Oh Brad.....

drgoodspeak

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

absolutely right......we have some very detailed and erudite analyses on here in various posts. You'd think that a material change of style might have been signalled by the management team - we're not complete idiots I feel. The other possibility of course is that the players signed are simply not delivering the results the analysis indicated.

Its all a bit mystifying, but we're only half a season into PCs tenure.

The thing is though, when we signed Johnson the Norwich fans were on here saying Johnson is good but he can't pass.  And the Villa fans all said Weimann can't play out wide, he can only play as part of a front 2.  And we all know from before that Shackell is slow and can't pass.  There's nothing here that even needed analysis, it's obvious from 5 minutes watching the players involved.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, StockholmRam said:

If you can't pass a ball then you are not " a very good player" .

A catchy little reply but I didn't say he couldn't pass I said his passing wasn't good ... Keogh can only pass with one foot but he's a brilliant player and Shackells passing leaves a lot to be desired - yet still a good player.  Johnson is a very good player and for this league he's an excellent player 

18 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The thing is though, when we signed Johnson the Norwich fans were on here saying Johnson is good but he can't pass.  And the Villa fans all said Weimann can't play out wide, he can only play as part of a front 2.  And we all know from before that Shackell is slow and can't pass.  There's nothing here that even needed analysis, it's obvious from 5 minutes watching the players involved.

Very succinct analysis, Ninos, no graphs or other statistics required. Also you look a bit like Bradley Johnson on his day off.:D

Brad's head obviously isn't quite right at the moment.

Football fans have very short memories.

I just had a look at an email I sent to a friend back in October:

Before Bradley Johnson joined Derby:

Played: 5

Wins: 0

Draws: 4

Losses: 1

Since joining:

Played: 6

Wins: 5

Draws: 1

Losses: 0

Scored and set up a goal yesterday.

An instant hit thanks to his aggressive playstyle and attitude. He seems to lift the rest of the team.

Let's not forget what an absolute beast he was for us. He wasn't lucky for 6 games in a row, he was genuinely great.

Buttefield took more time to settle and the above results were largely impacted by Johnson's good form at the time.

I'm sure he'll get that form back.

Johnson is being played out of position, he's know it, we know it, just hope Clement realises soon.

The goal against Brum and the goal against Reading highlighted is defensive frailty.

Give him a few games as an attacking mid of as a left winger and we might actually get to see the real Johnson.

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

A catchy little reply but I didn't say he couldn't pass I said his passing wasn't good ... Keogh can only pass with one foot but he's a brilliant player and Shackells passing leaves a lot to be desired - yet still a good player.  Johnson is a very good player and for this league he's an excellent player 

Very good and brilliant players to me are ( in Derby terms) Igor Stimac, David Nish, Charlie George, John Gregory, Mark Wright, Colin Todd, Eranio... Few more into that list if I'd time. 

Id have to say not only Bradley Johnson but most of our current crop have some way to go to be described as " brilliant" mate to be fair. 

Absolute garbage again tonight, aimless hoofs to nobody, controlled a ball on his chest in a dangerous position that bounced about 20 yards off him. I am. Seriously starting to think he has a clause that he must play? Are Hendrick and Butters worse than that? no 

65% pass completion tonight after the 63% against Birmingham. Bearing in mind he makes a good proportion of very simple 5-10 yard passes thats shocking. His scooped ball into the corner to be chased is infuriating.

I agree that he adds much needed bite to our midfield but he's seriously out of form at the moment and needs to be dropped.

Just now, Stedcfc said:

65% pass completion tonight after the 63% against Birmingham. Bearing in mind he makes a good proportion of very simple 5-10 yard passes thats shocking. His scooped ball into the corner to be chased is infuriating.

I agree that he adds much needed bite to our midfield but he's seriously out of form at the moment and needs to be dropped.

Or... played in his best position. 

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

Or... played in his best position. 

Agreed, but we were under no illusions what formation we'd be playing when we signed him for a record fee.

Playing him as the holding midfielder in a midfield 3 or in a 4-2-3-1 is even more bizarre.

1 minute ago, Stedcfc said:

Agreed, but we were under no illusions what formation we'd be playing when we signed him for a record fee.

Playing him as the holding midfielder in a midfield 3 or in a 4-2-3-1 is even more bizarre.

I think we should just give him a run out in left midfield. 

He has played his whole career as a fairly decent central midfielder, found a manager who had the foresight to play him on the left and helped him produce the best season of his career. 

He then gets a move, which ultimately sees him go back to being a central midfielder. 

8 minutes ago, Stedcfc said:

The whole transfer was a bit too "ooh, I want that one!" for me.

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I think we should just give him a run out in left midfield. 

He has played his whole career as a fairly decent central midfielder, found a manager who had the foresight to play him on the left and helped him produce the best season of his career. 

He then gets a move, which ultimately sees him go back to being a central midfielder. 

To be fair, a 4-4-2 seems like the only way to get any kind of utility out of Bent, Weimann and Blackman. I'd consider playing Martin and Bent together and see what happens. Ince and Camara/BJ at RM and LM and Thorne and Butterfield in the middle? 

5 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Tit

Tbf mate, Dawnie has loads more experience than us on clubs spending vast amounts of money for little return. If we continue spending like this for another 5 or 6 years without success we'll be well and truly in Gumpsville territory.

Looked like Savage tonight.

Good player but he's counter productive right now. 

We get the ball moving and it's either him or Cyrus that can't see the next pass. 

We either get the Savage round the corner hoof or Cyrus dancing until everybody has lost their advantage. 

Can't afford two of them at it. 

Bradley Johnson is not the problem.

Seriously!

We are toothless upfront.

This is the problem.

Ince once again shocking, I think he is a waste of money, if we cant get the best out of him, lets change to direct system with wingers like camera and 2 upfront who can combine and be a threat.

Tonight was the biggest indication that we are good in midfield but not good enough where it counts in both boxes... which is where the game is won or lost.

Archived