Nigel Clough/Burton Albion/Bris/Ronnie troll fest

Holdontightuk

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fear for Burton next season - not because Clough, but more for reasons beyond their control.

Location for a kick off, there's some big teams around them, and they're only averaging about 4k at home. They are going to struggle - through no fault of their own - to not only attract, but sustain the types of players necessary to keep them in the league.

(but if Forest can.. then maybe.. :ph34r:)

If they can stay, then within three years they will have to convert the terraces to seated, which will not only impact the coffers in the conversion expense, they will lose capacity, and perhaps have to expand. Triple whammy.

Wish them all the luck, but perhaps they will need to do what Peterborough were doing - yo yo between the two leagues.

I used to follow them, actually like them as I see them as our second team who we want to do well.. As a lot of our fans watch both clubs etc but when I heard they sing songs about us and dis-like us etc what's that about? Made me stop following them after that and hope they fail.

Just now, Animal is a Ram said:

I fear for Burton next season - not because Clough, but more for reasons beyond their control.

Location for a kick off, there's some big teams around them, and they're only averaging about 4k at home. They are going to struggle - through no fault of their own - to not only attract, but sustain the types of players necessary to keep them in the league.

(but if Forest can.. then maybe.. :ph34r:)

If they can stay, then within three years they will have to convert the terraces to seated, which will not only impact the coffers in the conversion expense, they will lose capacity, and perhaps have to expand. Triple whammy.

Wish them all the luck, but perhaps they will need to do what Peterborough were doing - yo yo between the two leagues.

On the other hand, there's a lot of clubs in the Midlands at either a similar level, or just above/below them. Leicester, Derby, West Brom, Birmingham... all will have a couple of players they'd like to get a few games, but won't fit in the squad/aren't quite ready. See Shotton at Birmingham this year.

Clubs like Northampton, Walsall, Notts Co will turn up the occasional underrated squad player like Pringle or Ben Davies.

Equally, there's also teams disintegrating like Forest and probably Villa, who've got players who can probably do a job but are either out of contract, too old, injury prone but good, or just trying to jump off a sinking ship.

Always thought Nigel was generally good at mixing and matching both, although he'll have to stop trying to loan out Mason Bennett...

As for the seating/capacity/expansion thing, it could be an issue, although Ben Robinson has always had a good reputation in the past for sensible management.

Whether NC stays or not, I'm going to be greatly interested to see how they go about things.

NC still doesnt have a contract, he didn't sign one when he went back, that's the way him and Ben Robinson work together, so maybe Ben will decide NC isn't the man they need to keep them up.

If I was the Chairman I wouldn't do anything at all with the ground season one. I'd leave it as it is and sell out every week. 

They've got just under a 7,000 capacity I think.  They'll fill that comfortably, maybe get a temporary away stand put up for the bigger and local games. If they stay up, throw some cash at the stadium next season. To hugely increase the capacity too quickly would be a big risk cos if they go straight back down, they'll never fill it.

Stick the 6.2m or as much as they can onto the transfer and wage bill kitty, give themselves the best chance they can on the playing side.

The club is in a great position to be able to attract decent players really, they train at St Georges, facilities are brilliant and the playing surface at the Pirelli superb. No matter what is written on here, I think within football NC has got a lot of good will from other managers.

His mate Wass might still be in charge of Derby, his mates are in charge of Burnley, he's got established links with Leicester already, there might even be one or two players available to him when Derby get promoted, he might sign a couple of ex Blades now they are staying down for another season. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Coutts, Scougall and Ryan Flynn end up at the Pirelli for example.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them sign Andy WIlliams now Donaster have down.

It's going to be an intriguing and very busy summer, lots of the squad are out of contract and while I'd love for him to keep them all as a reward, it's pretty clear some won't be good enough at Championship level and it's clear as well that they need goals.

He'll need to spend very wisely indeed.

I know there'll be few on here who could possibly be as interested as I am, but I also know there are quite a few who are genuinely hoping NC and Burton do ok/well. I'll be keen to keep discussing things with those kind of people next season.

League standing aside, I don't think anyone is daft enough to think Burton Albion are genuine rivals to Derby County, the two clubs are a world apart and operate at totally different levels. It would be nice to see a few Rams fans adopt Burton as their second club, and despite the fact I think it's going to be a massive struggle, would be nice to see NC not get hammered week in week out for being a losing manager ;-)

1 hour ago, ronnieronalde said:

Whether NC stays or not, I'm going to be greatly interested to see how they go about things.

NC still doesnt have a contract, he didn't sign one when he went back, that's the way him and Ben Robinson work together, so maybe Ben will decide NC isn't the man they need to keep them up.

If I was the Chairman I wouldn't do anything at all with the ground season one. I'd leave it as it is and sell out every week. 

They've got just under a 7,000 capacity I think.  They'll fill that comfortably, maybe get a temporary away stand put up for the bigger and local games. If they stay up, throw some cash at the stadium next season. To hugely increase the capacity too quickly would be a big risk cos if they go straight back down, they'll never fill it.

Stick the 6.2m or as much as they can onto the transfer and wage bill kitty, give themselves the best chance they can on the playing side.

The club is in a great position to be able to attract decent players really, they train at St Georges, facilities are brilliant and the playing surface at the Pirelli superb. No matter what is written on here, I think within football NC has got a lot of good will from other managers.

