Derby City v Brentford

Chris Mills

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing for me about PC and the new players we have is that it is very difficult to name a starting 11 and a formation with any degree if certainty. I have a mouth and a bunch of opinions like most of us on here but it is interesting to go from the "no plan B " era to

"woah .. What should we do ? " ... Apart from a paucity of wide players we have an embarrassment of riches. Musings from me are ... Not seen best of butters yet, there isn't a natural/ideal set up. Good news is that the opposition is guessing, bad news is we are still thinking about individuals rather than a team. Dead honest I don't have a first team in my head. Want to see George .. Always. Along with Shacks and Keogh who look so much more solid than any pair in recent times but after that .. Dunno ! Attack isn't fizzing and that is my real concern. Is that issue down to conservative midfield or lack lustre front men ?

The team picks itself.Those that don't make the start will be on the subs bench

3 of them will probably get on sooner or later.So here we are:-

Carson Christie Keogh Shackell Warnock Ince Hendrick Johnson Thorne  Martin Bent.

Subs: Grant Forsythe Baird Weimann Russell Butterfield. Its the team that finished

last game except Martin who has to play because he is our best player.Russell needs

a rest but can do well against a tired defence ditto Weismann.No arguments.

The team picks itself.Those that don't make the start will be on the subs bench

3 of them will probably get on sooner or later.So here we are:-

Carson Christie Keogh Shackell Warnock Ince Hendrick Johnson Thorne  Martin Bent.

Subs: Grant Forsythe Baird Weimann Russell Butterfield. Its the team that finished

last game except Martin who has to play because he is our best player.Russell needs

a rest but can do well against a tired defence ditto Weismann.No arguments.

I'll argue. Maybe true the last couple of seasons but not this so far. He looks quite out of sorts. He should be as accountable as anyone else in the team who isn't performing. I wouldn't argue against him being dropped and another combination tried for Saturday.

I'd be happy to see,

Carson

C             K                   S              F

Hanson            Johnson

Hendrick                     Russell

Martin

Bent

For Saturday:

Carson

Baird (c) Keogh Shackell Forsyth

Thorne Hendrick

Ince Johnson Weimann

Bent 

Subs:

Grant

Christie

Warnock

Hanson

Butterfield

Russell

Martin

Reasoning:  Christie deserved his spot for MK Dons, but wasn't outstanding so you keep the captain in the side.

Hendrick changed the game in the last 20 minutes last time out so probably deserves a recall, but needs to back it up with another performance to keep the shirt.

As much as Russell has been putting in a shift recently, Weimann needs to be blended into the team sometime and after playing reasonably well when he came on against MK Dons, now is probably the time.

Martin needs reminding that he too must play well or face time on the sidelines, and Bent did get his goal on Saturday so can do no more to force his way into the side.

I'll argue. Maybe true the last couple of seasons but not this so far. He looks quite out of sorts. He should be as accountable as anyone else in the team who isn't performing. I wouldn't argue against him being dropped and another combination tried for Saturday.

Agree. Love the guy and I'm sure he'll get around 20 again but on Saturday his contribution was abysmal. 

Off the ball he strolled back into shape so slowly that MK cut straight to our half. I know Clement likes to drop deep quickly off the ball and we don't really press often in our opponents half but Martin wasn't even falling in line with that. If you're going to stay up there then at least try to cut the most dangerous passing lanes. He didn't. 

On the ball he was a donkey. Going down easy and winning free kicks has helped us loads. But c'mon, don't go to the ground when you aren't even touched or its more useful to stay up. 

I'm not calling for his head but there's lads that either haven't had a chance to play up front or lads that haven't had enough time to get any momentum up front. He can't afford a game anywhere near as poor as that last one.

Quote of the day for Lee Carsley

Carsley: "I don't want the job permanently. It certainly wasn't something I put my hand up for. I want to be a coach." #brentfordfc

Also from after the match this evening

Carsley also admits it wi be difficult to return to his old role as development coach. Expects to leave in the summer #brentfordfc

From Jacob Murtagh on twitter, journalist from the mirror.

