Holiday plans - 2016

Mostyn6

13 hours ago, MB (Wolfie) said:

Gang of us from work going to Amsterdam for the weekend in a couple of weeks. Hotel in city centre but other than get stoned & go to the sex museum I don't have the foggiest what else to do.

Go to Volendam for a couple of hours (lovely little village).

Have haring (herring). The best, I reckon, is from Stubbes Haring near the central station. Utterly fantastic, and now is the best time because the fish is fresh.

Walk around the Vondelpark.

Rijksmuseum.

Ajax Stadium tour.

Visit the diamond quarter where you can easily spend a couple of grand on the missus's ring ;)

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, MB (Wolfie) said:

Gang of us from work going to Amsterdam for the weekend in a couple of weeks. Hotel in city centre but other than get stoned & go to the sex museum I don't have the foggiest what else to do.

I know what not to do.

There's a rock club in red lights area with lot of bikers... for some reason they like to play Trivial pursuit and may ask you to join. Dont. If you do, don't play alone from start to finish without giving turn to anyone else.

And avoid those girls. Eventho it's red lights area, they are not whores. But still, stay away.

2 hours ago, eddie said:

Visit the diamond quarter where you can easily spend a couple of grand on the missus's ring ;)

I once spent a couple of grand on ring in Amsterdam.

The missus would kill me if she ever found out.

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

Just finished a lovely week in Caernarvonshire and surrounding area, lovely part of Wales and covered most Castles in the area only down side I fell down stairs at Harlech Castle :D

Sorry predictive text changed it from Caernarfon :blink:

Just had the weekend in Amsterdam with some mates.

Either it's been a very long time (which it has) or the cannabis there is a LOT stronger than it used to be. Saturday afternoon was an interesting one - mainly doing my best not to fall into a canal - and that was on the mildest stuff.

Just say no, kids. Not big or clever.

We go to the lovely island of Kos on Tuesday week. We went for a week last year, 9 days after my hernia op and had a great time. This time we're going for a fortnight and I should be a lot more comfortable in the "gentlemen bits" area, so really looking forward to it.

39 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Either it's been a very long time (which it has) or the cannabis there is a LOT stronger than it used to be. Saturday afternoon was an interesting one - mainly doing my best not to fall into a canal - and that was on the mildest stuff.

I'll never forget watching my mate slowly trying to pull his hand off between his feet for two hours.

Wouldnt smoke it myself but was well oiled by then so couldn't stop laughing/winding him up.

2 minutes ago, PrivateDerby said:

I'll never forget watching my mate slowly trying to pull his hand off between his feet for two hours.

Wouldnt smoke it myself but was well oiled by then so couldn't stop laughing/winding him up.

48 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

A lifetime's worth of messy stories can be created in one weekend in Amsterdam.:thumbsup:

just had my birthday weekend golfing in Wales. Played Llangollen on Friday morning, then drove to a friend's chalet in Phiwellhi, then played Nefyn golf course on Saturday, then yesterday, played Welshpool, managed to hit two sheep with golf balls as they are scattered all over the course!! Great weekend though with 9 mates.

Off back to Crete in 2 months.

Having a couple of days in Derby with the family. Really  enjoy coming here even when the football isn't on. Went to the ipro shop to get a few bits this morning. Then went to Nottingham castle. Enjoyed the castle but Nottingham is a rough old town. Back in Derby now. Looking forward to a meal at the silk mill tonight. 

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

just had my birthday weekend golfing in Wales. Played Llangollen on Friday morning, then drove to a friend's chalet in Phiwellhi, then played Nefyn golf course on Saturday, then yesterday, played Welshpool, managed to hit two sheep with golf balls as they are scattered all over the course!! Great weekend though with 9 mates.

i was in pwllheli last week :)

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Not long back from a week's golfing holiday in Scotland, the courses up there are something else!

• 4 weeks later...

Off to Florida on Sunday.

Staying with the inlaws but they have a nice big pool, only 10 minutes away from the beach and the use of a Merc SL600 (father in law's play car) while we're there.

Could be worse I suppose.

Got back from Kos last week and it's quite worrying what the effect of the reporting of the refugee crisis last year has had on the number of tourists this year.

We were in Kos last year at the height of the reporting and I have to say what we were seeing and hearing on BBC World service and what we were seeing on the street bore little resemblance.

We spoke to a number of restauranteurs, hoteliers, bar owners and shop keepers and they all were worried about making enough money this summer to sustain themselves through the winter. They said tourist numbers this August were on a par with what they'd usually get in May. One lady told us "the media has killed us" and asked why they hadn't been back to report the fact that Kos was pretty much now free of refugees.

There's also a knock-on effect from this year's low tourist numbers in that airlines are reducing flights for next year.

Archived