Nigel Clough/Burton Albion/Bris/Ronnie troll fest

Holdontightuk

2 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Agree with both, not sure we'd of gone up mind as the play offs are a lottery but I think we'd of made the top 6 if Nige had stayed.

All water under the bridge now but congrats to Burton, the ones being churlish would probably be more generous if it were a similar story from a small town club a bit further away and a manager they'd never heard of.

If we don't go up, will us and Burton be allowed to play home matches at the same time. Derby v Villa and Burton v Birmingham would be interesting along the A38.

Probably not as Derby & Burton us many of the same stewards.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

I could gloat but what's the point really.

Anyone with half a brain can see the numpties for what they are. Anyone with half a brain can see the league one finishing table.

There are a couple of posters on here who'll be close to tears that Clough has got them up.

Knowing how disappointed and hate filled they'll be tonight is enough for me and will make my celebratory bottle of tequila and chocolate scottish muffin taste a hell of a lot sweeter.

Andale! Andale! Arriba! Arriba!

Sigh :-)

I bet you've been close to tears too though, right? The happy, downstairs, tingly tears?

7 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I bet you've been close to tears too though, right? The happy, downstairs, tingly tears?

lets,mock someone for possibly being happy when a family friend has helped a club reach their highest ever league position, and promotion to the second tier of English football.

49 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Classy,

It's that kind of post and that kind of poster that get's me banned or warned. Cos of course I shouldn't respond in kind.

Not once have I wished anything but success on Derby County, not once.

People like you make me wonder whether I'm right to keep wishing the Derby fans success at all.

33 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

Yeah and a champ club should be able to have its own stewards not scrimp off a league rival (hopefully not), also will the stadium require improvements?

Their stadium already meets minimum capacity and seating requirements. But by the start of their 4th season (if still in the championship) will need to convert to all seating. 

27 minutes ago, 11carl00 said:

Their stadium already meets minimum capacity and seating requirements. But by the start of their 4th season (if still in the championship) will need to convert to all seating. 

Oh, not so bad but if they want to be a competing at this level they will have increase capacity to have greater revenue streams not sure if 6k gates will be sustainable at that level.

3 hours ago, eddie said:

Are you judging him purely on the purchase of Conor Sammon? What Clough can do (by and large) is spot talent - you only have to look at many of the players in and around Derby's first team squad.

That purchase is bad enough surely? :-) Talent is fine if you know what to do with it and tactically Clough didn't. 

He has always worked on a limited budget. He did a great job and clearing out the dead wood and bringing in some good players. I just wouldn't trust him with massive amount of cash.

That being said I thought the same of Clement too. 

1 minute ago, JaguarRam said:

That purchase is bad enough surely? :-) Talent is fine if you know what to do with it and tactically Clough didn't. 

He has always worked on a limited budget. He did a great job and clearing out the dead wood and bringing in some good players. I just wouldn't trust him with massive amount of cash.

That being said I thought the same of Clement too. 

I think he works better as a underdog, no surprise his record is better in the third tier at Burton v Sheff Utd.

1 minute ago, CumbrianRam said:

I think he works better as a underdog, no surprise his record is better in the third tier at Burton v Sheff Utd.

Agreed. Nigel will always be around the lower leagues doing a job.

It will be interesting to see what he does with Burton in the championship. Without investment they have reached the ceiling of what they can achieve I believe. 

That being said I can see them going straight back down unfortunately. 

Happy for Burton and their fanbase, however many. 

Knew quite a few going yesterday and made up for them.

The game itself didn't surprise me, was always going to be cagey knowing they didn't have to win, thought when they were effectively playing against 9 men, it would have been made more comfortable.

Next year will be a real challenge, mainly because I think they will struggle to score goals, but the existing players deserve their moment in the sun; this us a career high for most of the regulars.

On 27 February 2016 at 12:43, Holdontightuk said:

I think Clough was doing well at Sheffield United and, once again, fell victim to deluded people above him......are they doing better this year without him? Are Derby, some 3 years and £25mill later? No to both!

On 27 February 2016 at 12:45, David said:

If only we could do a mass poll across all Derby fans to find out if this is truly a minority, you look at the home attendances during his tenure and each season they fell, now either this is a coincidence or fans were voting with their feet.

Average attendance

15/16 - 29,359
14/15 - 29,232
13/14 - 24,933 - Clough Left, McClaren arrived
12/13 - 23,228
11/12 - 26,020
10/11 - 26,023
09/10 - 29,230 Clough arrived

David, you are wasting your time. There are fans on here still crying into their beer over Cloughs sacking, who hoped and prayed for this moment so that they could try and say 'I told you so'. Ignoring the fact that Rams fans stayed away in droves during his tenure here because most of the football was ***** and his tactical nous zilch. He was and remains a 'meat and potatoes' old school manager, who could never achieve success at a larger football club, as has been proved. I am pleased for the Burton fans that they have been promoted but the truth is they will come straight back down, same as MK Dons did, because the Championship is a different animal to the lower leagues.

9 hours ago, davenportram said:

so? It would create more jobs.

Maybe, I think that they would also take into consideration that Derby have a very big support from Burton, many of whom also go to see Burton Albion. It would impact on both sides gates.

1 hour ago, Jayram said:

David, you are wasting your time. There are fans on here still crying into their beer over Cloughs sacking, who hoped and prayed for this moment so that they could try and say 'I told you so'. Ignoring the fact that Rams fans stayed away in droves during his tenure here because most of the football was ***** and his tactical nous zilch. He was and remains a 'meat and potatoes' old school manager, who could never achieve success at a larger football club, as has been proved. I am pleased for the Burton fans that they have been promoted but the truth is they will come straight back down, same as MK Dons did, because the Championship is a different animal to the lower leagues.

I don't think NC was a million miles away from getting it right but it was taking him too long. In the end I would say his sacking was a business decision rather than football.

We played some very good football under NC but he never dared to completely remove the shackles.

If Burton going straight back down is the truth, I look forward to seeing the size of the bet you put on it...

3 hours ago, Jayram said:

I only see one person with an agenda here and it certainly isn't pro Clough. Maybe there are one or two people who wish we had never sacked him, but I'd say the vast majority see that the decision was right whilst being able to appreciate that several mid table finishes don't make him the devil incarnate and that he actually built the foundations of a very good team. I love how you accuse others of hoping and praying for their "I told you so" moment whilst digging up 2 month old quotes because you're so obviously infuriated that a manager you don't like has achieved a promotion.

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

Does anyone know how much clubs get money when they get promoted to Championship?

Congratulations, Burton and Jill Gallone!

In terms of prize money I don't think it's a lot, less than a million.  However, I would think they'll get a lot more TV & advertising revenue next season.

I can imagine Jill's only just waking after a day & night of hard drinking, hard drugs & hard co... :ph34r:

PistoldPete2
3 hours ago, Jayram said:

The fall off in attendances was a result of the fall-off in fans expectations as the parachute money ran out. With no new money being put in by the americans the realisation was that we were in for a long hard rebuilding exercise. Slowly Clough was turning things around but as G-Star ram says it was too slow and  he couldnt get us promoted. If he had been given £25 million to spend who knows but thats all water under the bridge now.

Archived