Derby v Burnley

Chris Mills

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a shame Keogh can't head the ball.

He gets into good positions but can't get his timing right on the header , both in attack and defence.

If he had headed the ball at the near post he would have scored.

Shame is that it hit him on the shoulder. 

He was great on the ground though.

This time taking is one of those myths in football I've never understood. Neither has Koeman last season, Ranieri this one etc. etc. Just an poor excuse if things don't start well.

And I'm just criticizing this particular "time-to-gel"-stuff, I'm pretty happy with our start so far. Like you said, good game last night

It's no myth, some teams gel instantly as you have mentioned, others take longer. Fans lack of paitence is no myth either

What I found disappointing last night was when the ball was whipped in from right to left nobody was attacking the back post, known as POMO - the position of maximum opportunity. It's pretty basic. We had the same issue with Ibe last season.

Russell always hits the POMO regardless of which side he is playing on and you can see what success this has brought him, not only this season but a few of his goals last season too.

We need to get that sorted!

That was the first match I've seen this season, so these are my plastic half-thoughts:

Carson - why boot it so often?

Christie - he was targeted by Burnley and survived the pressure, well done. Going forward he lacked the final ball like everybody else.

Keogh - in possession, great: he can pass it or beat a man and knows when to do which. Still lapses in defence.

Shackell - terrified of passing!

Forsyth - generally defended well (but where was he when Shackell came charging out and let Boyd in?), generally did everything well except cross.

Thorne - no doubts. Took the ball under pressure and shifted it, passed sweetly.

Johnson - same as Thorne. Responsible for many of the times when we looked most lively.

Butterfield - slow, and his passing was inaccurate. Hendrick was better. Hughes need have no fears.

Martin - did ok with what he got. We know what he needs - more balls into him and people close to him. He got more of that last night but he was also surrounded by Burnley defenders who did well.

Russell - pretty much a Russell type performance, plenty of good stuff and all running action, plenty of final balls lacking the quality.

Weimann - ran and ran but barely got the ball under control.

Weimann I really am struggling to see what he brings to the team. I cant believe Bent didn't get on the pitch last night, I still feel Clement was more than happy take the point instead of being brave and go for the win by making an attacking substitution, it was a game there to be won and every home game thus far has been the same. Hopefully Bryson will get fit soon so a midfield player may actually get in the box and make a run in behind martin

Very proud of our team tonight, thought they fought hard, won every 50/50 and even won the 25/75 s , and the passing was superb the defending excellent ... Obviously we are missing Bryson and Hughes for their clever attacking runs and vision and we clearly need to work on our final ball and when to take a shot and when not to - some of those decisions were pretty bad and low percentage. Also noticed that we would create a menacing situation then pass back and out of danger too much. But today showed why PC is light years ahead of our recent managers in creating a team that oozes defensive strength and controls a game start to finish. Excited for the games to come !

Weimann I really am struggling to see what he brings to the team. I cant believe Bent didn't get on the pitch last night, I still feel Clement was more than happy take the point instead of being brave and go for the win by making an attacking substitution, it was a game there to be won and every home game thus far has been the same. Hopefully Bryson will get fit soon so a midfield player may actually get in the box and make a run in behind martin

I wonder if tactics are taking precedence over individual flair and ideas at the moment. Doing something spontaneous is what makes football exciting for players and fans. Maclaren's style was thrilling but the defenders were often out of position. Clement has plugged the defence but we are now very plain to watch. At times, I was bored! Will Hughes is £15 million quid's worth, surely. ps if you were not bored at times, it does not mean that I could not be bored at times, now does it?

A good performance that only lacked an end-product. Much the better of the two sides, and the only one looking to win the game. 

Carson - Had little to do. 6. 

Christie - Great performance defensively and linked well with JR and JB down the wing but hit and miss with his decision making and most of his crosses lacked purpose. Good game though. 8. 

Keogh - Just as good as he was at Reading, if not better. There still looks a mistake in him, but wonderfully solid for the most part and brought play out from the back with ease a number of times. Went close with the header where I think he'd mis-timed his run, arrived a fraction too early. 8. 

Shackell - Ponderous in possession, sometimes sloppy, not as good as last week. 6. 

Forsyth - Defended well enough I suppose, but offered very little the other way as our left hand side (second half especially) was redundant in an attacking sense. 6. 

Thorne - Iffy first ten minutes but grew well into the game and was a platform from where most of our attacks stemmed. Tired badly, surprised he wasn't withdrawn earlier. 7. 

Johnson - Some decent passing first half, worked hard throughout but didn't get involved enough in the second half for my liking. 6. 

Butterfield - Did Martin's running for him, looks a terrific worker and always wants the ball. Unfortunately not a good night for him in terms of his shooting but was still disappointed to see him subbed off again. 7. 

Russell - Worked hard as always, but another whose final ball was lacking. I think he and JB linked well together, but I'd have preferred to see him on the left. 7. 

Weimann - Anonymous really, I forgot he was on the pitch. Looks a striker playing out wide to me. Can't fault his effort and to be fair the left hand side was ignored a lot. 5. 