His mate Wass might still be in charge of Derby, his mates are in charge of Burnley, he's got established links with Leicester already, there might even be one or two players available to him when Derby get promoted, he might sign a couple of ex Blades now they are staying down for another season. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Coutts, Scougall and Ryan Flynn end up at the Pirelli for example.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them sign Andy WIlliams now Donaster have down.

It's going to be an intriguing and very busy summer, lots of the squad are out of contract and while I'd love for him to keep them all as a reward, it's pretty clear some won't be good enough at Championship level and it's clear as well that they need goals.

He'll need to spend very wisely indeed.

I know there'll be few on here who could possibly be as interested as I am, but I also know there are quite a few who are genuinely hoping NC and Burton do ok/well. I'll be keen to keep discussing things with those kind of people next season.

League standing aside, I don't think anyone is daft enough to think Burton Albion are genuine rivals to Derby County, the two clubs are a world apart and operate at totally different levels. It would be nice to see a few Rams fans adopt Burton as their second club, and despite the fact I think it's going to be a massive struggle, would be nice to see NC not get hammered week in week out for being a losing manager ;-)

I think the type of manager Nigel is, he will a good choice for them to stay up. Whilst I was not happy with the latter stages of his time here, I can see him keeping them up. When he left here, I said Bolton should go for him, or a team that is in a transitional stage, maybe them lot down the a52?

As for signing old players, Sammon is on a free....

3 hours ago, rynny said:

I think the type of manager Nigel is, he will a good choice for them to stay up. Whilst I was not happy with the latter stages of his time here, I can see him keeping them up. When he left here, I said Bolton should go for him, or a team that is in a transitional stage, maybe them lot down the a52?

As for signing old players, Sammon is on a free....

If I were Nige i'd break the bank for Jake and the Fish.

Jake would be an exceptional captain, player and leader for them, an absolute inspiration for any young player at Burton.

Connor, for all his faults, is an absolute workhorse, he'll chase down defenders all day and create mayhem, all he needs is a predatory goalhanger type striker to feed off him.

Its all about expectations and all Burton have to do to be successful is to stay up. With Bucko and Sammon i'd have a fiver on em to do it.

Is Brayford still playing as well?

Having said all that, i'll die a happy man if I see Jake heading the winning goal at Old Trafford for us next season......

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

Jake would be an exceptional captain, player and leader for them, an absolute inspiration for any young player at Burton.

Connor, for all his faults, is an absolute workhorse, he'll chase down defenders all day and create mayhem, all he needs is a predatory goalhanger type striker to feed off him.

Its all about expectations and all Burton have to do to be successful is to stay up. With Bucko and Sammon i'd have a fiver on em to do it.

Is Brayford still playing as well?

Having said all that, i'll die a happy man if I see Jake heading the winning goal at Old Trafford for us next season......

Jake would only be sold if we get promoted I think. Sammon is a league one player and won't help burtons goalscoring problem. 

Fantastic achievement by Nigel, took over a team top of the league, and took them up automatically in 2nd.

To hold onto that auto spot took real bottle, being hunted down but always doing enough to hold onto their spot speaks volumes for the character he bought to the team.

4 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Fantastic achievement by Nigel, took over a team top of the league, and took them up automatically in 2nd.

To hold onto that auto spot took real bottle, being hunted down but always doing enough to hold onto their spot speaks volumes for the character he bought to the team.

He always used to get credit for getting Burton "virtually promoted" the season he joined us.

So congratulation to Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink on his promotion with Burton Albion to the Championship.

PistoldPete2
4 hours ago, Alpha said:

He always used to get credit for getting Burton "virtually promoted" the season he joined us.

So congratulation to Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink on his promotion with Burton Albion to the Championship.

So it was JFH's team that got promoted so credit should go to him? And what if Derby get promoted to the Prem? Theres still half the team that were Clough signings so shouldn't he get at least some credit for that?

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

To be fair to Cloughy as well, he gave credit in two separate interviews to Rowett and JFH for assembling the team and the hard work ethic they instilled in the players.

11 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Wouldn't disagree with Jakes credentials but if you had watched John Mousinho, you would see they already have this. Just saying.

Do think Jake would do well there though.

9 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

So it was JFH's team that got promoted so credit should go to him? And what if Derby get promoted to the Prem? Theres still half the team that were Clough signings so shouldn't he get at least some credit for that?

I was only messing.

13 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Wouldn't disagree with Jakes credentials but if you had watched John Mousinho, you would see they already have this. Just saying.

Do think Jake would do well there though.

No idea who John Mousinho is ZZ so i'll take your word for it.

If I was manager of any championship side needing a proven top 6 championship cb with exceptional leadership qualities i'd be trying to sign Jake (assuming he's not playing regularly for his current club that is).

14 hours ago, Zag zig said:

To be fair to Cloughy as well, he gave credit in two separate interviews to Rowett and JFH for assembling the team and the hard work ethic they instilled in the players.

He's still got class. Unlike some of the churlish gits who have polluted this thread.

7 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

Burtons open top bus tour coincides with our match in Saturday. That'll cut their attendance down considerably 

maybe, but how many of their regular fans actually watch us, seeing as we have loads of fixture clashes anyway.

And I guess many would think nip down to the Pirelli watch the bus then go to the pub to watch Derby.

I really dint think that there would be that many of our regular fans that would be so keen on Burton they'd go to a bus parade even if we weren't playing.

Archived