Derby County v Fulham

Day

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Putting Bent in is pointless. Why try and fix something that clearly isn't broken? We've lost one game in 18. We've won 13 of our last 18 games. Let that sink in a little...

But why not at least use our alternatives in congested fixture schedules? 

I didn't know we dropped Martin against brizzle. Rested him and gave bent a game in which we did well I thought. 

When the precise right time to consider doing this is what we pay PC for. Might be worth a thought against leeds tho.

Martin has a difficult task when the ball isn't played into his feet.

His lay off created the crucial second goal today for Butterfield who was narrowly my MOM.

Thought Shackell and the rest of the back five played well in a competitive game.

Russell still doesn't look up when he has the ball and was lucky that his bad pass created an own goal. We need a replacement in the January window.

Hendrick made a difference when he came on because he can run with the ball.

Our midfield without him is too similar.

Big win. Really enjoyed it. Great effort shown.

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

But why not at least use our alternatives in congested fixture schedules? 

I didn't know we dropped Martin against brizzle. Rested him and gave bent a game in which we did well I thought. 

When the precise right time to consider doing this is what we pay PC for. Might be worth a thought against leeds tho.

The xmas schedule is not congested. It's one tuesday midweek game plus some saturday matches.

I really enjoyed this game because although the attack wasn't clinical, everyone really played as a unit and worked their socks off to deal with awkward skilled opponents. There was real determination. That said, Johnson and Thorne are making too many unforced errors but they will know that and be kicking themselves. Both make up for those errors with real graft and power and will have better games. Thought the back 4 were all excellent and Christies defensive game looks to have improved by an order of magnitude. He ran out a dangerous attack in front of me with such calm and assurance I was on my feet. Butterfield was easily our best midfielder. His feet are quick and he can pass short or long and think fast. Under Clement he will be a premier league player of quality. Martin struggles when he doesn't have his runners (Hendrick / Bryson) because they understand how he likes the ball but he grafted. JR gives everything but is a bit untidy and I think makes bad decisions as he closes in on goal. Ince could have had a brace. 3 valuable points and a solid team performance despite the lack of flow and poise

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Just out of interest - what made Martin's holdup play so bad today?

I mean he took 49 touches, posted a 72% pass success rate and won three aerial duels. Bent, vs Bristol City, took 29 touches, posted 55% pass success rate and won one aerial duel.

I could be wrong, but are people's high expectations cluding judgement somewhat? Was Martin's holdup play really that bad? Or did it just look that way?

Clement is big on statistics. He'll look at it and from a stats perspective see that Martin had a good game.

Touches don't reflect creating space or chances. He set up the second goal brilliantly but I don't think that was due to holding the ball up, just clever play. He tried to drop deep but he was isolated and he never really got involved I thought. I don't think he played bad. A solid 6 or 7 but it wasn't because he played the way we know and love. 

I can happily report that the invading Ginger Lady greatly enjoyed her trip to see the mighty Rams. 

Although as we were sat in the upper polite stand, some of the people sat round us didn't appreciate some choice Scottish words of frustration - so we've agreed to go in the rowdy end next time :D

Some observations from She:

"Fulham are pure she-ite - how are we not hammering these guys!"

"Russell's a pure wee tiger"

"Ince has picked up"

"Thorne's been mince this match, ya gutted? (yes I was, I man love GT)"

My thoughts on the match were:

We didn't play that well, just enough better than Fulham to get the win.

Defending:

Not bad but Fulham did get a couple of chances a better side (i.e. Brighton) might have finished off. Warnock did a decent job but looked knackedeed by the end, centre halves did good, Christie did OK defending. Grant fine. Midfield did reasonably but go passed around by Fulham a few times as well.

Attacking:

"Laboured" is the word I'd use. Not bad, but not scalpel like precision either. Ince and Russell were lively enough, Christie had a ridiculous run in the first half from our own half he just kept going, would have been great if he'd finished it, but the chance went. The own goal was a stroke of luck when we needed it, but I think we'd have got a break sooner or later. Butter's goal was a nice little set up and finish. Both full backs did decent jobs going forward.

Midfield - pretty sloppy was my verdict, better teams would have done much more that level from our guys. not bad, but not enough to be good either.

Overall:

We're top of the league, we're top of the league, we're top of the league.

Can't help but think some minds were looking towards Leeds and Boro and were happy enough to get this one done then move on. I was glad to see Clement wasn't among those minds. We didn't do great today but did enough.

1 hour ago, eddie said:

I think it's going to be touch-and-go avoiding the drop this season, given some of the opinions that have been voiced in the last few hours.

One more win til we reach the magical 50 point safety mark, keep the faith eddie!

Archived