Martin - Poor in large parts I'm afraid, but in fairness he was given little service. Entitled to an off day/night. 5. 

Hendrick - Gave the ball away a handful of times once introduced. 5. 

Hanson - Energetic, busy player, looking forward to seeing more of him. 6. 

Given the way the game worked out I’m very happy with the point.  My view of the game was that it was over as a contest after 20 odd minutes when Gray picked up his injury, once that happened our attacking gameplan went out the window and we adjusted our target to a draw.

It was as I said before, the game came around too early for us but we could have made a game of it with Gray putting in 90 minutes.  We could operate without a competitive midfield if our attack and defence are at 100% and we could probably operate without a competitive attack if our midfield and defence were at 100%.  Once Gray went off we were at 50% in attack and midfield.  Hennings was the wrong sub for us if we wanted to go for a win because he has no pace, Long would have been the better option there but I can see why Dyche didn’t take the risk.

Burnley have probably got the one of the best midfields in the championship and we absolutely bossed then tonight without Hughes and a half fit Thorne. 

Positives :

• back four 
  • last fifteen minutes (prompted by the successful substitutions)
  • another clean sheet
  • Thorne uninjured
  • The sight of Kevin Phillips during the warm up - could be our best signing this season
  • Like the look of Johnson
  • Hanson and Hendrick playing like they needed to win when called upon
  • Burnley missing the best chance of the match near the end following Shackells error - pretty much a gilt-edged sitter that should have won the game for them. Proof if ever it was needed of the folly of pursuing a possession-based/lets not loose mentality by PC which results in very few chances being created and leaving you exposed to the plethora of good strikers in this league. We are not (yet) Real Madrid/PSV who have the resource, quality and experience to make this approach work, in leagues where the slow-tempo is the norm. The championship is not, and never will be, like that.
  • Great attendance yet again - despite being on monday night and sky and not surprisingly with very few away support (and who can blame them? On a saturday they would have close sold out)

Not so positives

• bizarre lack of momentum until the last fifteen
  • shackell and Fozzy not being on speaking terms
  • Gray looked a real handful in the first quarter of an hour. In hindsight, given our display and consequent lack of chances, I suspect that if he had stayed fit we would have lost this one.
  • continued strange choice of captain in Martin
  • very quiet crowd (wholly as a result of the home teams tactics - its not a great spectacle I'm afraid)
  • somewhat  disappointing home debut by Butterfield (maybe harsh/early days/first home game/needs lots of time to bed-in etc etc - but £4m and better than Hendrick ?……….)
  • first four home games and still no win let-alone even leading in a match. Don't they call that relegation form ?

Given the way the game worked out I’m very happy with the point.  My view of the game was that it was over as a contest after 20 odd minutes when Gray picked up his injury, once that happened our attacking gameplan went out the window and we adjusted our target to a draw.

It was as I said before, the game came around too early for us but we could have made a game of it with Gray putting in 90 minutes.  We could operate without a competitive midfield if our attack and defence are at 100% and we could probably operate without a competitive attack if our midfield and defence were at 100%.  Once Gray went off we were at 50% in attack and midfield.  Hennings was the wrong sub for us if we wanted to go for a win because he has no pace, Long would have been the better option there but I can see why Dyche didn’t take the risk.

At 100% we have one of the best Championship midfields (Arfield, Barton/Marney, Jones, Boyd) but the midfield last night is one of the weakest in the league if you want to keep possession (Arfield is a winger, I’d liken it to you playing Russell in a central midfield two).  Last night the purpose of the midfield was merely to shield the back four and get the ball forward to wingers/striker quickly, it was never going to compete like for like with your midfield 5.

I was impressed with the speed and movement you had in attack but what it missed was a cutting edge (maybe that would have come from Ince?).   For all your domination of midfield I only had my heart in my mouth once all game and felt that we came closer to a goal (though still not very close at all).  If I was a Derby fan I’d probably feel aggrieved to not have taken all 3 points from that but on balance and quality of chances a draw was probably the fair result.

It’d be interesting to hear which of our players impressed you (if any ;)) because it’s easy for established opinions to cloud your judgement of your own team.  On the Derby side Christie impressed me, if he adds a final ball to his game he’ll be class.  Johnson’s range of passing was outstanding, looked every bit the £6 million player on that front.  Keogh also impressed.  Your weak players for me were Forsyth, Thorne and Weimann.  For Weimann I barely remember him for anything other than the dive in the box, did he touch the ball other than that?  I’m guessing Thorne just wasn’t match fit but Forsyth didn’t contribute anything going forward (and defensively that’s our weakest side) and our best attacking opportunities were down his flank.

Finally, I was also convinced that Clement is some kind of magician because Shackell only did his Hollywood pass once all game… ONCE!  Bloke’s a genius :D

This time taking is one of those myths in football I've never understood. Neither has Koeman last season, Ranieri this one etc. etc. Just an poor excuse if things don't start well.

And I'm just criticizing this particular "time-to-gel"-stuff, I'm pretty happy with our start so far. Like you said, good game last night

Archived