Nigel Clough/Burton Albion/Bris/Ronnie troll fest

Holdontightuk

We were 14th when he was sacked.We were dropping fast and the football was terrible.Anyway I have had enough of talking about a person who I thought we had seen the last of. Hopefully Forest will sign him up,and he will take them down,pissing off all their supporters who will hate it. Lets hope we move on with a decent manager,and hopefully play some good football and make it eventualy to the Prem.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
1 hour ago, top 6 finish said:

We were 14th when he was sacked.We were dropping fast and the football was terrible.Anyway I have had enough of talking about a person who I thought we had seen the last of. Hopefully Forest will sign him up,and he will take them down,pissing off all their supporters who will hate it. Lets hope we move on with a decent manager,and hopefully play some good football and make it eventualy to the Prem.

No one is making you read this thread.

2 hours ago, top 6 finish said:

No.

2 hours ago, top 6 finish said:

How many promotions? none.Was totally out of his depth with us,got the sack about 3 years too late.Nobody else got us out of the championship ? What about Billy Davies ? If you are talking about 2nd tier to 1st tier,loads more including his dad..We wasted nearly 4 years with him,dreadful football,took us backwards. Steve McLaren showed us how it should be done.

45 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

Again not true. That season before he was sacked we thumped Milwall 5-1 away from homeplaying some fantastic stuff. Against Yeovil we scored a passing goal that Barcelona would've been proud of. This narrative you've built up of him is quite impressive. Dropping fast would be losing two games in a row, one of which was a tight East Midlands Derby in your eyes? The football wasn't as easy on the eye as McClaren's but even back then we had reputation fo playing a passing game - opposition managers and supporters would frequently comment on it.

4 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Again not true. That season before he was sacked we thumped Milwall 5-1 away from homeplaying some fantastic stuff. Against Yeovil we scored a passing goal that Barcelona would've been proud of. This narrative you've built up of him is quite impressive. Dropping fast would be losing two games in a row, one of which was a tight East Midlands Derby in your eyes? The football wasn't as easy on the eye as McClaren's but even back then we had reputation fo playing a passing game - opposition managers and supporters would frequently comment on it.

Agree and I’m of the fervent belief that we would have been promoted that season if he had been allowed to see it through.

The pieces of the jig saw were in place and the fruit was beginning to ripen.

Anyway it’s another promotion under his belt, well done to the all concerned parties associated with the Brewers. Enjoy your day in the sun.

banker of the season bet next season is Burton to stay up, assuming nobody poaches him.

I said six months ago that Nigel is the kind of manager that would finish midtable in any division, and I genuinely believe he'd have probably kept Villa up this season!

Anyway, it's the next step I doubt.

Fairplay to Burton. Good luck to them.

I think it's bloody nice that he left burton with the job almost done, and left someone else to get them over the line (just), and now the roles are reversed. So he's sort of got two half promotions, making a full one. 

Mots awesome burton are in the championship. And so what if they go straight down. They remind me of Bournemouth in the prem. Punching way above their weight, but I'm sure their fans are loving it.  And if they get relegated I'm sure their fans will always remember their season in the sun.

But what Nigel could be good at is keeping them up, again like Bournemouth. So who knows how long that will go on for. If he does, he's got a job for life, and the only pre requisite will be to kee them up (and he probably wouldn't be sacked if they got relegated, probably not if they were relegated twice, being in the league at all is dream land for burton). Burton getting promotion to the prem would be simply ridiculous. But if he's given that sort of time, give it another 10 years, and you never know, he could have them sneaking into 6th. That would be incredible to see. 

But whatever, as long as they take 6 points off forest next season, that would be proper laughing chimp time. Especially as we won't be able to. 

It will be interesting to see if they can avoid 'doing a Yeovil'. A small club who have massively over-achieved to get to where they are. For Yeovil, they perhaps achieved a bit beyond their means and paid the price. They weren't a million miles away from dropping out of the Football League altogether this season.

