Spurs and 8 - 2

irobinson

A taxi driver in  London got chatting with me tonight - and said he wouldn't have  picked me up if he had known I was a Derby fan!

Said in the 70's Derby beat his beloved Spurs 8-2 at Baseball Ground - I was at that match - he said it made him cry - and realised what a  brilliant Rams team we were

He asked me if we had any other scores like that - all I could remember was the 12 nil beating of Finn Harps - think that was our record! I was at that game also!!

Anyone else got a memory of a massive 6 plus!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I havent been following the rams as long as you.

But I remember a 6-0 in the league against man City Mark Wright scored twice from corners i think. (around 1989/1990)

I remember this one the most, because Gary Micklewhite lived next door to my friend and he got lots of offers for free tickets but he never took them, because my friend and his dad were Man City fans. My friend went to the BBG for thr first time for this fixture only to see his team lose 6-0 hahahaha.

We also beat Sunderland 6-0 or 6-1 same season in he league cup Mick harford hattrick.

I think I also remember when we were already down with a young team, whilst Maxwell starved us of any funds i think we beat southampton 6-2 on the final day, paul williams (josi) hattrick.

We were winning 3-2 at half time, I believe. Rioch, I seem to recall, played a blinder, and he bagged 4. Also, it it hadn't have been for Jennings, it could have been a dozen.

I havent been following the rams as long as you.

But I remember a 6-0 in the league against man City Mark Wright scored twice from corners i think. (around 1989/1990)

I remember this one the most, because Gary Micklewhite lived next door to my friend and he got lots of offers for free tickets but he never took them, because my friend and his dad were Man City fans. My friend went to the BBG for thr first time for this fixture only to see his team lose 6-0 hahahaha.

We also beat Sunderland 6-0 or 6-1 same season in he league cup Mick harford hattrick.

I think I also remember when we were already down with a young team, whilst Maxwell starved us of any funds i think we beat southampton 6-2 on the final day, paul williams (josi) hattrick.

We beat Southampton 6-2 in 1973 as well - Hector hat-trick.

The game you are on about, we had Shilts, Deano and Ooooh Mark Wright playing

:(We were winning 3-2 at half time, I believe. Rioch, I seem to recall, played a blinder, and he bagged 4. Also, it it hadn't have been for Jennings, it could have been a dozen.

didn't we have an injury crisis and he was a makeshift cf?

last ever game I took my dad to at bbg

If my memory serves me right, did we not beat Lincoln in the old third division 7-0 or 7-1 ,under Arthur Cox, in 1985, I can remember Chandler had a storming game,think it was the season we got promoted to the old second division,was about 13 or 14 years old at the time,and enjoyed watching two promotions in two years,and watching one of my all time favourite Rams players Bobby Davison,some great memory's of the BBG.

Played for my cubs' team in the morning and we lost 9-2. Went to the BBG in the afternoon and we won 8-2!

We'd really been struggling (so it seemed - in hindsight it's all relative) and you could tell Mackay was a relieved and proud manager. On Radio 2 (the then 5-Live equivalent) or Radio Derby in the car on the way home I remember him saying "we'd have beaten anyone in the world today".

We were struggling similarly for the Finn Harps win too. And I remember the 7-0 over Lincoln (pretty sure we didn't give them a consolation but haven't looked it up). I think I may have been at the 5-0 against Spurs that a lot of people talk about, but I was a bit too young to remember properly. And didn't we do Arsenal 5-0 too? Thinking about it though, we also had the brilliant 3-5 comeback win away at Spurs in the Cup where Roger Davies scored the extra time winners. Good to think we've a tradition of whipping the spuds after they stole our colours.

Wouldn't it be great to really tank someone this season? Let loose and tear them apart. Even better if it's the gumps!

Not a 6+ but we had really arrived when we gave Liverpool a 4-0 stuffing and the great Bill Shankly afterwards said "there is no shame in losing to this Derby Co side".

The goals featured as the intro to 'Star Soccer' for years.

I remember we were struggling at the time and I was thinking as I was walking to the bbg the old cliche ... Someone is going to cop it ... Maybe today. I timed my walk to the bbg just right... In those days the players all arrived in the bus together and I got a close up view of the Rams legends. And then the 8-2 game, as someone said if not for Jennings in the Spurs goal it would have been well into double figures. What a day. Was hoddle playing for Spurs and I think he scored if I remember rightly. 

Archived