The Confessional Box

David

We've all been there, a player signs for Derby which excites you, you highly rate, great signing, tell the missus you're that happy you'll wash the pots tonight and turns out to be a complete flop. 

Or you never rated, League 1 at best, absolutely useless, what are we thinking and went on to prove you wrong?

Time to confess....

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not going to lie Daveo, I thought Cyrus was done! "No way on earth will he gain his confidence back here" I thought, he was utterly abysmal at the end of last season, conference standard, his head had gone. I half expected him to be out of squad scene completely this season. . .

how wrong was I!!! 

It's one of those hard things to really quantify isn't it?

Like, I honestly thought Bailey was a very decent player at this level, and he now warms the bench for Pune City. I liked Sammon, was excited when he signed, thought he gave the side more space to operate, but looking back I can't actually recall him scoring a single goal where it looked like he meant to hit it as he did. I was honestly happy that Bamford didn't start the playoff final, and despite taking his goals well, thought he was a bit pointless. I thought Fielding was a potential England keeper of the future, that's probably the worst of them. 

Well, I was definitely in the pro-Albentosa camp so I guess that's one. Recently though I've tried to be as fair as possible to new signings, in both directions.

Historically I can't really think of any either - Although, and this is a genuine confession as I spent the transfer window defending him, but truthfully I thought Russell was done to be honest. 

I remember getting excited when Junior joined us in 2003. i think I even said he'd be top scorer in the Championship that season.

Didn't quite go to plan. He scored 4 in 30 appearances, did his knee in and we ended up with Manel and Noel Whelan both trying to hit a barn door.

One that sticks in the mind is Jonathan Hunt, he had a spell where he was top notch for Southend and Bham City I really rated him, then he struggled and we picked him up for a couple of hundred k. I remember being fully behind him hoping he'd recover his form. Never did and was shipped out in a swap for Vas Borbokis. 

Scored a cracking over head kick against Boro though. 

I tend to have a romance towards the ones who break through. I was convinced both Miles Addison and Lewin Nyatanga would be massive parts of our decade.

Signings-wise, I was convinced Chris Martin would be a good player, I thought Raul Albentosa would do well too. I still have a man-crush on Johnny Russell, and he fleetingly lives up to expectations.

As for flops, I thought Lee Hendrie would be better than he was, and Laurent Robert for that matter, and Nathan Ellington, and Gary Teale.

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

I tend to have a romance towards the ones who break through. I was convinced both Miles Addison and Lewin Nyatanga would be massive parts of our decade.

Signings-wise, I was convinced Chris Martin would be a good player, I thought Raul Albentosa would do well too. I still have a man-crush on Johnny Russell, and he fleetingly lives up to expectations.

As for flops, I thought Lee Hendrie would be better than he was, and Laurent Robert for that matter, and Nathan Ellington, and Gary Teale.

I'm with you on the ones that break through. I even flirted with the idea of having Nyatanga on my shirt.

I was spectacularly wrong about Cyrus Christie.If he keeps away from avoidable mistakes, he will be worth £4 million by the end of the season. At times on saturday, he looked too good for the Championship. I think that the coaching staff needs to be complimented. As Mel said on the radio, it could save and make us a lot of money.

To be fair, Gary Teale was brilliant during his time under Clough. I'd actually say he goes on the opposite, a player that many people wrote off as being done and completely useless, but managed to make his mark before leaving. I was very critical of him at times as well, but was thoroughly wrong there. Another in that boat was Savage, who looked for all money to be completely done before Clough arrived, though many still debate if he was actually good or just lucky to get gametime. 

Croft, Nyatanga and Addison are definitely on the list of players I thought were good or going to be good. 

I thought Albentosa would take time, but be ultimately great at this level, and to be honest I still think he could have been, but oh well. Best move on from that one. 

Lee Hendrie is an odd one, I thought it was smart business, but never thought he'd be that great, but ultimately he was definitely worse than I thought he'd be. 

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

At one point I thought we'd found a future England international in Addison. Real shame that his career hasn't amounted to anything, I still remember his performances against Newcastle away at CB (0-0) and his goal vs Sheff Wed at home, it was almost Yaya Toure-esque.  

I've got Bailey on the back of a shirt, they were offering free printing at the time so thought why not, even tho I was old enough to know better.

Was the yellow 3rd strip, I hate yellow kits as well. Not sure what I was thinking, it's in a box in the shed now, hoping he becomes a huge hit over in India so I can cash in on eBay

Flops: Frank Fielding, Raul Albentosa, Conor Sammon, Mark O'Brien, Tomasz Cywka 

Proved me wrong: Cyrus Christie, John Brayford, Lee Grant, Shaun Barker

There will be others I'm sure. Just a few examples. Of course, I should note that I never openly criticise or heap praise on players when they first sign because that's useless. But I always have a feeling about every player that comes in or comes through the academy that I tend to keep to myself.

I usually get over-excited about every player we ever sign to be honest, and I'm so often wrong I gave up analysing it years ago.

Over-rated...Mark Lillis. Arthur Cox never failed, picking up good strikers without spending lots, then he spent his biggest fee to date (£200k?) from Man City(?) and I thought for that money, this bloke is going to tear it up with Bob Davison. Then nothing, not a bad player, just never happened for him here. Although Phil Gee owned it that year anyway, so no harm done.

Over-rated...Pereplotkins. Saw him in a friendly and thought he looked a player. I can only apologise.

Over-rated...Ravanelli. Big money, big reputation, great pedigree...what could go wrong? **** me.

Underrated...Robin van der Laan. I thought we were signing a slow cumbersome clogger from Port Vale. We signed an inspiration.

Archived