The odds will be stacked against Burton to even stay up, but it's a great achievement nonetheless. Clubs like Villa, and probably Newcastle, will be going to the Pirelli. Staggering really.

Congratulations to Nigel, the squad and the fans, but most of all congratulations to Ben Robinson. Just goes to show what stable, sensible ownership can achieve in the long term.

Fantastic achievement for all concerned.

PistoldPete2
3 hours ago, top 6 finish said:

How many promotions? none.Was totally out of his depth with us,got the sack about 3 years too late.Nobody else got us out of the championship ? What about Billy Davies ? If you are talking about 2nd tier to 1st tier,loads more including his dad..We wasted nearly 4 years with him,dreadful football,took us backwards. Steve McLaren showed us how it should be done.

Nigel Clough got promotions from npl to conference and from conference to league 2. Now from league 1 to championship. Also got sheff u into play offs. He wasn't totally out of his depth in championship.. He saved us from relegation and consolidated ... He did a good job. Maybe not quite good enough. 

18 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

6 minutes ago, Pearson said:

Agree and I’m of the fervent belief that we would have been promoted that season if he had been allowed to see it through.

The pieces of the jig saw were in place and the fruit was beginning to ripen.

Anyway it’s another promotion under his belt, well done to the all concerned parties associated with the Brewers. Enjoy your day in the sun.

Agree with both, not sure we'd of gone up mind as the play offs are a lottery but I think we'd of made the top 6 if Nige had stayed.

All water under the bridge now but congrats to Burton, the ones being churlish would probably be more generous if it were a similar story from a small town club a bit further away and a manager they'd never heard of.

If we don't go up, will us and Burton be allowed to play home matches at the same time. Derby v Villa and Burton v Birmingham would be interesting along the A38.

3 hours ago, JaguarRam said:

Fair play to Clough for bringing stability on a tight budget but that is how he works and with money he would be terrible.

He had reached as high as he could with Derby and to be honest it is Hasselbiank's team at Burton.. He just had to not **** it up and they where promoted.

Are you judging him purely on the purchase of Conor Sammon? What Clough can do (by and large) is spot talent - you only have to look at many of the players in and around Derby's first team squad.

PistoldPete2
8 minutes ago, eddie said:

Are you judging him purely on the purchase of Conor Sammon? What Clough can do (by and large) is spot talent - you only have to look at many of the players in and around Derby's first team squad.

Yes and when he spent proper money he bought Keogh Poty and shackell also not bad. And barker who was very good. Sammon of course was a bad one. 

15 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Agree with both, not sure we'd of gone up mind as the play offs are a lottery but I think we'd of made the top 6 if Nige had stayed.

All water under the bridge now but congrats to Burton, the ones being churlish would probably be more generous if it were a similar story from a small town club a bit further away and a manager they'd never heard of.

If we don't go up, will us and Burton be allowed to play home matches at the same time. Derby v Villa and Burton v Birmingham would be interesting along the A38.

Don't we also share some stewards?

7 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Yes and when he spent proper money he bought Keogh Poty and shackell also not bad. And barker who was very good. Sammon of course was a bad one. 

Indeed. And Bryson, Fozzy, Martin and Sir Jake.

2 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Moaning barstewards?

Them too.

I guess it'll be like Notts County and Forest, playing at home on alternate weeks, or different days of the weekend.

Should be alright for us, what with Friday night Premier League and Super Sunday next season.

Well, I'm now in such a good mood over this that I've given out more likes tonight than ever before [nice bottle of Sauvignon Blanc is helping..].  Very pleased to see most people recognise what is a considerable achievement and fair play to those who made the wrong call but are big enough to acknowledge that..

Who'd have thought that Nigel Clough would have played such a major part in taking Burton Albion to the Championship. Division One's RanierI?- no money, small squad of unknown players - yet able to continue to get the best out of them and remain in the Top 2 against the odds. Special effort no matter what follows.

I wonder how the Sheffield United Board is feeling? Talk about a bum decision:)

Now we need the Rams to do their bit. This will be a long season.... but we might just do it!

Archived