Spurs and 8 - 2

irobinson

Derby 4 Chelsea 6, 1990 . One of the craziest games I've been to. 3-1 down at halftime, 4-3 up with 10 to go , and then ....... 

That was the turning point for what was already a bad season . Relegated and I don't think we won again until the penultimate game against Southampton, 6-2 ( as mentioned earlier). 

Then again, the 4-4 against Bradford was pretty mad as well ! 

I remember this game, they had an up and coming star called Graeme Le Saux and I think he played left wing back then.

The 4-4 v Bradford was unbelievable, 3 penalties for us if I remember correctly.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember this game, they had an up and coming star called Graeme Le Saux and I think he played left wing back then.

The 4-4 v Bradford was unbelievable, 3 penalties for us if I remember correctly.

Yep, three penalties to us . Craig Burley scored two and missed the 3rd for us to have gone 5-4 up. 

They had a penalty as well. We scored in the first 20 seconds , had Delap sent off in the 1st half and the game could really have finished 8-8 ! 

The most bizarre away game that I'd been to until Huddersfield last season. 

"Nor can I - but Billy Hodgson crossing for Eddie Thomas to lay the ball off for Ian Buxton to blast goalwards, hitting the top deck of the Ozzy End stand- that's another matter."

Had forgotten that one Eddie, but did you see Ian Buxton hit one on the volley, putting it out of the ground over the Normanton Stand - and from inside the six yard box!

Or Norman Neilson putting it out over the Main Stand twice in the same match?!

"Nor can I - but Billy Hodgson crossing for Eddie Thomas to lay the ball off for Ian Buxton to blast goalwards, hitting the top deck of the Ozzy End stand- that's another matter."

Had forgotten that one Eddie, but did you see Ian Buxton hit one on the volley, putting it out of the ground over the Normanton Stand - and from inside the six yard box!

Or Norman Neilson putting it out over the Main Stand twice in the same match?!

I can remember the one over the Normanton Stand - right near the end of a game we were winning - I think it was in 1966 or 1967 and Buxton went for the spectacular finish into the roof of the net - or so he thought. Norman Nielson was a bit before my time - I was living in Malaya when he was at Derby.

I went to the Spurs game (8-2) unbelievable performance by Derby .

I can remember standing in the popside on the corner next to the Normanton end just in front of the floodlight pylon when some Spurs fans who had infiltrated made themselves known during the 2nd 1/2 causing a few scuffles before they were removed.

Happy memories !.The 70`s were great!

I was also stood there with my dad - it was one of my first games. 

We were definitely stood amongst Spurs fans but didn't the away fans used to get put there for a while ? It seemed to happen most games. Don't remember too much bother until a Middlesbrough game. 

I also remember standing there for Roy McFarlands testimonial against FC Bruges ( I think ). Derby scored & I ran head first into one of those horizontal 'leaning' bars - ouch

I was also stood there with my dad - it was one of my first games. 

We were definitely stood amongst Spurs fans but didn't the away fans used to get put there for a while ? It seemed to happen most games. Don't remember too much bother until a Middlesbrough game. 

I also remember standing there for Roy McFarlands testimonial against FC Bruges ( I think ). Derby scored & I ran head first into one of those horizontal 'leaning' bars - ouch

I think that side of the Popside was the Vulcan side and the other was the Columbo side .When proper segregation came into force the away fans were put in a fenced in section on the Columbo part of the terracing.Opposing fans used to try and take over the home end occasionally I think was just a half - hearted effort by around 20 would be hooligans.

Archived