If you were offered a play off spot would you take it right now?

Sexydadbod

I seem to recall that a similar thread was made around the same time as last year. There were a lot of mixed views, many thought we would make it into the top 2 because they believed Bournemouth would crumble whilst others believed that we shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves. I personally would take a play off spot if you offered it to me right now. Too many believe we are comfortably within the playoffs but we are only 4 points above 6th placed sheffield wednesday /7th placed ipswich which is scary because when we played them we were well above them. If we lose to burnley,which is a strong possibility, whilst sheff wednesday win their game then they will be only 1 point behind us.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not now, but maybe in six games time! 

A sequence of five games including Leeds away, Boro away and Burley away was always going to be very hard but we needed to beat Reading and Brum to keep in touch. Two points out of twelve may become 2 out of 15, whereas we needed eight points.

At the start of the season I did a results predictor which has us finishing 6th. As the season has progressed I've updated it with actual results - we're now coming out joint 3rd but some distance behind 2nd. 

I think I would take play offs now assuming we mount a very serious challenge next year if we missed out. That won't be easy with the teams likely to come down though. 

I really hope that the last 4 results are a temporary blip and that confidence will return pretty damn soon. So why do I feel worse after these few games than I did at the end of last season - after all we're still 3rd in the league and have one of the best squads in the division?

It's because deep down I feel we've blown £25m (so relieved it's not my money even though it feels like it is!). We needed improving in goal and central defence and in Carson and Shackell wen did that. Butterfield I see as the temporary replacement for Will and hopefully Camara will prove to be the out-and-out winger that we've been crying out for for the last 2 seasons. That leaves Ince and Bent given permanent contracts on the back of loan performances last season and Baird, Pearce, Blackman, Johnson and Weimann. Approximately £17m in transfer fees and who knows how much in salaries! 

God I hope I'm wrong - the next half dozen games will give us a better idea of whether we can get this team back on track and how good a manager Clements is.

Yes I would take a playoff spot now!

Nah.

Don't care about being in the Premier League as much as most people. 

Just like to see good football. Don't care who we're against. 

If the football improves then we'll come top 6 anyway. If it doesn't then I don't care where we finish 

Archived