end of june, most people will have made decisions on holidays before this.

We went to turkey before the brexit vote and it was struggling before the pound dropped, its more down to if people feel safe or not than how much a beer will cost them.

15 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Mrs? 

Due to your username, I always assumed you were a lady. Are you a man?

Unless you are a "bean flicker" as Roger Mellie would say! Each to their own and all that!

Haha, rumbled!! Yeah I'm a bloke.

Had this username since the old 606 days (seemed like a good idea at the time) and I really couldn't be arsed to think of a new name when I joined here.

40 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Don't think that has a lot to do with it TBH. When you constantly hear bad things on the news about a place it's going to sway your decision making process when selecting a holiday destination.

10 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Let the tour operators drop their mark ups a bit then.

spain prices have gone ridiculous because people 'feel safe' there.

Supply and demand works both ways

I get what you're saying. With somewhere like Kos though the flight alone is proportionately very costly; for a package deal we got a fortnight there and the cost per person was only £100 more than if we'd gone for a week.

In the Scum on Saturday, there was a the following deal - 2nts B&B in Abu Dhabi followed by 13 nts motor home hire in Perth, Australia. 

£1000 p/p seems a steal for May 2017 dept, anyone been to Perth that time of year?

Is there enough to see around Perth in the timescale available to make it worthwhile?

7 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

In the Scum on Saturday, there was a the following deal - 2nts B&B in Abu Dhabi followed by 13 nts motor home hire in Perth, Australia. 

£1000 p/p seems a steal for May 2017 dept, anyone been to Perth that time of year?

Is there enough to see around Perth in the timescale available to make it worthwhile?

You can drive north up towards Broome. You have 200 miles of not much except great beaches and then there are some national parks. You would do soem serious mies though. You also need to be careful of how many people they think you can fit in a motorhome and paying for extras.

Weather wise it would be similar to our summer, around 18-22 with the odd rainy day. It will get warmer as you get further north, more like 25-28. 

8 minutes ago, sage said:

You can drive north up towards Broome. You have 200 miles of not much except great beaches and then there are some national parks. You would do soem serious mies though. You also need to be careful of how many people they think you can fit in a motorhome and paying for extras.

Weather wise it would be similar to our summer, around 18-22 with the odd rainy day. It will get warmer as you get further north, more like 25-28. 

Thanks it would just be the 2 travelling, I've heard Perth itself is very expensive, around £8 for a coffee, but would love to visit Australia. 

Maybe better to not do it on the cheap and aim for Sydney side to get the most out of it?

19 minutes ago, sage said:

Yeh It is pretty expensive re the exchange rate. 

I would recommend South Africa if you want that kind of trip, particularly Cape Town, you can stay then travel and live like a king as everything is so cheap, especially eating and drinking.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to Cala Santandria, Menorca in 2 weeks for some much needed R&R, never been to that island before.

Then off to Benidorm for my lads 18th a few weeks later, so excited I hope it's every bit as chavvy as I'm expecting! 

Archived