If you were offered a play off spot would you take it right now?

Sexydadbod

No I wouldn't.

I think we'll end up in the play-offs anyway. We're on poor form but we have the players to get into the top 6 sides in this league. Automatics is no way out of reach so by accepting a play-off place would be dismissing any chances we have of making the top two.

Don't forget that come the end of Boxing Day (four games ago) we were three points ahead of Hull with a superior goal difference. There's now been a 7 point swing in those four games which leaves them 4 clear of us. With 19 games to go there's possibility for any amount of points to be made up. Boro's defeat yesterday shows they aren't just going to automatically run away with it. I'm not saying we'll finish above Boro but let's not write off our chances of being above Hull.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Rampage said:

Not now, but maybe in six games time! 

A sequence of five games including Leeds away, Boro away and Burley away was always going to be very hard but we needed to beat Reading and Brum to keep in touch. Two points out of twelve may become 2 out of 15, whereas we needed eight points.

In 6 games the thread might be 'would you take top half if it was offered now?'

On the other side of the coin, it might be would you take an automatic place etc. 

A lot of us are fed up today and post accordingly, there's a full week to go before we play Burnley, if everybody has a good look at themselves (players and coaches that is) resolves to roll some sleeves up so to speak, we can keep on tails of Hull, whup them at ours and it's happy days.

Keep the faith and COYR

7 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

On the other side of the coin, it might be would you take an automatic place etc. 

A lot of us are fed up today and post accordingly, there's a full week to go before we play Burnley, if everybody has a good look at themselves (players and coaches that is) resolves to roll some sleeves up so to speak, we can keep on tails of Hull, whup them at ours and it's happy days.

Keep the faith and COYR

Keep the faith by all means but weren't the vast majority of fans thinking that players and management would have had a good look at themselves and rolled up their sleeves between last Tuesday night and yesterday?

4 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Keep the faith by all means but weren't the vast majority of fans thinking that players and management would have had a good look at themselves and rolled up their sleeves between last Tuesday night and yesterday?

Fair point well put. I'm afraid I'm trying to look on the bright side, still a bit sickened and not at my sharpest, in fact I feel so lethargic I'm half expecting Mel to kick my front door in and tell me to buck my ideas up. :(

4 hours ago, McLovin said:

I seem to recall that a similar thread was made around the same time as last year. There were a lot of mixed views, many thought we would make it into the top 2 because they believed Bournemouth would crumble whilst others believed that we shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves. I personally would take a play off spot if you offered it to me right now. Too many believe we are comfortably within the playoffs but we are only 4 points above 6th placed sheffield wednesday /7th placed ipswich which is scary because when we played them we were well above them. If we lose to burnley,which is a strong possibility, whilst sheff wednesday win their game then they will be only 1 point behind us.

It depends how we are playing towards the end of the season. When we went into the reading game last season only needing a point I was actually relieved we lost because I was convinced we would of just been further embarrassed by boro.  So in a but shell in form yes out of form no. 

I think that is probablythee best we will get this season. I know there is still 57 pts to play for but don't think our players have the right mentality and the manager has not enough experience at the moment.

Strange feeling. Thought Tuesdays' performance was a lot worse than yesterday but i feel worse after yesterday because I thought we would have put things back on an even keel by the time we played Birmingham. 

Burnley away will be our biggest game of the season for a number of reasons, none more important than how the manager responds with team selection and tactics and how the players react to all the criticism that's been levelled at them in the last month or so.

Look, the family are emigrating to Oz at the end of  May and I'd far rather we go up automatically than risk having my last memories of The Rams ruined by another Wembley disaster ( seen three , lost three and I missed the WBA final ?). 

So the  answer is NO , I won't settle for a play off spot. 

Selfish, eh? 

I can't believe the amount of Yes answers to be honest.

If I supported the rams then I'd be giving a firm "no" to the question, perhaps with the addition that the offer could go ********.

I get that a bad result or a few put together can result in a pessimistic mood amongst a few. Prior to the Blackburn game on the Brighton board there was a goon or two saying that they'd take top half right now, on the Boro board there's two in particular reckoning we'll finish 4th and 7th respectively merely due to one game we didn't turn up for where the opposition did.

But for so many on here to take the assurances of finishing 6th and missing out on the chances for the autos is plain silly in my book, no matter what happened last season.

In my opinion Derby are nailed on for the top 4 at least. Why settle for what you're overwhelmingly likely to achieve anyway with a possibility of making the autos as opposed to a 1 in 4 shot?

We are having a blip, all teams have them. PC stated he had them when he was at Chelsea, PSG and at Real Madrid. Hull have had one, and hopefully will have another.  Brighton have had one, Middlesboro are due one at some stage. I do think being in the top half of the table means you are more consistent with your playing form. Out of the current top 10 we have 6 teams to play, Wolves(a) being the first of them 6. Brighton(a), Sheff W(h),Hull(h) and Cardiff(a) all in April. The last one being our very last game at home to Ipswich. We need to turn it on in April till the end of the season. Stating now at this stage of the season, would you take the play offs. NO WAY. We have gone passed the halfway point and have only lost 3 games, only the current 2 above us have won more games. Last seasons champs (Bournemouth) lost 8 games at the end of the season. And the season Hull City took 2nd spot to get promotion they lost 15. Please start screaming for a playoff place if we go into the Ipswich game needing 3 points to secure one. I still think we can secure a top 2 place.

1 hour ago, ipad1977 said:

I can't believe the amount of Yes answers to be honest.

If I supported the rams then I'd be giving a firm "no" to the question, perhaps with the addition that the offer could go ********.

I get that a bad result or a few put together can result in a pessimistic mood amongst a few. Prior to the Blackburn game on the Brighton board there was a goon or two saying that they'd take top half right now, on the Boro board there's two in particular reckoning we'll finish 4th and 7th respectively merely due to one game we didn't turn up for where the opposition did.

But for so many on here to take the assurances of finishing 6th and missing out on the chances for the autos is plain silly in my book, no matter what happened last season.

In my opinion Derby are nailed on for the top 4 at least. Why settle for what you're overwhelmingly likely to achieve anyway with a possibility of making the autos as opposed to a 1 in 4 shot?

I have a friend who is a season ticket holder at Brighton & I was chatting to him this morning. He said that until yesterday's win away at Blackburn, Brighton had only got 1 point from 15 points over the previous 5 games. But no one at the club had really gone into panic mode about it particularly the vast majority of their fans, they just accept that things all of a sudden weren't going their way as things had earlier in the season & that a long list of injuries had finally caught up with them. It was just all part of what happens in a season. People weren't responding with gloom & doom like many on here. 

It's clear we have put pressure on ourselves by spending so much money this season. But we have a very strong squad I'm sure this is just our blip in our season that everyone gets. We will be back on a good winning run again soon but we may have to wait till after the Burnley game to do so. BUT KEEP THE FAITH

Archived