Super Paul Clement

Inverurie Ram

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, WystonRam said:

Fantastic article. Read it earlier today and was just about to post a link to it here myself! 

One of my favourite parts:

« [Clement] is grateful to have learned from the best. “I was able to see first hand how Carlo operated, from how he worked with the players, dealt with the politics, how he spoke to the media, and it was all invaluable,” he says. “He’d surprise me with how he dealt with things. I used to test myself when we went in at half-time, asking what I would do in certain scenarios and then watch how he addressed them, and he’d often do the complete opposite to my instincts.

It could be when the team had been poor, the attitude not great, and I’d be tempted to tear into them. But he’d be at the back of the room gathering his thoughts, then tapping on the tactics board: ‘This is what I want to see second half … ’ Clear. Simple. Boom. Go out and do it. So calm. »

Think worth just bumping this thread again.....i wonder how many managers in their first job as manager/head coach could boast a first half season as impressive as PC's?

Thing is i still think this Derby team is evolving. Exciting times.

• 2 weeks later...

He made a few mistakes at the start. Baird as captain. Diamond formation experiments etc. but has really grown into the job and has done very well.

Things i like:

had the intelligence to revert to 433 instead of labouring with alternatives for the sake of it.

allowed christie and keogh the opportunity to re-establish themselves - both now playing as well as ever.

cut out the kamikaze defensive errors - second best defensive record in the league

recognised a gap and responded by bringing in kevin phillips

Good interviews - honest, straight, no b.s.

Acted quickly when we lost bryson and hughes - made good signings - butterfield and johnson

Improving the analytical dept - solves the problem of being new to this league and not knowing the opposition

strong character - doesn't get led by the interviewer as saintram noted above

Seems to work well with sam rush and mel morris - no apparent conflicts

isn't mad like billy davies, or weak like paul jewell, or orange like phil brown, or shifty like joh...... 

Is dead straight. 

I liked his interview after the Leeds game. 

He kept getting pressed on questions where agreeing with the interviewer could have been bad for morale - especially with the Shotton/Pearce question.

But I like how he often ignores the question and focuses on what's really at hand. He seems so calm and calculated in his responses - a trait he may have learned from Ancelotti.

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I liked his interview after the Leeds game. 

He kept getting pressed on questions where agreeing with the interviewer could have been bad for morale - especially with the Shotton/Pearce question.

But I like how he often ignores the question and focuses on what's really at hand. He seems so calm and calculated in his responses - a trait he may have learned from Ancelotti.

Your last sentence is absolutely correct. In an interview recently he said at real madrid when the players weren't playing well he used to shout at the players whereas carlo didn't say anything at all because carlo is a calm man. Carlo said he didn't get shouted at by his parents or his teachers when he was younger so carlo doesn't feel it's necessary to shout at players because after all they are professionals, not under 10 kids. I feel that clement has now adapoted this approach.

Absolute consummate professional heard him on Radio Derby after the match, says the right thing for the players knowing he needs them to go and do a job for him regardless how they have just played .

Hope that he really doesn't believe all of it  ,or we are royally screwed.

Its seems resting Thorne, Martin and Ince possibly cost us winning last nights game, we got a point but I would have thought Paul would have gone for 3.

I just hope he can motivate them now for the big game at Boro and to be fair I would be happy with a point there [love the win but realistically a point would be good].

5 minutes ago, toddy said:

Its seems resting Thorne, Martin and Ince possibly cost us winning last nights game, we got a point but I would have thought Paul would have gone for 3.

I just hope he can motivate them now for the big game at Boro and to be fair I would be happy with a point there [love the win but realistically a point would be good].

That's not how I saw it. Leeds scored two goals last night, and only one of them they manufactured themselves. For all their huffing and puffing, they didn't come anywhere near as close as us.

We were completely in control at 1-0 until we scored the goal for them which gave them belief. For a large period of the second half, they looked awestruck (see the amount of yellows) at our possession game without any of the big 3 names we rested.

We drew because of a silly defensive error which gave an in-form team their confidence back, not because of team selection.

5 minutes ago, toddy said:

I thought it was a well calculated risk that if it wasn't for a few mistakes (from regulars first choice players) would have paid off! You bring in a coach of Paul's experience to manage games, he's proving his has the balls to do that!

3 minutes ago, Duracell said:

That's not how I saw it. Leeds scored two goals last night, and only one of them they manufactured themselves. For all their huffing and puffing, they didn't come anywhere near as close as us.

We were completely in control at 1-0 until we scored the goal for them which gave them belief. For a large period of the second half, they looked awestruck (see the amount of yellows) at our possession game without any of the big 3 names we rested.

We drew because of a silly defensive error which gave an in-form team their confidence back, not because of team selection.

We also missed 3 or 4 glorious chances to score in the second half.

21 minutes ago, toddy said:

I'm sure he did go for 3 and had the game not been turned on its head by a certain individual, i think we would have got three points as a result of hendricks superb goal.

a lot of people had been arguing that bent should be given a chance. He was. 

Thorne has been struggling despite some of the gushing praise he receives. We need to be careful with george and give him time to fully recover from two nasty ACL injuries. Very sensible to rest him imo.

Martin and ince were both looking slightly jaded and mentally tired. Both did well when they came on.

Bring on boro.

it will be interesting to see whether Pearce features ahead of Shotton. Thats the only real question mark left. Why does PC seem to favour Shotton over Pearce when he also has Baird to cover right back? Shotton gives everyone the jitters. 

11 minutes ago, RamNut said:

it will be interesting to see whether Pearce features ahead of Shotton. Thats the only real question mark left. Why does PC seem to favour Shotton over Pearce when he also has Baird to cover right back? Shotton gives everyone the jitters. 

Baird can cover left-back as well, while Shotton covers CB and RB. I guess it's about covering all bases, but Baird is the only player in the squad who's fit and can play LB, so he's cover for that position at present.

That's the only explanation I can think of.

3 hours ago, Duracell said:

Not to sure about we where completely in control at 1-0, how many times did we test there keeper until they scored?

Yes, we has lots of possession but mostly in the mid 1/3 of the pitch, we didn't do a lot with the ball until Martin came on, then again once Ince came on. After that we did have a few attempts to score, Johnson, Hendrick etc.

We drew because we couldn't put the ball away when it mattered, we did lack a bit of quality last night. I only hope we up our performance against Boro, as they are a much better side than Leeds.

Archived