Derby v Burnley

Chris Mills

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was watching at the pub today.

My thoughts are here:

http://viewfromtheweststand.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/derby-0-burnley-0.html

Not mentioned in the article, but I've seen a few people ask why Clement didn't bring Bent on. I don't think he felt comfortable at the idea of us going down to 2 in the centre of midfield, especially against a team like Burnley who work so hard in midfield.

He's just being a little cautious IMO. We will batter a team one of these days, doesnt matter if it's home or away. It's so much easier away from home when teams have to attack us and leave a bit of space to exploit.

Carson 6 - what he had to deal with did well, missed some opportunities to set Wiemann free from long kicks, though whether Andy could have dealt with them is another matter. 

Christie 6.5 - saw a lot of the ball going forward, didn't do that much with it though.

Keogh 7 - yet another v.good performance from Crazy Horse, felt he should have done better from a header though. 

Shackell 5 - decent defender, but his inability to pick a pass, even when it must be obvious is concerning, to say the least.

Fozzy 6 - beastly at the back, never worried when he's one on one, I know he's got it covered, short passing seems to have improved at the same time his crosses have become meh, wouldn't swap him for anyone else in this division.

Thorne 6 - steady game from GT, needs a much better song IMO.

Butterfield 5 - neat, tidy yet fairly ineffective today, there's a good player in there for sure, but didn't really impact today.

Johnson 6.5 - good home debut without looking that likely to turn it into a great one, impressed with his passing though.

Russell 6 - saw lots of the ball, ran around a lot, some good dead balls in, but a few more poor balls than good. Also noted that for such a hard worker, I always felt Burnleys threat was down that side, with Christie exposed to 2 on 1 situations a lot more than Fozzy on the opposite flank.

Wiemann 5 - incredible work rate, but looks some way shy of the necessary quality to play the position asked of him tonight, especially it we're going to play like he's a 6"3' striker and float crosses into his part of the pitch. As a strike partner to Martin in a 2 up top maybe more effective, as shown pre season.

Martin 5 - not at the races at all 1st half, improved 2nd slightly, for all our investment no closer to finding a way to play without him, needs to happen for his sake as much as ours, he can't always be on top form and carry the team, will need a rest at some point.

The good:

• I was so pleased to see us pressing high up the pitch and pressurizing Burnley into hoofing long balls out of defence that we would more often that not win back.
  • Christie got forward and looked far more confident.
  • We were leaking goals at a terrifying rate towards the end of last season and that's been stopped.

The bad

• We could have played for a week and would never have scored.
  • Christie's crosses were floated in, with no intent, pace or whip
  • Johnny's set pieces were largely terrible
  • Not bringing Bent off the bench is perverse

It's really important to keep clean sheets and that's two in a row. We do give chances and were a little lucky not to be punished, but it's great to see a couple of clean sheets (each woth 2.5 goals on average, apparently). Obviously we missed Ince's guile.

I like being a team that dominates possession, so I'm pleased we're doing that, but we don't half need to improve our creativity in the final third. Everyone seems to be playing as though they're on a leash and not taking risks or trying something special or different..

Glad to see all the recent love for crazy eyes/horse/person. He's definitely benefitting from not being captain and also from having Shackell next to him. Still feel there's always a major boo boo waiting inside him trying to get out though. But we'll forgive if he keeps putting in performances like tonight. I've always thought a good centre back pairing should be one nutcase and one footballer. By jove, I think we've got it chaps!

Carson 6  - a bit shaky 

christie 7 - end product ?

forsyth 6 - see above

shackell 6 - his worst game

keogh 9 - like you say

thorne 6 - had johnson treading on his toes

johnson 8 - move higher up the pitch

butterfield 7 - tidy but couldn't hit a barn door

Russell - 6 better on the left 

martin 5 - isolated

weimann 6 - rather have ward?

overall - decent performance but similar to the Leeds game. 

The good:

• I was so pleased to see us pressing high up the pitch and pressurizing Burnley into hoofing long balls out of defence that we would more often that not win back.
  • We were leaking goals at a terrifying rate towards the end of last season and that's been stopped.

The bad

It's really important to keep clean sheets and that's two in a row. We do give chances and were a little lucky not to be punished, but it's great to see a couple of clean sheets (each woth 2.5 goals on average, apparently). Obviously we missed Ince's guile.

I like being a team that dominates possession, so I'm pleased we're doing that, but we don't half need to improve our creativity in the final third. Everyone seems to be playing as though they're on a leash and not taking risks or trying something special or different..

We are not making the best use of Butterfield and Johnson by playing them as part of 

a 3 man midfield.

They look reluctant to go forward in case the move breaks down.

Whilst our wide men are being so ineffective we should put Hendrick in, play 4-4-2  and allow our two expensive stars to show what we bought them for.

We needed to up the tempo when attacking last night., to often did we hold up play and allow their 2 banks of 4 (& sometimes banks of 5) to organise themselves.

Something else that surprised me was just how often our widemen passed on the responsibility and opportunities to put a cross in. Preferring to let the fullbacks cross the ball showed a serious lack of confidence from JR & AW for me personally. 

Did anyone else notice how when a goal kick was to be taken we reverted back to under 9's and all moved to one side of the pitch instead of trying to stretch their defence? 

Keogh did play well, especially with the ball and Thorne marked out. But one horrendous situation where he left Vokes totally unmarked showed that his concentration just won't last whole game.

Overall good game for us, loved it when we gave high pressure. At the same time, we got bit lucky that Gray had to be taken off. He was a threat every time he had ball.

The good:

The bad

God there's some girls on here. It's not even October yet. New manager, new players, new style. IT. WILL. TAKE. TIME. I'm delighted we're only 1 point off the play offs at this stage, and I certainly would of taken that in July.. I can see serious potential in this team. 

Really enjoyed the game today. Two excellent defences. Some may crave free flowing attacking football, with end to end drama, but me being old fashioned, really enjoyed that. Back 4 excellent 

anyone want to comment on the 2-3 times carson got the ball, with weimann clearly in the better position, clearly calling for carson to kick the ball down the pitch and further up the pitch, but he slows it down and waits for russell to start running before attempting to pass it to him and not weimann?

Archived