The Confessional Box

Day

I thought Lars Bohinen was going to be good for us, despite his source. I was wrong. And at a similar time Mickel Beck didn't seem a bad signing. What a shocker.

And I was a bit surprised when we splashed out a million on a slight lower division striker called Dean Saunders - what a player he turned out to be

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mikkel Beck. Mickel Beck. I was 17 when we signed him, thought we'd got a player on our hands. How wrong I was. Don't think I've ever been so wrong about a player, at least to the point I'd admit it to myself. Used to walk around the family home saying Mikkel Beck to my dad all the time. Was absolutely delighted.

Chris Martin, I've never been so right about a player. I knew nothing of him until seeing him play against Leicester at Pride Park. I came on here in the matchday thread or his transfer page thread gushing about his silky skills and brilliant play. What actually stands out from that memory is him running down the wing, weird eh, and he scored using his head. Utterly composed player and we got him on a free. There's a few players from that last season of Clough's that epitomise Derby County for me, and Chris Martin is one of them. Was excited when Russell came, he's another one of the DCFC 'way'.

Back in the Jim Smith days I'd get excited about anyone, I instantly thought they'd be a hit like Stimac, Poom, Wanchope, Eranio, Baiano etc... If they didn't quite make the first 11 I'd still be really excited about them coming on. We all did I think.

Anyone remember Kevin Harper? I still don't think he got a fair crack of the whip. I remember his debut, him sprinting enthusiastically down the left wing but nobody passing him the ball, the crowd berating the midfield for ignoring him. Then finally he got the ball, the crowd cheered and encouraged him. My memory of the moment fades, but that just shows what DCFC fandom used to be like. We got behind anyone and everyone, excited about every new signing.

I thought Fielding was pure class, I was sure he would be in the England squad for years to come then it all sort of didn't happen for him.

When Tyson scored a few at the beginning of one season I thought he could have a really good season due to his qualities. He got injured about 30 seconds later.

I really wasn't impressed when we signed Ward. Didn't think we needed a cast off from Sheffield United, he proved me wrong.

And Cyrus Christie. Towards the end of last season I'd have been happy if the club gave him a couple hundred grand to bugger off. He really is a confidence player, he's absolutely flourishing and I couldn't be more happy to be wrong. To think I wanted Baird starting ahead of him at RB in August...

The Bee's knees' - Candino Costa from Porto on loan. I thought this guy was going to be good - he was so bad I think in his last appearance for us he got subbed after 30 minutes or so?

I also thought Francois Grenet would be a cracking signing for us - never quite worked out though.

Underrated buys - Luciano Zavagno and Stefan Schnoor. Liked both these guys.

Non Derby related and sorry to repeat this but I went to watch Man united with my united loving friend when Christiano Ronaldo made his debut...he was all flicks and back heels, I remember telling my mate he won't survive in the premier league and that I could mark him out of the game..

I haven't been worng about too many players actually, but a few do stand out:

- Bob Malcolm. After seeing him against Wolves, I was convinced we had a cracking player on our hands. 

- Giles Barnes: Thought he was quality, good enough to play for a Premier League club. Maybe he was? Injuries!

- Jeff Hendrick: Thought he would be in the PL by now. I also overrated his goalscoring ability.

- Francois Grenet: I don't know why, but rumours were going around we'd signed the next Lillian Thuram.

On the flip side:

- Paul Coutts. Thought he was awful, turned out to be only average. I guess I slightly underrated him?

- Jason Shackell: He's actually a much better defender than I gave him credit for. Burnley had our pants down when we sold him to them for so cheap, considering his age and ability at the time too.

Archived