Spurs and 8 - 2

irobinson

7-0 at home v Southend in the league cup in '92 I think. We were 1-0 down from first leg. I think Simmo scored a hat trick and a couple direct from corners (I may be wrong).

I remember that game - I was in two minds whether to go and see that or go to the Rockhouse to see Morbid Angel and Moonspell.

Went to the match - never have seen either of those bands...

And we signed their left back soon after.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derby 4 Chelsea 6, 1990 . One of the craziest games I've been to. 3-1 down at halftime, 4-3 up with 10 to go , and then ....... 

That was the turning point for what was already a bad season . Relegated and I don't think we won again until the penultimate game against Southampton, 6-2 ( as mentioned earlier). 

Then again, the 4-4 against Bradford was pretty mad as well ! 

7-0 at home v Southend in the league cup in '92 I think. We were 1-0 down from first leg. I think Simmo scored a hat trick and a couple direct from corners (I may be wrong).

I remember there was much talk in the Ossie end between me and others about whether we could overturn the deficit. Then it took us about 3 minutes or something like that to equalise. 

And Tommy Johnson scored direct from a corner. 

Easter 1957, Rams 7 v Chesterfeld 1, and Dennis Woodhead missed a penalty !

Was in Scotland for the October half term break when we won 8-2 against Spurs. - not sure whether I was more with the score or that Bruce Rioch had got 4 of them. Found out when we got back that that he had not been in his usual no.4 position.

A work colleague's young daughter was friendly with Spurs goalkeeper Pat Jennings family, so usually managed to see him briefly when they played at Derby. He, perhaps understandably, declined that day......  

I remember we were struggling at the time and I was thinking as I was walking to the bbg the old cliche ... Someone is going to cop it ... Maybe today. I timed my walk to the bbg just right... In those days the players all arrived in the bus together and I got a close up view of the Rams legends. And then the 8-2 game, as someone said if not for Jennings in the Spurs goal it would have been well into double figures. What a day. Was hoddle playing for Spurs and I think he scored if I remember rightly. 

I am pretty sure that this was the game where Les green pulled off one of the best saves I have ever seen from a Jimmy Greaves shot at the Ossie end. Looked a goal all the way until Green leapt to his left and not only saved it, but caught the ruddy thing!!

tranmere 6-2 in the run in in the promotion year under jim smith ! playing with the basis if a great team that went on to punch above its weight in the premiership with the big boys !!! easy to forget what a great job smith and maclaren did back then and Lionel of course !!

I am pretty sure that this was the game where Les green pulled off one of the best saves I have ever seen from a Jimmy Greaves shot at the Ossie end. Looked a goal all the way until Green leapt to his left and not only saved it, but caught the ruddy thing!!

sorry, Les Green and Jimmy Greaves were long gone before this game. I remember it well as a school boy from Birmingham who had to go back on the train with a lot of not very happy spurs fans. I was absolutely bricking it, whilst they got the fire axe and started to chop up the train and Chuck stuff out of the windows at each station we went through. As soon as we arrived at Birmingham New Street, I jumped off the still moving train, only to be faced with 100's of united fans getting off the train from Bristol. It was mayhem, the good old days, eh? 

January 1974 - 3rd round of the FA Cup. We played out a 0-0 draw at the BBG and while I was at school the following midweek, we won 6-1 at their place in the replay. #oldfart !!!!

that was Boston wasn't it?  I was in the Ossie end when they had a free header which beat CB only to take a deflection off a sod of earth (I was going to say Clod before I realised a dead piece of grass was a more effective defender) and hit the post, a reverse coffee cup moment.  Ah, they don't do pitches like that anymore

that was Boston wasn't it?  I was in the Ossie end when they had a free header which beat CB only to take a deflection off a sod of earth (I was going to say Clod before I realised a dead piece of grass was a more effective defender) and hit the post, a reverse coffee cup moment.  Ah, they don't do pitches like that anymore

Yes it was Boston. Looked like a giant killing was on the cards and I remember getting a hard time off my school pals as I lived in Durham in those days.

It might have been the same clump that Charlie Hurley scored an OG off past Jimmy Montgomery. The ball took a 90 degree detour, and both players sank to their knees in disbelief.

A colleague at work used to love telling the story where a Boston fan turned to her and said "I grow spuds in a better field than that!"

sorry, Les Green and Jimmy Greaves were long gone before this game. I remember it well as a school boy from Birmingham who had to go back on the train with a lot of not very happy spurs fans. I was absolutely bricking it, whilst they got the fire axe and started to chop up the train and Chuck stuff out of the windows at each station we went through. As soon as we arrived at Birmingham New Street, I jumped off the still moving train, only to be faced with 100's of united fans getting off the train from Bristol. It was mayhem, the good old days, eh? 

You are correct. It was the 5-0 stuffing of Spurs a little bit earlier. I have just watched it again on some dodgy black & white footage. Marvelous shot by Greaves, topped by the save from Green.

Derby 4 Chelsea 6, 1990 . One of the craziest games I've been to. 3-1 down at halftime, 4-3 up with 10 to go , and then ....... 

That was the turning point for what was already a bad season . Relegated and I don't think we won again until the penultimate game against Southampton, 6-2 ( as mentioned earlier). 

Then again, the 4-4 against Bradford was pretty mad as well ! 

for the Chelsea game, my Auntie took a Polaroid photo of the tv where it showed me running on the pitch at corner of the c stand... I still have it with my young writing at the bottom saying "me on the pitch against Chelsea" ha ha. 

Bradford was a great day out, first time I had ever had a chicken balti pie. 

I remember a Simod Cup ( oh , what a competition that wasn't !)  at West Brom in '89 where we won 5-0 and scored 4 in about 7 minutes . 

We were stood amongst the 300 Rams fans in a 'huge' attendance of about 3500, expecting every attack to bring another goal ! I've seen it on YouTube and I'll try and post it if I can find it again ( the great days of Deano and Goddard!) 

Does 10 goals in a two successive games count? Derby 5 Luton 0 Roger Davies all 5 followed by Burnley 2 Derby 5 on the year we won the League for the 2nd time 1975

Archived