Depression, anxiety, stress and other related issues

Mostyn6

2 hours ago, Ashz09 said:

I always remember a mate of mine took psychology up as a job and I'll always remember him saying Depression is a sign of the week and the tablets don't do anything.. They make you think they have and it tricks your brain. It's best to stay strong and sober then dwarf your brain with illusions and fake emotions.. Stuck with me for 10 years that. 

What backwoods university shat him out? I'm guessing like most of the students I know, he never went to his lectures? 

IMO Happy tablets buy you time. They dull the senses so you are a steady 6 or 7 out of 10 every day instead of ricocheting from 2 to 9 and back again when you are struggling. However you do eventually have to resolves or work on resolving your issues an then come off them, at the right time.   

Prozac turned me into a zombie, thought they were a quick fix - how naive, they're no such thing and made things much worse. Sage is right, eventually you have to deal with the cause, not the symptoms.

5 minutes ago, ladyram said:

Prozac turned me into a zombie, thought they were a quick fix - how naive, they're no such thing and made things much worse. Sage is right, eventually you have to deal with the cause, not the symptoms.

I've been offered medication for years but flat refused. I have to first of all try and comprehend and grasp why my mind and body feel and think the way they do and then I can try and unravel it all bit by bit and start addressing my issues.

It will take me a lifetime and even then I'll still have lots of difficulties and challenges throughout but drugs just mask the symptoms for a bit and often make things a lot worse.

Your brain is a powerful and wondrous thing so it's wise to try and understand it and nourish it as best you can. Drugs will not help with either.

If it's the only option though then I'm not judging anybody here. You do what is necessary to get back on the straight and narrow.

Wow not been on the forum in a while but this thread has hit me like a train.

I'm struggling with anxiety at the moment really bad. Mainly because of work. I don't feel fulfilled at all in my role and i know i'm capable of so much. I've been trying really hard to get a new job without much luck. I really want to progress in my career and have a baby on the way who i want to provide for in the best way possible.

A big problem of mine is that i struggle to let out how i feel. There just doesn't seem to be a connection between my brain and mouth sometimes but i can write my feelings with ease.

The brain is so difficult to control!

@Smyth_18 you perhaps don't have the level of anonymity here that some enjoy what with your charity stuff and running (great stuff btw). But I would always advise writing down whatever comes into your mind. There are plenty in here that have done so and it has been the trigger to some level of understanding and maybe even recovery. 

If you don't want to put it out there to the masses, feel free to pick anyone in this thread and PM them, every one has a similar feeling from what I can tell. I personally have reduced myself to tears both reading and writing PMs based on this thread and it's helped me massively.

3 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

The brain is so difficult to control!

Absolutely right....and nearly impossible to understand.  We are all at the mercy of our brain chemistry to a large extent. That realisation alone has helped me somewhat, I don't feel guilty now for being a miserable **** sometimes. It can be out of my control. Not always though, other times, I could make more of an effort to be more helpful to people who are probably only struggling along like myself.

6 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

They still are.

Are they? How depressing. (Pardon the pun)

I told my doctor flat, if I'd got a gun in my hand I would have pulled the trigger. That feeling stayed with me for about 8 years, when things really turned to ****. 

See now I think I've said too much, as I feel it's kind of a taboo subject. Does this make sense?

12 minutes ago, ladyram said:

Are they? How depressing. (Pardon the pun)

I told my doctor flat, if I'd got a gun in my hand I would have pulled the trigger. That feeling stayed with me for about 8 years, when things really turned to ****. 

See now I think I've said too much, as I feel it's kind of a taboo subject. Does this make sense?

It's a thread where people have laid  themselves bare, for the benefit of others who may be in the same situation.

So no, it's not taboo, but how did you turn it around, if I may ask?

The answer could be very helpful to others reading.

I've read back again through this thread, and I think it was Sage who mentioned that talking to friends instead of family was easier. I can completely relate to this, don't know why though.

Why is this?  

2 minutes ago, ladyram said:

I've read back again through this thread, and I think it was Sage who mentioned that talking to friends instead of family was easier. I can completely relate to this, don't know why though.

Why is this?  

Subconsciously you know that your friends have chosen to be part of your life, family are obliged. I wouldn't myself burden my family with anything, but friends appear willing to be involved.

Just now, ladyram said:

Why is this?  

All I can think is that it can feel like there will be less judgement from friends and than family, also we may perceive that we have let our families down by telling them something that feels like a fault about us.

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of interest, do you tell your partners when you are feeling low/anxious?

Because I used to think depress was mainly affecting single people who arent confident.ugly or whatever but after reading this thread...it runs much much deeper and can affect even the best of us

12 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Just out of interest, do you tell your partners when you are feeling low/anxious?

Because I used to think depress was mainly affecting single people who arent confident.ugly or whatever but after reading this thread...it runs much much deeper and can affect even the best of us

Won't be the same for everyone, but I for one have to. Way too dangerous for me to not.

14 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

You have to. I can imagine being the partner of a person with an anxiety disorder or depression is as testing as it is for the sufferer.

Sometimes there is no let up or sometimes things can be going well then in the blink of an eye plans have to change.

It is only fair on your partner that you tell them without feeling guilt or weak. If you have cancer then you have cancer. If you have severe panic disorder, anxiety or depression then you have them. End of. They should know and you shouldn't feel ashamed.

Myself for example have gone from holidaying all over Europe to not being able to get on an aeroplane due to anxiety and panic. Such a condition shrinks your world and what you are able to do. This includes my partners world and my childs world.

My kid is 8 next summer and we've not been abroad yet. Part cost , part anxiety. Next summer I'm summoning up the balls to go to France for a few days on the ferry for my kid.

It is planned meticulously down to the last detail. I must have a cabin both ways as it's a safety bolthole and I cannot have a sailing at the crack of dawn as my anxiety is severe the first few hours after waking especially if my routine is all to pot. It's a nightmare but i have to do it as i want the impact on my partner and kid to be minimal therefore if I reduce risk and uncertainty then I reduce my symptoms and we might even be able to enjoy ourselves.

Where we go out to eat will be planned as will most things. It's not too restrictive for my partner as I usually do it all in advance and she just goes along with it. Often it's beneficial as it cuts out hassle but on the flipside it also stunts any spontaneity.

It's tough. Really tough.

Openness and communication are the only way relationships can work though whether you've got a condition or not.