• Last Reply

Slightly weird team from me:

Carson

Christie          Keogh       Shackell    Forsyth

Thorne    Hendrick 

Russell               Ince                Johnson

Bent

you weirdo

Given the amount of games missed by Bryson and Thorne I fear they might be heading for the "career blighted by injury" tag. Hope I'm not being too pessimistic but it seems to be one thing after another with both.

Interestingly I think this is more likely to be true of Bryson than Thorne. Thorne plays a very physical role in a very physical league and has had pretty much a year out, he's going to be close to an every other game player for a good few months but then I think he'll be fine. 

Bryson seems to get more recurrences of similar injuries.

Don't understand people calling for Martin to be dropped after one bad game...ffs he's integral to how we play! I'd much rather have Bent come on last 20 mins and buzz around tired defences which Martin simply wouldn't do! 

My team would be;

Carson

Christie---Keogh---Shackell---Warnock

Johnson------Thorne        

Ince------------Martin-------------Russell

Bent

If Thorne isn't fit then swap him with Hendrick. I remember a couple of times last season Martin played just behind Bent (Chesterfield in the cup?) and it seemed to work quite well

Don't understand people calling for Martin to be dropped after one bad game...ffs he's integral to how we play! I'd much rather have Bent come on last 20 mins and buzz around tired defences which Martin simply wouldn't do! 

My team would be;

Carson

Johnson------Thorne        

Bent

If Thorne isn't fit then swap him with Hendrick. I remember a couple of times last season Martin played just behind Bent (Chesterfield in the cup?) and it seemed to work quite well

I'm gonna be controversial and suggest this is the game that Weimann gets a start in. Maybe ahead of Ince, with Russell on the right. At some point we need to get Weimann up to speed.

Martin can't go from our most important player this century to dropped just because he didn't score in the last game.

Likewise, Hendrick. Yes he had a good few minutes but how long since we could say that?

There's been far too much tinkering with the line up this season, let's get it settled (and yes some of it was down to injuries I know). For me then:

Carson

Christie---Keogh---Shackell---Forsyth

Thorne (if fit, if not Baird)        

Johnson------Butterfield        

So potentially the only change is the more attack minded Forsyth in for Warnock as we are at home

My team would be;

Carson

Johnson------Thorne        

Bent

Im not so sure he is anymore, he used to be but I think we are trying to play in a way that isnt 100% designed around Martin like it used to be. He is still an excellent player and incredibly useful striker who is fantastic at keeping the ball, but I'd be interested in seeing how we play without him and I'd especially like to see the damage that the pace of Bent and Weimann together could cause.

I'd make some changes, overall we were poor against MK Dons

Carson

Christie - Keogh - Shackell - Forsyth

Thorne

Johnson - Hendrick

Ince

Bent - Weimann

Or maybe in a 4-2-3-1 with Weimann behind bent. 

I just feel that the three central midfielders would be able to create chance after chance for the front three. Forsyth over Warnock simply because with a diamond you need quick and athletic full backs and I just dont think Warnock has it in him.

Im not so sure he is anymore, he used to be but I think we are trying to play in a way that isnt 100% designed around Martin like it used to be. He is still an excellent player and incredibly useful striker who is fantastic at keeping the ball, but I'd be interested in seeing how we play without him and I'd especially like to see the damage that the pace of Bent and Weimann together could cause.

I'd make some changes, overall we were poor against MK Dons

Carson

Christie - Keogh - Shackell - Forsyth

Thorne

Johnson - Hendrick

Ince

Bent - Weimann

Or maybe in a 4-2-3-1 with Weimann behind bent. 

I just feel that the three central midfielders would be able to create chance after chance for the front three. Forsyth over Warnock simply because with a diamond you need quick and athletic full backs and I just dont think Warnock has it in him.

The central midfield 3 weren't right against MK. They kept tripping over each other. No runners.

Whether we're trying or not is a bit debateable but we certainly didn't play in a way that revolved around Martin. His demeanour is also not great at present - if he goes to ground early doors and the ref doesn't give it, then his head is dropping and he is looking increasingly mardy.

And another point - both my neighbour and I on Saturday were of the view that we should go back to leaving someone up when we're defending a corner.

I think the above could be better - and even more effective if Ince/Bent/Weimann form a fluid formation so we can switch easily between 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1. There were times on Saturday when all the front 3 seemed to come inside when one of our fullbacks had possession which meant they lacked options.

much for PC to work on.

The central midfield 3 weren't right against MK. They kept tripping over each other. No runners.

Whether we're trying or not is a bit debateable but we certainly didn't play in a way that revolved around Martin. His demeanour is also not great at present - if he goes to ground early doors and the ref doesn't give it, then his head is dropping and he is looking increasingly mardy.

And another point - both my neighbour and I on Saturday were of the view that we should go back to leaving someone up when we're defending a corner.

I think the above could be better - and even more effective if Ince/Bent/Weimann form a fluid formation so we can switch easily between 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1. There were times on Saturday when all the front 3 seemed to come inside when one of our fullbacks had possession which meant they lacked options.

much for PC to work on.

Its just worth a try, teams will expect and prepare for us to play with Martin up front receiving the ball. Changing it up can only keep them guessing.

Quote of the day for Lee Carsley

Carsley: "I don't want the job permanently. It certainly wasn't something I put my hand up for. I want to be a coach." #brentfordfc

Also from after the match this evening

Carsley also admits it wi be difficult to return to his old role as development coach. Expects to leave in the summer #brentfordfc

From Jacob Murtagh on twitter, journalist from the mirror.

Quote of the day for Lee Carsley

Carsley: "I don't want the job permanently. It certainly wasn't something I put my hand up for. I want to be a coach." #brentfordfc

Also from after the match this evening

Carsley also admits it wi be difficult to return to his old role as development coach. Expects to leave in the summer #brentfordfc

From Jacob Murtagh on twitter, journalist from the mirror.

What the point to put him in charge to end of the season if he's not interested? Strange! 

Archived