It's  in the football rules that matches such as this one go to Brentford with the ex player new manager first game, in a crisis, loads of injuries ect Carsley keeps them up, accepts the job then starts poorly next season and leaves. 

Seeking the elusive first home win, I think we'll see:

Carson

Christie   Keogh   Shackell   Warnock

Baird   Thorne

Hendrick          Johnson

Ince  

Martin

Subs: Grant, Butterfield, Russell, Bent, Weimann, Forsyth, Shotton

I'd prefer to play one central defensive midfielder and make room for Bent up front, probably with Martin at the tip of the diamond.

It's  in the football rules that matches such as this one go to Brentford with the ex player new manager first game, in a crisis, loads of injuries ect Carsley keeps them up, accepts the job then starts poorly next season and leaves. 

we are doomed, not only the curse of the returning player but the nearly all new managers start with a bang, 

Martin can't go from our most important player this century to dropped just because he didn't score in the last game.

Likewise, Hendrick. Yes he had a good few minutes but how long since we could say that?

There's been far too much tinkering with the line up this season, let's get it settled (and yes some of it was down to injuries I know). For me then:

Carson

Christie---Keogh---Shackell---Forsyth

Thorne (if fit, if not Baird)        

Johnson------Butterfield        

Ince------------Martin-------------Russell

So potentially the only change is the more attack minded Forsyth in for Warnock as we are at home

Don't think it will happen anyway, but if it did it wouldn't be because Martin didn't score in last game. It would be because (as sometime captain too) his performances in general haven't been as good as last season and his body language is poor, AND then in that last game he was terrible I thought. He was giving away fouls/offsides and his touch and hold up play were shocking. If I were Bent and I didn't get a start now I really think I would have much more cause for complaint than Martin being told he's being rested for a game. Sure he'll be back as good as ever and I love him as a player but don't think he can moan if he gets rotated like most of the other players after that performance.

PistoldPete2

Hoping for our strongest squad yet this season... Thorne and ince fit would be great. Hope we can get our first home win.... Brentford still have some good players tho don't they?

Hilarious at some level that there is so much uncertainty about who to pick.as a first eleven. I can see merit in all the suggestions. basically we need players to up their game. I guess that some players in essence are not playing their natural game.

Hilarious at some level that there is so much uncertainty about who to pick.as a first eleven. I can see merit in all the suggestions. basically we need players to up their game. I guess that some players in essence are not playing their natural game.

Right...This is IT:

..........................................Carson............................................

Christie................Keogh........................Shackell...............Forsyth

...........................................Thorne..............................................

......................Butterfield.......................Johnson................................

Ince.....................................Martin......................................Russell

Subs: Grant - Bent - Hendrick - Baird - Pearson - Warnock - Weimann.

Martin knows he has been rubbish and this means he has until half time to show what he can do. Christie knows he has to be consistent or he is out. Forsyth knows he has to perform or he is out. Strong motivated team, strong motivated bench.

Right...This is IT:

..........................................Carson............................................

Christie................Keogh........................Shackell...............Forsyth

...........................................Thorne..............................................

......................Butterfield.......................Johnson................................

Ince.....................................Martin......................................Russell

Subs: Grant - Bent - Hendrick - Baird - Pearson - Warnock - Weimann.

Martin knows he has been rubbish and this means he has until half time to show what he can do. Christie knows he has to be consistent or he is out. Forsyth knows he has to perform or he is out. Strong motivated team, strong motivated bench.

I agree with you, TSP, despite Pearce (Pearson) not being the consensus view.:cool: The Derby players need to realise that producing the right amount of effort is the very first level.Attitude should be excellent even if you are playing badly. Ince played much better when more central so try to accommodate that. It seems pointless playing Martin in a role where he has no runners or does not get the ball. 

Archived