The Confessional Box

Day

2 minutes ago, emjlc02 said:

I thought Billy Davies was a good manager for a while.

I also remember many on here thinking that players like Leacock and Bywater could play for England. 

You can't be calling other people out in confession, that's not how it works! 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Jean Antoine Tessier said:

Recent - Mascarell, I was hopeful he'd be brilliant and kept arguing to give him more time to settle!

Also remember getting excited about Esteban Fuertes, didn't work out but for work permit reasons!

Mascarell wasn't bad to be fair. He may not have been as good as was hoped by some (largely due to the Real Madrid tag) but you wouldn't find many better options around. When you're comparing him to Thorne it can make him look worse than he is.

Never rated Paul Trollope then he man marked Cantona out the Wanchope game, bar the goal after half time. Also Christian Daily, thought he'd fall down a drain when he first turned up, only to make millions on him to Blackburn a couple of years later.

Over rated has to be Ravanelli, though some bloke called Hales from Charlton, that my old man told me would be our Kevin Keegan and stuck pictures all over my room scars my childhood memories. Fortunately I was knee high and it's all a blur, but men with dark beards made me shudder for years.

Back in the Phil Brown days. Does anyone remember the 2 young prospects he brought with him. Poole and Holdsworth. Poole made a few starts in net and then never saw him again and Holdsworth had a few appearances and also disappeared. I wonder what came of them.

in seriousness Gianfranco Labarthe Tome. With a name like that I expected big things.

When we signed Igor I read somewhere that he was a striker and the first game he played sweeper i thought what has Smith done, didn't turn out too bad in the end....speaking of Smith, no one wanted him here, no one at all, just Uncle Lionel.

All the players Cox signed with Lionels money i thought would be amazing, but i guess that was just the naivety of youth.?

two for me:

Derek Hales - signed from Charlton where he had been knocking in the goals for fun at something close to a record fee for then - £300,000 or so.  Gave him the benefit of the doubt at first but then realised he wasn't going to make it. I can remember feeling genuinely sad after investing all that hope in him.  We sold him after about 25 games I think and eventually he went back to Charlton where he had a half decent scoring record again.  Made for the phrase 'he never settled'.

And Lee Morris.  I should have known better than to turn to my son (then an impressionable 8 years old) and say 'just watch, this guy's going to make all the difference for us'. 4/5 years, 20 or so games a year, less than 20 goals, £3m. He sure made a difference. To this day I don't know how we persuaded Leicester to take him off our hands. Young Ilkley's never trusted my judgement on a player ever since.

One thing's for sure neither of them would have passed the Mel Morris test of added value

27 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Never rated Paul Trollope then he man marked Cantona out the Wanchope game, bar the goal after half time. Also Christian Daily, thought he'd fall down a drain when he first turned up, only to make millions on him to Blackburn a couple of years later.

Over rated has to be Ravanelli, though some bloke called Hales from Charlton, that my old man told me would be our Kevin Keegan and stuck pictures all over my room scars my childhood memories. Fortunately I was knee high and it's all a blur, but men with dark beards made me shudder for years.

Christian Dailly provides me with my 'remember where you were when' moment. I remember I was on the hill down from Preston Park station in Brighton listening to the radio, off to my GFs when I heard he was being sold for £5.5m. I think I genuinely did LOL, he wasn't a bad player but......

Was excited when we signed Earnshaw... Thought he would bag a load of goals....

If we're talking terrible players I had no faith in. Step forward Simon Webster... Had him on loan from West Ham during the Bald Eagles promotion year, remember him being a donkey at Wolves away thinking WHY

I thought Sammon would be good. Seen how big he is and how fast. Stupidly assumed he could play football

When we signed Priskin on loan I was pretty please to have a well established striker

Was dead against Tom Ince

Not impressed when it was announced we'd got Kuqi in.

22 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

In my naive youth I thought the loan signing of Daniele Daino would be brilliant.

Yep. This lad is going to be huge for us

Archived